Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mito, jpendle and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

silly moo

No real flame throwers on cars here but sometimes we could do with them! Leaving SA for good on Sunday. In a recent robbery my iPad wasn't stolen but my phone and laptop were, they had lots of passwords on them so everything had to be changed, adding to the confusion.

daveg

Well safe journey and a happy landing wherever you plan to be, Veronica.  :wave:

Hope you'll still be on the Forum, too.

Dave G

njee20

Either use a password manager, meaning you need only remember one password, or take a unique attribute from the site the password is for; so have NGFpassw0rd or BBCpassw0rd or whatever - easy to remember and unique by site.

Aaaaand remember that despite what we're told, longer and simple is far harder to crack than short and complex. A sentence is immeasurably better than throwing random symbols and numbers into the mix.

If you want to check how secure your password is you can do so here

austinbob

Quote from: njee20 on May 24, 2018, 03:35:36 PM

I don't think I'd wanna be entering any of my passwords into a site not known to me !!!  ;)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

@silly moo
Are you sad to be leaving SA, Veronica, and where are you heading to (if you don't mind me asking, of course)?

njee20

Quote from: austinbob on May 24, 2018, 03:50:43 PM
Quote from: njee20 on May 24, 2018, 03:35:36 PM

I don't think I'd wanna be entering any of my passwords into a site not known to me !!!  ;)

There's healthy scepticism and... ;)

broadsword

Passwords a real pain, in a financial office I worked in we had to change our personal
passwords every week, some people used the football league teams which gave about
100 weeks worth, I used the books of the bible and kept a bible in my desk bookmarked.
No matter the system chosen the humourless techhead who was the  it administrator
wanted us to have passwords like Q2>Jn67??87Wx.....needless to say he was ignored !

steve836

I use loco names and number and keep a book of them near my computer. Then when I need a password I have a diary in which I just enter the number to remind me.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Newportnobby

My e mail account has a password with 7 letters, 3 numbers and a currency sign and still I get spammed now and then ::) It's bad enough me try to remember the password myself! :dunce:

The Q

The Q

passwords..
I have a formula to do with the sites name. Well three formulas,
One for non financially involved sites, Like this one,  the simplest formula
One for shopping. slightly more complicated.
One for banking . Complicated but, easy to remember the formula.

Each of the three  formulas is different from each other, so knowing one won't lead you to the next. There is more to the formulas but there is no way I'd be mentioning that on here!!

daffy

For banking and other key areas, such as the Government Gateway, pensions, etc, I have very complex passwords, only a few of which I can ever recall without sight of a written copy.
For online shopping I use slightly less complex passwords, and NEVER allow a website to keep payment data for future transactions.
For other websites, such as this one, I use simpler passwords, usually of at least ten characters, that are never duplicated.
I also clear out cookies and website data almost every day.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

daffy

Quote from: The Q on May 25, 2018, 08:14:16 AM
G.D.P.R.

I've received yet another email from yet another company I've dealt with sometime in the last thirty years, telling me about the amendments to their data protection T&C's or whatever. I get lots of these, as I'm sure you all do, and sometimes I'm darned if I can remember if I ever dealt with some of the companies that email me :hmmm:

But the thing is, what do I do with this latest one? :uneasy: 

a. Nothing, and stay listed with them.
b. Nothing and be deleted from their listing.
c. Press on a hyperlink button and stay listed with them.
d. Press on a hyperlink and be deleted from their listing.
e. Press on a hyperlink button to bring up a form that I have to amend or complete to stay listed with them.
f. Press on a hyperlink button to bring up a form that I have to amend or complete to be deleted from their listing.
g. Take pot luck, read only the first line to conform it's about GDPR, then delete the email without further action.

Choices, choices......... ???

Now wouldn't it be nice if they all followed the same process. It would have saved an hour or more of my life over the last few weeks if they had!  :(
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

themadhippy

just  use http://enigma.louisedade.co.uk/enigma.html to  make your passwords,set the ring ground and plugboard to something you can remember,then type in your chosen password.Luckily blechley park is half missing so  your passwords should be secure
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

The Q

Quote from: themadhippy on May 25, 2018, 10:34:24 AM
just  use http://enigma.louisedade.co.uk/enigma.html to  make your passwords,set the ring ground and plugboard to something you can remember,then type in your chosen password.Luckily blechley park is half missing so  your passwords should be secure

Well It's Missing a T, I noticed 'cos I used to live there...
An interesting site , but if someone else uses it they can decode your password...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations