Welcome to thefarishshed.com

Started by DesertHound, December 29, 2015, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertHound

Dear All

Firstly, I hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas period and I wish all a happy and healthy 2016.

Over the past month or so, well, maybe two, I've been working on a little project. My interest, as some might know, is purely in UK built (that is Poole, Dorset) Graham Farish N Gauge, particularly diesels.

I have built my knowledge up rapidly over the past few years, with a very special thank you having to go to a certain Mr Russell Hobbs of Dorset for a lot of that. It's been a fun task learning, and indeed I still am learning, but I wanted to make the task easier for those in the future who might be as passionate about the subject as I am. I therefore set about trying to encapsulate all of this information and provide an "information repository" to those who might find it useful.

The aim of the site is to become a resource for all things Poole Farish, from the history, the development of various chassis and components, to tutorials and hints and tips. You can find on the site previous catalogues from 1971 - 1999 (click on the thumbnails to open them). Where resources have been harnessed from elsewhere I have endeavoured to note this and provide a link.

The site is not as slick yet as I intend it to be, and neither is it complete. However, as with all sites, it is a work in progress and will evolve over the course of 2016. It is not a forum in the way that this site is, and as such, is not intended to compete with what we have here. It would be nice to have some interactive element in the future, perhaps via comments on articles etc. and a blog section, but it has not been set up as a forum, since we have a fantastic resource in NGF already.

It would be nice if those with expertise / knowledge would like to contribute in 2016 and this could be via the writing of articles with pictures. The idea is not to heavily (if at all) edit contributions, except for rearranging / cropping pictures and changes fonts etc - i.e. cosmetic changes.

The site hasn't been set up to make money, nor to cover Graham Farish under Bachmann ownership. Please bear with me with regards to some of the factual information - use the "contact us" tab to let me know if you spot anything you think is incorrect. As I said, it's a work in progress, but works in progress have to start somewhere!

Enjoy what's up already at www.thefarishshed.com

Happy 2016

Daniel
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

ian787

:thankyousign:

Thanks Daniel!

It looks like the start of an excellent resource

Ian

railsquid

Hyperion

Dan,

Love the idea and the site itself. Let me know if I can contribute in any shape or form.

Jeff
DC or DCC, that is the question.

mickd247

:thankyousign: Dan

I have a large fleet of Farish (Poole) loco's and the development of this site will I am sure assist everyone greatly in maintaining the older models in good order. Bookmarked the page already.

:beers:

Mick

DesertHound

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Jeff (and indeed others), if there's something you'd like to write then please do, and I'll host it. So long as it's clear, with reasonable photos, then I will do my best to desist from editing it. Even if it needed a slight tweak, I'd only do so with your consent and anything posted would be credited to the editor, not me.

Certain information sits well in a forum, and some information sits better on a website. I am forever mindful of what has been built out of this forum and there's no reason why it couldn't be posted on NGF too. Indeed at some point I would like to add references (hyperlinks) at the bottom of subjects and it would be fantastic if many of them brought viewers to this site.

With the above in mind, feel free to comment on the following;

1) What would you like to see on the site (topics, articles, research)?
2) What articles / subjects would you like to add yourself?

Lastly, if you have any pertinent information regarding Graham Farish that you don't feel is readily in the public domain but should be, then I'd love to mention it on the site (complete with credits to the contributor). I plan to interview a few folk next year but that's subject to their agreement!

Remember it's Farish in the Poole days, up until the Bachmann takeover, or if you want to stretch it out, up until the factory closure.

Kindest

Daniel
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

NeMo

Didn't see the 'Peak' chassis up... while mine has been tweaked a bit to have narrower bogies, I'd be happy to send along a photo if relevant. It's a China-made one, but I believe the chassis is unchanged (more's the pity).

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

DesertHound

Morning NeMo

My knowledge drops off rapidly with most things post Poole but if we can ascertain it's a Poole design in terms of chassis then it would be great to have a piece on that. I thought the design changed on pretty much all diesels with the exception of a few (class 20 / class 08 after the move to China) but if the design is the same, then the bogie narrowing project is most relevant.

Kindest

Daniel

NeMo

Well, let's invoke Cunningham's Law. I'm going to state the following:

"The Peak chassis from Bachman-Farish circa 2012 as used on their model of D186 is the same chassis as the one used by the Poole factory."

Cunningham's Law states that "the best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer" so with any luck someone will quickly correct me for being a total idiot and how could I possibly not notice the difference in the thread of the screws!

Cheers, NeMo

msr

I thought the Peaks were a product of the post-Poole era. My first was bought on April 1st 2006.

Are the above posts perhaps thinking instead of the Class 40?

NeMo

Nope. Fully aware of the difference. But definitely expecting to bow to your better knowledge about whether Farish actually made Classes 44, 45 and 46 in the Poole era. Just such a primitive model (split chassis, no DCC socket, no lights, override bogies) that to be a product of 2006 seems remarkable!  :confused1:

EDIT: you're quite right... 2006...

http://www.railexpress.co.uk/news/green-peaks-and-ecml-electrics-from-graham-farish-

Cheers, NeMo

Quote from: msr on December 30, 2015, 11:10:17 AM

mark100

Quote from: DesertHound on December 29, 2015, 04:48:49 PM
Dear All

Firstly, I hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas period and I wish all a happy and healthy 2016.

Over the past month or so, well, maybe two, I've been working on a little project. My interest, as some might know, is purely in UK built (that is Poole, Dorset) Graham Farish N Gauge, particularly diesels.

I have built my knowledge up rapidly over the past few years, with a very special thank you having to go to a certain Mr Russell Hobbs of Dorset for a lot of that. It's been a fun task learning, and indeed I still am learning, but I wanted to make the task easier for those in the future who might be as passionate about the subject as I am. I therefore set about trying to encapsulate all of this information and provide an "information repository" to those who might find it useful.

The aim of the site is to become a resource for all things Poole Farish, from the history, the development of various chassis and components, to tutorials and hints and tips. You can find on the site previous catalogues from 1971 - 1999 (click on the thumbnails to open them). Where resources have been harnessed from elsewhere I have endeavoured to note this and provide a link.

The site is not as slick yet as I intend it to be, and neither is it complete. However, as with all sites, it is a work in progress and will evolve over the course of 2016. It is not a forum in the way that this site is, and as such, is not intended to compete with what we have here. It would be nice to have some interactive element in the future, perhaps via comments on articles etc. and a blog section, but it has not been set up as a forum, since we have a fantastic resource in NGF already.

It would be nice if those with expertise / knowledge would like to contribute in 2016 and this could be via the writing of articles with pictures. The idea is not to heavily (if at all) edit contributions, except for rearranging / cropping pictures and changes fonts etc - i.e. cosmetic changes.

The site hasn't been set up to make money, nor to cover Graham Farish under Bachmann ownership. Please bear with me with regards to some of the factual information - use the "contact us" tab to let me know if you spot anything you think is incorrect. As I said, it's a work in progress, but works in progress have to start somewhere!

Enjoy what's up already at www.thefarishshed.com

Happy 2016

Daniel
I like the site and the concept and have just sent links out to a few friends also interested in this scale.
Thanks for spending the time putting it together and for sharing.

Mark
You cant get better than a Betta Fish

Bangor Lad

Bangor Lad
aka Dave
Winner N Gauge Society Building Cup 2015

Bespoke building services. PM for details

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/78608332@N07/albums

railsquid

Quote from: msr on December 30, 2015, 11:10:17 AM
I thought the Peaks were a product of the post-Poole era. My first was bought on April 1st 2006.

Thinking about it a little (dangerous, I know, and note I'm not by any means an authoritative source) I don't ever recall seeing a "Poole-era" Peak during my perusals of Ebay etc. Looking at the old catalogues, "modern image" locomotives of the following classes are listed:

- Class 08
- Class 31
- Class 33
- Class 37
- Class 47
- Class 57
- Class 87
- Class 90

- Class 08
- Class 20
- Class 25
- Class 31
- Class 33
- Class 37
- Class 40
- Class 47
- Class 50
- Class 52
- Class 55
- Class 56
- Class 91

- Class 08
- Class 20
- Class 25
- Class 33
- Class 37
- Class 40
- Class 47
- Class 50
- Class 52
- Class 55
- Class 56
- Class 91

- Class 08
- Class 20
- Class 25
- Class 33
- Class 40
- Class 47
- Class 50
- Class 52
- Class 55

List might not be 100% accurate but definitely no Peaks.

DesertHound

NeMo - I'm sure you'll think of something else interesting you might want to post on thefarishshed.com (the offer is always there) and thank you at least for your consideration - that's exactly the kind if material that will make the site a useful resource. I'd still be interested in what you've done with the Bachmann bogie narrowing - perhaps something to start a thread on here at NGF.

Mark100 - thank you for forwarding the address on to your friends. I haven't publicised the site outside of this forum yet, mainly because of the following; 1) it's not yet complete enough to my liking, 2) I'm not a member on other forums and would prefer feedback amongst friends who I know on this site. As I mentioned before, I'm happy for feedback via this thread, via the contact us tab on the website, or via private message on NGF.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations