Welcome to thefarishshed.com

Started by DesertHound, December 29, 2015, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertHound

Guys - a request for help.

I've added a page on the top menu titled "useful websites". The idea here is to promote everything Poole Farish available on the internet. I've picked out some of the obvious sites (including our very own NGF  ;D) but I'd like to know of some more.

They don't have to be exclusively focused on Poole Farish, or indeed Farish or N Gauge, but there should be some useful information / products offered for the Poole Farish enthusiast.

I know some of the members of this site have their own websites / small businesses so please let me know if you think it's appropriate to add it (keeping in mind it should be Poole related).

You can find the page here; http://thefarishshed.com/useful-websites/

Kindest

Daniel
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

scotsoft

Quote from: newportnobby on December 30, 2015, 05:13:35 PM
Quote from: DesertHound on December 30, 2015, 03:53:45 PM

Mick - thanks for the kind words. Scans of the 1983 and 1987 price lists might come in handy if I haven't got them posted already, which I don't think I have.

Kindest

Daniel

I'll see if I can find someone with a scanner, Dan.

You could try taking pictures Mick. Use a tripod to keep your camera very steady and you should manage a page per shot.

Cheers John.

Newportnobby

Quote from: scotsoft on December 30, 2015, 09:35:34 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on December 30, 2015, 05:13:35 PM
Quote from: DesertHound on December 30, 2015, 03:53:45 PM

Mick - thanks for the kind words. Scans of the 1983 and 1987 price lists might come in handy if I haven't got them posted already, which I don't think I have.

Kindest

Daniel

I'll see if I can find someone with a scanner, Dan.

You could try taking pictures Mick. Use a tripod to keep your camera very steady and you should manage a page per shot.

Cheers John.

I'll see what sort of results I can come up with, John.
No doubt I'll be infringing a host of copyright laws, though :worried:

Bealman

Daniel, it's a great idea and I hope I can help as I started out in that era and have some old catalogues somewhere.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the site yet! A technical point, I know, but I'm on a tablet at the moment and the link is just showing up as a black screen with lines  ???

I'll look on my real computer later today.  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

DesertHound

George - ah, that's good info for me to know. With regards to tablets, I've only tried from an ipad and it's fine. I wonder if there's an issue with certain web browsers? I won't be able to look into it until after my holidays, but thanks all the same. It should work fine on your PC, but if it doesn't then do let me know. I did set the site up to be Oz friendly and I can testify to that since I've had some visitors down there today! Six hits in Oz today to be precise.

Mick - give me your address and I'll send round PC Plod!  :beers:
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on December 30, 2015, 09:55:11 PM
Daniel, it's a great idea and I hope I can help as I started out in that era and have some old catalogues somewhere.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the site yet! A technical point, I know, but I'm on a tablet at the moment and the link is just showing up as a black screen with lines  ???
Which tablet/OS? Works fine on Android (4.4 / Nexus 5).

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

For the record it also works fine on an iPod with an older iOS version (which is starting to crash on some websites like the BBC).

DesertHound

Good evening All

A few tweaks to www.thefarishshed.com today. It appears that viewers enjoy looking at pictures (and why not), so I have begun the process of categorising the production run. You'll find it's underway here;

http://thefarishshed.com/the-turntable-2/

As you can see, there's only been classes 08 / 20 / 33 added so far but that will expand over the next few weeks. I might even try the mighty class 47 next - a truly mammoth task given the number of liveries produced. I've only catalogued those I have pictures for (which is most models) and will seek out pictures for those I don't have.

I've tried to take pictures from the same angle for each class so that comparisons are easier to make.

I hope you enjoy the pictures and whilst there's only three classes so far, this will be added to over the coming weeks.

Kindest

Daniel

railsquid

Bob Tidbury

Hi Deserthound I've just got round to looking on your website ,Wow what a useful and informative site,more power to your elbow in adding info over time .
I have bookmarked it on my IPad and look forward to reading it from time to time. Exelent clear pictures and text will be a great help to a lot of our members.
Thank you  very much for all the time and effort you have put into this project.
Bob

DesertHound

Thank you for the encouragement guys.

I've updated the magnet page to include a small section on how to fit the neodymium magnets. You can find it here;

http://thefarishshed.com/spares-box-2/magnets/

DMU's have also been added to "The Turntable" section, except for BR Blue as mine is still shrink wrapped in it's original box and I haven't brought myself round to opening it yet.

Daniel

Tank

Quote from: DesertHound on January 10, 2016, 06:59:05 AM
DMU's have also been added to "The Turntable" section.....

Good picture of the unit that got me into the NSE livery. :thumbsup:  I swapped a lot of Fleischmann track in Janes Trains, in Tooting, for two sets of the Class 159 in about 1995.  To me, they were very modern looking and super smooth runners back then.  I must get them DCC'd and run them again, as they've been stored for about 8 years. :-\

martyn

Hi Deserthound;
with regards to the neodymium magnets, these used to be available on EBay as a direct replacement for the Farish magnets; they were identical in size, and not the four cylindrical ones which you show on the website. I haven't seen them advertised for quite some time.
I also found that attaching one to a screwdriver when taking out or putting back the very small screws of Bach Farish tender drive, (or class 03/04 diesel chassis), when changing the 6-pin blank for a chip (or the extra traction tyred wheels) meant that the screws didn't end up 'missing'.... :)
Martyn

Brail

Great initiative Dan!

Are you going to include oddballs made for foreign markets too?
I'm thinking for instance about the class 08 made in Dutch Railways grey/yellow livery to represent a NS serie 500/600 diesel shunter with running number 622 (sold under ref# 100D)

Bruce

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations