Is there flush glazing for Minitrix MK1 coaches?

Started by mickster04, January 11, 2017, 07:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickster04

I have a small rake of them, from my earlier days of n gauge buying, I don't run them next to my bachfar coaches mostly because the glazing sticks out (or in) like a sore thumb in comparison. has anyone done flush glazing for them? or is it a case of DIY somehow?

Bob G

If they are boxed, and especially if they are the rarer versions (SR green. BR (S) all over blue, early GW/LMS variants, and all seconds rather than composites) there is still a decent market for them on EBay.

Personally I would sell and get some new Farish Mk 1s with the proceeds. Whatever you spend on them will not enhance their value.

They were beautiful in their time (I even preferred them to the original Farish Mk 1s) but as you say, they have had their day.

Bob

Mito

If you want to keep them then take the glazing out and replace it with PVA glue or, I think it's called, Kristal Kleer or something similar. If you don't want them then I'll relieve you of them. :)
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

longbow

There are one or two suppliers of laser-cut glazing but they don't seem to offer anything for N Gauge. A pity as those Dapol Collett windows could certainly do with it.

ozzie Bill.

longbow

I'd like to see a pic of a coach treated in this way please.

Kristal Klear is expensive to come by but I read elsewhere that similar results can be had with a clear-drying PVA glue.

ozzie Bill.

never tried PVA glue in that manner. No pix currently available from me, sadly, as my layout and stock are "tidied away" prior to the next iteration! However, I am sure that others on this forum have used and posted in the past, so hopefully someone will see your call and supply the necessary.
Cheers, Bill.

mickster04

@Mito et al. here are the minitrix I have, I don't want them, a bit too much work (i have plenty of other things to get on with)

Caveat, I live in NZ, so postage might be an issue, I'll put them up on trademe if they're too far away :p

otherwise, what are these worth (cheap-end, don't wanna raise my expectations ;) )

And can anyone confirm identified them correctly, top left down, the top right down

CK, CK, CK, CK, BSK then 5x BCK

Mito

Sorry wrong colour. :(  I was hoping they might have been maroon or earlier. I've just had a look on ebay and there are a couple there similar with a starting bid of GBP2 and 3.
Waterproof PVA glue is the type to use otherwise it goes cloudy with humidity.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Bob G

Unfortunately these are some of the most common livery produced.
The only one that is special is the BSK, produced in the early 1970s only. Pre Hornby badging.

HTH
Bob

ScottishModeller

Quote from: mickster04 on January 12, 2017, 07:35:09 AM
@Mito et al. here are the minitrix I have, I don't want them, a bit too much work (i have plenty of other things to get on with)

Caveat, I live in NZ, so postage might be an issue, I'll put them up on trademe if they're too far away :p

otherwise, what are these worth (cheap-end, don't wanna raise my expectations ;) )

And can anyone confirm identified them correctly, top left down, the top right down

CK, CK, CK, CK, BSK then 5x BCK
Hi Mick,

I think you will find that your BSK is another BCK?

If you check the window spacing of the passenger section there are different spacings between the windows.

On the BSK the windows had the same spacing between them.

At one point in the early to late 70's I had 2 8 coach rakes of both Maroon and Blue/Grey, plus some individual coaches painted into Crimson/Cream.

I only ever managed to get one BSK, Maroon, boxed as Trix in 10 years of looking for and collecting them.

I sold them all in June last year and could only get an average of £4.00 each in the UK.

Thanks
Thanks
Phil Holman

Adam1701D

I could produce vinyls with clear glazing that would give a flush-glazed effect to the Trix Mk1s.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

longbow

Glazing for the Dapol Colletts might be more popular as these are still in production.

Bob G

Quote from: ScottishModeller on January 12, 2017, 09:32:35 PM

Hi Mick,

I think you will find that your BSK is another BCK?

If you check the window spacing of the passenger section there are different spacings between the windows.

On the BSK the windows had the same spacing between them.

At one point in the early to late 70's I had 2 8 coach rakes of both Maroon and Blue/Grey, plus some individual coaches painted into Crimson/Cream.

I only ever managed to get one BSK, Maroon, boxed as Trix in 10 years of looking for and collecting them.

I sold them all in June last year and could only get an average of £4.00 each in the UK.

Thanks

There were only ever three body mouldings produced - one for the CK, one for the BCK, and one for a BG which should have been on a 57' chassis but also used the 63' chassis. That was why the Lima BG was useful, as it was unwittingly the correct length as it too was produced on a 63' chassis but to 1:160 not 1:148.
There were plans for a sleeping car but these were never produced.

The SK and BSK were simply repaints without the yellow first class band above the windows.
However, the SK and BSK were produced in such limited numbers compared to the BCK and CK they should have a higher resale value - especially if they are boxed in the correct box.

AS I said before, maroon and blue/grey were the most common liveries produced. Coaches that were SR green/SR all over blue/WR/Great Western/LMS have a much higher value (especially when boxed).

HTH
Bob

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations