The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Or do railway modelling.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

7.15 here and I've just seen what I presume is a gov funded TV advert, reminding us to wear seatbelts.
:worried:

austinbob

Quote from: Bealman on June 12, 2017, 10:19:20 AM
7.15 here and I've just seen what I presume is a gov funded TV advert, reminding us to wear seatbelts.
:worried:
Jeez - what goes on in your model railway room - seatbelts??? Whooow.  :doh:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Bealman

I hammer the Blue Pullman  ;)

Graham

not sure if this should be in this thread, but it made me angry so here goes.
Just went to renew my subscription to Model Rail, I have been buying this since it became a standalone magazine. I purchased the subscription using my UK credit card and was charged in £. I tried to renew the subscription but it will only show me A$ now.
Now here is the beef.
In £ it is £26 to renew but in A$ it is A$62.99.
At todays exchange rate £26 should be A$44
there is no VAT as the delivery is outside of the EU, so as with all other purchases it should be £26 less VAT, SO WHY am I being charged an additional A$19 just to read the magazine upside down.
as an old advert over here once said "NOT HAPPY JAN!!!"
Of course it could be that Bauer media need to recoup the costs of the lost defamation court case against Rebel Wilson.

zopadooper

I cannot comment about the exchange rate but there is no UK VAT on either printed materials or postage so that part of your gripe is unfounded.

silly moo

I too have subscribed to Model Rail from the first issue but now get it in digital form. It is more expensive to get an overseas digital subscription (as opposed to a UK digital one) from Bauer despite there being no postage involved!

I now get it a much better price from Pocketmags.

And while I'm in grumble mode, why is it that new magazine subscribers get free gifts while those who have subscribed for years get nothing?  :(   No gifts stuck to the front of magazines if you live overseas either.

PeteW

Quote from: zopadooper on June 30, 2017, 10:29:57 AM
I cannot comment about the exchange rate but there is no UK VAT on either printed materials or postage so that part of your gripe is unfounded.

But VAT is levied on digital products, which is one reason why ebooks are often more expensive than the printed equivalent.

dannyboy

I do not buy UK magazines here in Ireland. Not only do the importers (?) seem to just pluck a number out of the air for the exchange rate, 9% VAT is also added. A magazine costing £4.00p, will cost something like €6.00 :(. The exchange rate at the moment is about 1.14 and if you then add 9%, the magazine should cost about £5.00p. The phrase 'rip off Ireland' is still used here! I wait until I go into the north to buy my magazines.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Skyline2uk

I am sooooo  :censored: with myself

I was sat happily putting the etched name plates onto my Class 60 "Swindon Dalesman".

All going fine until I got to put the last plate on and it, plus the fret, are nowhere to be seen.

Turned the room upside down looking for it. No luck.

All the advice about storing small parts etc and I just loose it.  :veryangry:

Does anybody have a spare they could part with?

Skyline2uk

austinbob

Quote from: Skyline2uk on July 07, 2017, 03:52:11 PM

I was sat happily putting the etched name plates onto my Class 60 "Swindon Dalesman".

All going fine until I got to put the last plate on and it, plus the fret, are nowhere to be seen.

Skyline2uk
Its just so frustrating when something like that happens. You KNOW its there somewhere but it might just as well be on the moon.  :sorrysign:

As an aside, can I ask what you stick your nameplates on with? I've got a couple to stick on to a Peco Patriot from Jubilee conversion. Bit wary about superglue, thought about using a couple of small dabs of paint. Any advice appreciated.

Hope you find a replacement nameplate for you loco. Of course, Murphy's law says that as soon as you get a replacement you'll find the original. Oh well that's life.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

silly moo

Look on your clothes and the bottom of your shoes.

I suppose you could always give the loco another identity on the other side, as you only see one side at once. Aparrently some people used to paint their coaches different colors on different sides, two coaches for the price of one  :D

My bugbear is transfers, unless I have spares I usually manage to make a real mess, I've got a couple of locos that I haven't applied transfers to because I'm so worried about making a mess.

I hope the plate turns up eventually.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: austinbob on July 07, 2017, 04:00:14 PM
Quote from: Skyline2uk on July 07, 2017, 03:52:11 PM

Skyline2uk
Its just so frustrating when something like that happens. You KNOW its there somewhere but it might just as well be on the moon.  :sorrysign:

As an aside, can I ask what you stick your nameplates on with? I've got a couple to stick on to a Peco Patriot from Jubilee conversion. Bit wary about superglue, thought about using a couple of small dabs of paint. Any advice appreciated.

Hope you find a replacement nameplate for you loco. Of course, Murphy's law says that as soon as you get a replacement you'll find the original. Oh well that's life.
:beers:

Thanks Bob

Of course, this is the biggest irony of it all, thinking of submitting a simple "how to" article to the NGS on this subject.

Chapter one will now be KEEP ALL BITS IN A BAG / BOX"

I use Delux Materials glue and glaze and a cocktail stick.

It's reasonablely fogiving glue which gives you time to adjust and dries clear.

Any obvious excess is easily removed carefully with a cocktail stick as well.

Skyline2uk

Bob Tidbury

I use a thin coat of satin varnish and put the plate on just as the varnish dries ,then a thin coat over the top of the plate to stop it from tarnishing.
This works for me.
Bob Tidbury

Trainfish

My advice would be to build a roundy roundy stand in the middle layout because then you only need 1 nameplate. Problem solved  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations