Buying secondhand locos

Started by daffy, January 04, 2017, 11:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Quote from: Dr Al on January 05, 2017, 03:11:01 PM
One essential truth - whether you like secondhand or not, with the current batch production nature of models, it's almost a certainty you'll have to resort to the secondhand market sooner or later to get things that haven't been produced again or produced recently.

Cheers,
Alan - 90% of my fleet is secondhand.
Very true. Most of my second hand locos are fairly recent but no longer available. Plus a few old classics like the Peco Jubilee.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Dr Al on January 05, 2017, 03:11:01 PM
One essential truth - whether you like secondhand or not, with the current batch production nature of models, it's almost a certainty you'll have to resort to the secondhand market sooner or later to get things that haven't been produced again or produced recently.

Cheers,
Alan - 90% of my fleet is secondhand.

Very true, I made the conscious decision two years ago to get all the out of production models, including chassis for kits, I want before good ones were no longer available cheaply.  Given what has happened since last summer to prices I'm very glad I did.

BramptonBranch

Whats the general opinion on paying just shy of £100 for a second hand Minitrix warship?

Its the maroon version but probably could have one resprayed for less?

Cheers
Andy
You can never have to many Warships!

Snowwolflair

Quote from: BramptonBranch on January 05, 2017, 06:55:35 PM
Whats the general opinion on paying just shy of £100 for a second hand Minitrix warship?

Cheers
Andy

Only if it is perfect and has lived in a dark cupboard for 35 years.  Check perishables like traction tires, plastic parts for age cracks etc. and no trace of oil on the box.

austinbob

Quote from: BramptonBranch on January 05, 2017, 06:55:35 PM

Cheers
Andy
I bought a refurbished and repainted Minitrix warship for abought half that price. £100 is definitely expensive in my opinion.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Byegad

Quote from: njee20 on January 05, 2017, 11:24:34 AM
I've bought dozens of second hand locos, I had one 350 which was absolutely filthy, and a 156 where the contact springs were damaged, but never had any major problems.

I wouldn't pay huge amounts, but have paid £70ish for plenty of locos, IME the failure rate people experience is vastly exaggerated, and I reckon it's a bathtub curve of failure - stuff fails when new, or very old, but rarely in the middle!

Even if you pay 30% less than new prices as long as fewer than 1/3 fail you're quids in. Do people really claim on the warranty on more than 1/3 models?! Even if you buy something which doesn't work you can sell for spares and recoup quite a bit. That assumes you don't just return it. If something is advertised as working and doesn't you've got a strong case.

In the case of Dapol my return rate on New models is verging on 60%! However I have several Dapol locomotives, both Steam and Diesel,  bought second hand and the return rate is 0%.

Snowwolflair

My experience with Dapol is well designed, badly built (assembled).

when they are put together properly they are good.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Byegad on January 06, 2017, 02:25:25 PM

In the case of Dapol my return rate on New models is verging on 60%!

@Byegad
Ah, but how many have you bought as a percentage is no use without the other number e.g. if you bought one and returned it the return rate would be 100%!

austinbob

Not sure about the good design claim. That cardan shaft drive seems designed to disengage with the slightest provocation and designed to be a pain to re-engage - small black shaft to go in small black hole in small black cab. Well thought out...
And those tiny thin wires between loco and tender which break when you breath on them. Mmmm.
Still, they do look the part when  they're working.
:hmmm: :beers:

Bob Austin

Dr Al

Quote from: austinbob on January 06, 2017, 02:44:17 PM
Not sure about the good design claim.

Agreed - there is some good design, but it can't be blanket generalised IMHO - I'd add the tender pickups design A3, A4, and onwards as being very inherently poor.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Snowwolflair

Oh they are fragile and must be carefully handled.

The times I have seen a Dapol loco carelessly lifted by the tender, the cardan comes out and the body twists breaking a wire, that's bad handling not bad design.  Same goes for the Schools with the loco being picked up by squeezing the valve gear.

Byegad

@newportnobby
I have bought 5 9Fs and returnd 3 as they persistently derailed, a Britannia, which shed both traction tyres within 3 feet of very gentle running and a Class 27 which didn't run in the shop so possibly doesn't count as a 'return' but  I had my card in my hand when it didn't move!

4/7x100=57.142857recurring %. So verging on 60%. I also have, bought very second hand 2 9Fs, a Britannia and a class 27, all Minitrix and all faultless. One of my 'better' Dapol 9Fs has had the pony truck hoisted off the rails and locked as it derailed everywhere and an Ivatt 2MT with both pony trucks similarly locked up for the same reason.
This is very bad as none of my other 99 Minitrix (Continental and UK outline), Fleischmann, Graham Farish (Poole and Chinese), Union Mills, Arnold, Kato and Tomix locomotives have had anything lkike the issues that 4 new Dapols had. My conclusion is that Dapol are not worth the bother and I'll not buy another for many a year.
Yes I know they look good, but I expect to run and enjoy my locos, not admire them on a siding, wishing they ran well.

austinbob

Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 06, 2017, 02:54:03 PM
Oh they are fragile and must be carefully handled.

The times I have seen a Dapol loco carelessly lifted by the tender, the cardan comes out and the body twists breaking a wire, that's bad handling not bad design.  Same goes for the Schools with the loco being picked up by squeezing the valve gear.
In my opinion if a loco needs excessively careful handling to prevent damage or malfunction then that is poor, not good design.
I've had two Dapol locos replaced  because of broken wires out of the box. I also bought an A4 where the cardan shaft had fallen. Inside the loco, again a brand new loco straight out of the box. Had to dismantle it to put things in order!!

Of course this is all a bit off the second loco thread now. Apologies...

Bob Austin

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Byegad on January 06, 2017, 03:04:48 PM
@newportnobby
I have bought 5 9Fs and returnd 3 as they persistently derailed, a Britannia, which shed both traction tyres within 3 feet of very gentle running and a Class 27 which didn't run in the shop so possibly doesn't count as a 'return' but  I had my card in my hand when it didn't move!

4/7x100=57.142857recurring %. So verging on 60%. I also have, bought very second hand 2 9Fs, a Britannia and a class 27, all Minitrix and all faultless. One of my 'better' Dapol 9Fs has had the pony truck hoisted off the rails and locked as it derailed everywhere and an Ivatt 2MT with both pony trucks similarly locked up for the same reason.
This is very bad as none of my other 99 Minitrix (Continental and UK outline), Fleischmann, Graham Farish (Poole and Chinese), Union Mills, Arnold, Kato and Tomix locomotives have had anything lkike the issues that 4 new Dapols had. My conclusion is that Dapol are not worth the bother and I'll not buy another for many a year.
Yes I know they look good, but I expect to run and enjoy my locos, not admire them on a siding, wishing they ran well.

So when are you going to list them on Ebay as faulty, spares and repairs?  I could do with a couple of cheap 9Fs, especially as the front bogie is easily fixed.   :D

Byegad

No they went back to Dapol for them to sell as A,B,C or D category rubbish.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations