The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveg

Quote from: chrispearce on September 02, 2018, 11:05:51 AM
Thank you gentlemen. Methinks we live in a post-hippy apocalypse.

It's been a long time since I heard anyone being referred to as an, "'orrible little man!" - or worse but this is a family show!

My other half often calls me 'Miserable old git!' then we both laugh.

It's not all bad.  ;)

Dave G

guest311

off topic, so apologies, but

Why were SWOs always little short folk ?

and

How did they manage to make you know that you were the one 'horrible little man' on a 500 man parade that they were shouting at ?

i presume it's all now more a case of Sgt. wilson, [would you mind terribly ...] than Sgt,Major Britten [get fell in...NOW]

joe cassidy

Napoleon was a short person.

Best regards,

Joe (short person)

joe cassidy

I forgot Sachin Tendulkar  :)

The Q

There are now no SWO's as such in the RAF, the General duties trade was scrapped. tThe most senior WO on station is given the Title I believe..

Yes the nastiest SWO I knew was very short, his wife dominated him.
He was banned from the technical Site at one station and from the technical buildings at another (before he arrived!!) as a danger to personnel.
He would not accept personnel working on very high voltage equipment had to work with one hand in a pocket. Neither would he accept that the rubber mats we stood on were not allowed to be polished...

oh his initials were JC...Smith..

Calnefoxile

I used to come across SWO's quite a lot in the early part of my Career during the early 80's, mainly as I was on GRIS (Ground Radio Installation Squadron) from RAF Henlow, this was due to us turning up at Camps and there being no accommodation available for us and us not being allowed to stay in Transit Accommodation, our SNCO's would then have to get the SWO's to sign our F95's to go out on Rate 1's, to allow us to stay in a Hotel.

As has been said, most of them were nasty so & so's and would really try and play hardball with us, but we'd always win through in the end, usually by reloading the wagons and  starting to drive off of camp, by which time Signals had been (yes Teleprinted Signals, no mobile phones or email in those days) passed back and forth all the way up to Station Commander level, to tell them to stop being an a*$e and sign the form. Mind you our life was hell for the time we were on Camp.

To counter act the a*&^%$£s at some Camps, the one we had at Henlow was actually a decent chap, I ended up on SWO's Working Party one year and it was a hot summers day and we'd been painting the old ATC Tower at Henlow, which as an aside had been built out of Mosquito packing crates during the war, in time for AOC's inspection. When the SWO turned up in his Green Allegro, with his yapping Jack Russell in it, he opened the boot and then supplied us with all the beer that he'd got from the Sgt's Mess. On another occasion I was bimbling out of Camp, when his window flew open and the immortal words "You, Airman, come here" came ringing out, everyone comes skidding to a halt, slowly truns towards his office and sighs a sghh of relief when you realise he's not pointing at you, however on this occasion he was pointing at me. So off I trotted towards him, comes to a halt, springs to attention and stammers out "Yes Sir", "Where do you work, young man?" he barks, "GRIS Sir" I replied, "Oh Dear" He says shaking his head "Get out of my sight" he follows up with, and firmly slams his window shut. So off I scuttled with a bit of a grin on my face, you see the I'd just got back off of a 2 week job and the only creases in my trousers where those across the back of my knees, my hair was down across my ears and my shoes were scuffed to hell, so I must have looked a real bag of s*&t to him.

There is a sad end to this story though, as he retired 6 months or so after these incidents after nigh on 40 years Service and I'd heard that he sadly passed away about 12 months after retirement.

Can't for the life of me remember his name, but he was a decent chap, Per Ardua Ad Astra sir.

Regards

Neal.

RailGooner

Quote from: Calnefoxile on September 03, 2018, 02:42:41 PM
I used to come across SWO's quite a lot in the early part of my Career during the early 80's, mainly as I was on GRIS (Ground Radio Installation Squadron) from RAF Henlow,
the one we had at Henlow was actually a decent chap

I was employed out of trade on the Exhibition Production Flight '82-'85. We came under the command of the Advertisement and Recruitment Executive at Stanmore. Early in '82 they decided to address the asbestos in our workshops at Hendon and packed us off to Henlow. I remember the same SWO, but perhaps less fondly than you Neal. We we're a bit of a PITA though and would regularly forget we were in a uniformed organisation. :D

Calnefoxile

Quote from: RailGooner on September 03, 2018, 04:15:02 PM

I was employed out of trade on the Exhibition Production Flight '82-'85. We came under the command of the Advertisement and Recruitment Executive at Stanmore. Early in '82 they decided to address the asbestos in our workshops at Hendon and packed us off to Henlow. I remember the same SWO, but perhaps less fondly than you Neal. We we're a bit of a PITA though and would regularly forget we were in a uniformed organisation. :D

@RailGooner I was there from 84-87 and I remember EPF being at Henlow. EPF were in the bottom hanger, next one down from either the Gym or Tech Stores storage (memories a bit vague these days), opposite MT I think  :hmmm: :hmmm:

We must have bumped into each other at sometime, either in the Bird, NAAFI, Mess or Bowling Alley  ;) ;) ;)

Cheers

Neal.

guest311

Quote from: joe cassidy on September 02, 2018, 01:00:38 PM
Napoleon was a short person.

Best regards,

Joe (short person)

and I believe also a corporal  :)

RailGooner

Quote from: Calnefoxile on September 03, 2018, 04:48:33 PM
@RailGooner I was there from 84-87 and I remember EPF being at Henlow. EPF were in the bottom hanger, next one down from either the Gym or Tech Stores storage (memories a bit vague these days), opposite MT I think  :hmmm: :hmmm:

We must have bumped into each other at sometime, either in the Bird, NAAFI, Mess or Bowling Alley  ;) ;) ;)

Cheers

Neal.

Ah, yes, the Bird! My fav' pastime was playing Joy Division's 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' on the jukebox in the back bar. It was a 33rpm 7" so it sounded like Northern chipmunks on acid! Saturday night was disco night at RAF Chicksands - Michelob and JDs all round please barkeep. And we'd regularly go the Regal in Hitchin for the recording of BBC2's 'Sight and Sound in Concert'. I don't think I've a single serious bad memory from my time at Henlow. Don't think I've a sober memory from my time on EPF! Happy Days! :beers:

Sorry, is this not the 'Happy Thread'? :D

Newportnobby

And today had been going so well..........
I'd had a very pleasant scrambled egg on toast brunch at a local café with my youngest sister, sorted my gym payment for October, arranged my flujab for 9th October and then...............
I rang the Natwest Credit Card helpline number :doh:
All I wanted to know was when I'd receive a new card as my old one is about to expire. That's now 31 minutes of my life I'll never get back before they even answered the call. When he asked how he could help me I said to answer the call more quickly than I could have gone by bus into the branch in Preston. Having done the necessary he asked if there was anything else he could help with and I suggested he changed the dire distorted music that had repeated 7 times while I was waiting and the constant "Your call is important to us. Thank you for your patience" interruptions. :veryangry: :veryangry:
Oh, and anyone suggesting I use internet banking will receive a visit from The Leyland Massive >:D

daffy

Please hold.

Your post is important to us.

One of our members will reply to you shortly.

Thank you for using the NGF.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

RailGooner

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 28, 2018, 01:58:09 PM
I suggested he changed the dire distorted music that had repeated 7 times while I was waiting and the constant "Your call is important to us. Thank you for your patience" interruptions. :veryangry: :veryangry:

I'm convinced that the 'on-hold' music is intentionally loud and distorted in the hope it will annoy the caller such that they give up and hang up! :veryangry: :veryangry2:

Newportnobby

Quote from: daffy on September 28, 2018, 02:10:13 PM
Please hold.

Your post is important to us.

One of our members will reply to you shortly.

Thank you for using the NGF.

Very good :laughabovepost:
At least I can laugh at that rather than let my blood boil, Mike

daffy

You have my sympathy Mike, as I've recently experienced similar calls to banks and insurance companies. One call last week took 45 minutes to elicit a response!  :veryangry:  I had put the phone on speaker, as I tend to do with all these type of calls, and was obeying a call of nature when the disembodied voice from the living room finally announced, "Hello, my name is David, how can I help you?" .

I had many responses flashing through my mind, none of them to do with insurance, all of them unrepeatable here, but all he got was: "One moment please", followed by the sound of a waterfall. ;)

My favourite  :no: tuneful waits are 'Spring' from Vivaldi's Four Seasons, or 'Autumn' from the same suite, with a jangly Willem Tell Overture being enough to torture even the most resilient ear.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations