W class tank

Started by exmouthcraig, February 27, 2018, 09:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerngooner

I went for FUD so will try my usual range of superglues! Thanks for the response.
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Dorsetmike

The W with broken steps being hacked to a K class hack using a 4MT chassis is in progress; the front end has been swapped with that from the N class body that is donating its chassis to the W; the bit that protrudes from the top front of the cylinder block needs to be shortened a bit so that the chassis can be as far forward in the body as possible for things to line up somewhere near correct; the rear bogie on the 4MT needs the wheelbase shortened to 6'/12mm, that should bring the rear wheels under the bunker rather than under the buffer beam!

A couple of minor mods to the body, the small window at the front of the cabside needs filling and the hole at the front bottom of the tanks also to be filled then make a small round hole for oiling access. Cut a piece of plastic same thickness as the tank side to fit the hole, a very thin piece plastic glued inside the tank when set put the cut to size piece in place then apply superglue; for the cab window similar thin plastick inside but use milliput to fill the hole.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Dorsetmike

Further progress the K is progressing but not much happening to the W as yet.

Tank side holes covered, found some bits of white metal left over from a previous hack, 2 pieces, one in each tank, fitted, should help tracion a bit.

There's not really a secure fixing point for the front screw so I've filled the boiler with pieces of plastic tube 3 pices of different diameters that fit inside each other, should be able to drill and tap to take the Farish screw.

I'm going to have a hunt through the glory boxes to see if I can find a 6' bogie not being at my normal work bench my attempt to drill new axle holes erred nearer 5' than 6', it'd probably run OK but looks daft. Somebody in a previous post suggested M7 bogie, that's closer at 6'6" but fitting it behind a 4MT chassis could be awkward.

The W now has a slot in the underside of the boiler to accomodate the chassis block.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Chris in Prague

Quote from: Bob G on May 04, 2018, 07:46:36 AM
That's amazing news.
I've used the tender of an N class for the tender of a Fowler 4F to Maunsell Q class conversion.
I was wondering what to do with the 2-6-0 chassis! Problem solved.
Bob

Hi Bob,

Would you, please, post the link to your description of your Fowler 4F to Maunsell Q class conversion?

Best regards,
Chris

Chris in Prague

I'm very much looking forward to seeing further detailed descriptions of your various W conversion projects using the N chassis and 3D-printed body.

chrism

Quote from: Dorsetmike on June 14, 2018, 05:35:41 PM
Further progress the K is progressing

Which K will it be?
There is one "survivor", A806 River Torridge, as its U conversion.

When 31806 was at the Mid-Hants, we toyed with the idea of making "River Torridge" plates to go on her as a present to her owner but decided that the casting weight would be more than we could safely handle in our little foundry. I wonder if the pattern I made is still knocking around there somewhere.

Bob G

Quote from: Chris in Prague on January 27, 2020, 08:52:24 AM
That's amazing news.
I've used the tender of an N class for the tender of a Fowler 4F to Maunsell Q class conversion.
Bob

Hi Bob,

Would you, please, post the link to your description of your Fowler 4F to Maunsell Q class conversion?

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris

Here it is.

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40327.msg490227#msg490227

No progress since then. Got distracted and still have not figured out what is wrong with the N PCB that I have.
Any questions please ask.

Best regards
Bob

Dorsetmike

QuoteWhich K will it be?

Not decided yet,

QuoteI'm very much looking forward to seeing further detailed descriptions of your various W conversion projects using the N chassis and 3D-printed body.

Not done much modelling for a few months had a few other things get in he way. Me get up and go seems to have got up and went.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Chris in Prague

Quote from: Bob G on January 27, 2020, 03:42:08 PM
Quote from: Chris in Prague on January 27, 2020, 08:52:24 AM
That's amazing news.
Bob

Hi Bob,

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris

Here it is.

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40327.msg490227#msg490227

No progress since then. Got distracted and still have not figured out what is wrong with the N PCB that I have.
Any questions please ask.

Best regards
Bob

Many thanks, Bob, for this. It's great pity that the failed PCB is holding you up. I'm a little surprised that no-one can help you with this? (I know a model engineer who might be able to diagnose what's wrong. Send me a PM.)

Southerngooner

OK, here is the long-promised update on progress with my W class tank loco.

I've taken a few photos and a short video to demonstrate some of the points. Given the two photo per post limitation I'll do this in a series of posts.

These first two photos show the roughly assembled model roughly assembled to show overall progress. The body still needs to drop a little more onto the chassis, which needs the top of the reverser bracket to be filed down a little. Previous attempts to cut the footplate to fit this can be seen in the white repairs......

I replaced the original chimney with an L1 one from N Brass, and have taken a lot of the added details from the N body to add to the model as detailing proceeds. none of these are fitted at the moment, but holes have been drilled for some handrails and lamp brackets.

The second photo shows the chassis, with it's new rear extension to fit a bogie from the new Farish 4MT tank. The extension was made from plasticard and fits between the two halves of the split chassis using the existing fixing bolts, which I think is a neat solution. I made the deck part of the chassis with two layers of card and added a piece of scrap brass between these. The brass has a slot drilled and shaped in it to match that on the 4MT chassis, to allow the bogie to move laterally. I'll put it all together again when I find the cursed spring! The last time I lost it it seemed to have completely vanished, only to turn up months later in a stock box that must have been open at the time....

I'm not going to even try to shape the cylinders into a more correct shape, as I think this will lose more detail than it will add as I can't see an easy way of doing it.

Onto post 2........
Dave

Chris in Prague

Southerngooner

Right, onto post 2.

This shows the rear of the chassis and the bogie slid out. You can see how the extension fits into the existing chassis, which was done while the chassis was disassembled. I made a paper template of the shape needed then cut this out of what I think was 25 thou (0.5mm) plasticard. This started out a bit flimsy, but once the deck and a horizontal support were added it became nice and rigid. The bogie isn't in quite the right position, but overall it looks OK I think. I've painted the brackets, chassis, wheels, etc with Precision weathered black as a starter, with more weathering to come later as assmebly proceeds.

The second photo shows the underside of the body showing how I cut the print to fit the N chassis. From memory it needed a bit taken out from the underside of the smokebox, which was done slowly to get a good fit, not too loose, not too tight. You can see a couple of plasticard repairs where things have been broken/filed away etc. and these have been made with plasticard, Gorilla superglued on.

Having just made a 3MT chassis fit an Atos N2 for James Street, I will use the same method to fix the chassis to the body. I cut the front of the 3MT chassis to leave a 2mm high piece the width of the chassis, ending just behind the buffer beam. I put two small pieces of square section plasticard either side and then added a top, thus providing a slot for the front of the chassis to fit in. As the N chassis doesn't go right to the front I will have to make another piece to do this, but that's still to come. To fix the rear on the N2 I used the two mounting holes on the 3MT chassis as the fixing points to a new deck within the bunker. This was made with two pieces of plasticard glued in the bunker inner sides, with the top at the top of deck level. A deck, with captive nuts melted into it with gentle heat from a soldering iron, was added and hey presto, you can fix the loco to the chassis easily. When I've finished this part i'll add more photos....

You will notice the absence of those bl**dy footsteps. These have worried me a lot, although I thought I could sort it. It turns out to be easier than I thought, see post 3.

Dave

Southerngooner

And finally post 3.

Those steps made me think rather too much at times! I knew the ones supplied were no good so cut them off as soon as I married the body to the chassis as it was clear they were no good. I assumed it would be easy to fit new brass steps, but then got worried by some posts on here saying it would be difficult.

I bit the bullet today and made a rough brass step of the correct size, with a little bend on the top to allow it to be temporarily fitted to my N (same chassis, same issues...simple!) with a bit of blutac. To my surprise it ran fine in both directions (see videos) so all I have to do now is make some and figure out how to fit them. I've just bought a Silhouette cutter so they might end up in plasticard, or they may end up in brass. The latter means I'll have to drill holes and then half fill them with solder though....

They don't protrude wider than the cylinders so platform clearances should not be an issue, although as "Brickmakers Lane" doesn't have any platforms I'm OK mate (he said hopefully....!)

Hopefully this shows it can be done, and I'd like to think I might get it finished this year, but I've just been tempted with the Tiny Underground Models Q class, so the bits for that are all on order or in my bits box.........

I would upload two short videos of the N running with steps in place but they are MP4 files and I can't work out how to get them on here....any advice gratefully received!
Dave

Dorsetmike

I usually put MP4 files onto Dropbox and post a link like this, one of my weighted Dapol M7s with 9 Maunsels & 2 bogie vanss

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s23ryqnij2whacj/M7%2B11fwds.mp4?dl=0
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Southerngooner

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mp2jpcq1hlqn842/AACTR2PNlQ6EZcsnyEEm2hR7a?dl=0

Try this as a link to Dropbox to see the N running with dummy W footsteps

Dave
Dave

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations