Speeding Fines - just a heads up

Started by daffy, April 22, 2017, 08:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengi

Quote from: newportnobby on April 22, 2017, 04:41:46 PM
Having driven cars on company business (mainly motorway) and for personal use (a mixture of roads) I can say since I passed my driving test in 1982 I have clocked up over ½ million miles so have, to a certain extent, seen it all.

With the state of the roads at present far too many are busy avoiding potholes instead of paying attention to what's further ahead as trying to make a claim off councils for damage to a vehicle is a nightmare.

Agree -  I am certainly driving slower on country roads (which is not bad thing) and avoiding any very narrow country lane in the wet (because there could be a pot-hole under a puddle).
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

trkilliman

Quote from: GrahamB on April 22, 2017, 08:37:43 PM
So, from Monday, I expect the number of accidents to rise because people will be paying more attention to their speedometers than what is going on around them. Madness.

Well, you make an interesting point. Given that there will be no allowance for going a couple of MPH faster many people will be transfixed to their speedo. A route I use frequently goes from 50 to 30 in what seems a quite short distance...with of course speed cameras. Whilst I certainly do not condone blatant speeding I do think this is going to cause some problems. Is this maybe another way of raising money, by cleverly capitalising on the road safety ticket?

austinbob

So, from Monday, I expect the number of accidents to rise because people will be paying more attention to their speedometers than what is going on around them. Madness.
:no: :o
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

Quote from: Pengi on April 22, 2017, 09:00:46 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on April 22, 2017, 04:41:46 PM
Having driven cars on company business (mainly motorway) and for personal use (a mixture of roads) I can say since I passed my driving test in 1982 I have clocked up over ½ million miles so have, to a certain extent, seen it all.

With the state of the roads at present far too many are busy avoiding potholes instead of paying attention to what's further ahead as trying to make a claim off councils for damage to a vehicle is a nightmare.

Agree -  I am certainly driving slower on country roads (which is not bad thing) and avoiding any very narrow country lane in the wet (because there could be a pot-hole under a puddle).

There are some up here so deep that I believe have Australia under puddles! See you soon, George!
@Bealman

austinbob

I read somewhere recently that people, totally fed up with potholes, have been planting flowers in them... A true story...
:hmmm: :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

zwilnik

Quote from: austinbob on April 22, 2017, 09:25:33 PM
I read somewhere recently that people, totally fed up with potholes, have been planting flowers in them... A true story...
:hmmm: :)

One town in the US has been celebrating the birthday of one of its potholes :) so it's not just a UK thing.  http://mashable.com/2016/04/27/pothole-birthday-party/#1O_Pm.XK7SqQ

njee20

Quote from: trkilliman on April 22, 2017, 09:04:23 PM

Well, you make an interesting point. Given that there will be no allowance for going a couple of MPH faster many people will be transfixed to their speedo.

Will there not? They're not going to start magically issuing penalties for 31mph in a 30 on Monday, the equipment isn't accurate enough. If people actually can't tell the difference betweeen 30 and 40 without staring at their speedo they shouldn't be driving!

I predict precisely zero difference on Monday. It's a different fine structure, they're not trebling speed cameras and patrols overnight.   

austinbob

Quote from: njee20 on April 22, 2017, 10:14:21 PM
Quote from: trkilliman on April 22, 2017, 09:04:23 PM

Well, you make an interesting point. Given that there will be no allowance for going a couple of MPH faster many people will be transfixed to their speedo.

Will there not? They're not going to start magically issuing penalties for 31mph in a 30 on Monday, the equipment isn't accurate enough. If people actually can't tell the difference betweeen 30 and 40 without staring at their speedo they shouldn't be driving!

I predict precisely zero difference on Monday. It's a different fine structure, they're not trebling speed cameras and patrols overnight.
Spot on analysis...
:beers:

Bob Austin

Pengi

Given that there are many of us that did not realise that there is a different fine structure, I am inclined to agree with njee20 that there will be little difference.

Are we all done on this discussion then?
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

oscar

Quote from: austinbob on April 22, 2017, 10:40:14 AM
Doesn't alter the fact that a speed limit is a 'limit' and should not be exceeded. I'd hate you to be one of the 7% you quote, involved in an accident.
Don't normally need to gaze at your speedo to know you're speeding. Most of the time its damned obvious.
I would imagine people using their mobile phones whilst driving account far more for the 'inattention' accidents.
:beers:

You're obviously a bairn, too young to remember when there were NO speed limits except where there were street lights less than 200 yards apart?
One could drive at 120mph in a car that would take half a mile to stop, yet in over 3 million miles I've probably seen two or three bad accidents.
And I see lots of drivers gaze avidly at their speedos; or maybe they are txtng?

PLD

Very Doubtful; even in the best cars they aren't that accurate so there must remain a degree of discretion...

In my car (a Vauxhall - considered one of the more accurate) comparing with an independent calibrated electronic system, when the car says 30 I'm actually doing 31, when the car says 40 it's right, when the car says 60 I'm doing 59 and when it says 70 I'm only doing 67.7...

A friends Volvo always reads around 5% more than he's actually doing, while another's Golf is doing nearly 75 when it says 70 on the speedometer

njee20

Dunno how you're calibrating those numbers, but it's illegal for any speedo to underread. So you can be doing 70 with an indicated 75, but not the other way around.

NinOz

I don't think speed is a direct cause of many accidents so the 7% is about right; but it sure does modify the outcome.

From my experience most accidents seem to be due to inattention or distraction, poor ability to judge relative speeds, following too closely and not being able to read the road and traffic conditions.  Couple these with the amazingly slow reaction times and weird decision making skills of some gives interesting events.

Many I know who knowingly break the limits usually have a sense of entitlement or an attitude of; they can't restrict my freedom.
Having to listen to the bleating of it is "just revenue raising" wears upon one.  Want to "stick it to the man" then don't exceed speed limits and deny them the revenue.

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Bealman

Double demerit points on the Anzac Day weekend until wednesday!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

GrahamB

Interesting comments. My car (Ford Focus) has something I thought was a bit of a toy at first - not to mention a bit of a joke with a one litre, three cylinder engine, a speed limiter!

It's become more important that the cruise control as, when you have average speed cameras, it allows you to set to the limit but still cope with the occasional dip in speed without playing with the cruise.

Another unintentional "benefit" was that I got stopped for speeding a while back in a thirty. It's a known area for Police Officers drying their hair so I always put the limiter on. I had the good sense to keep the engine running until he explained why he had stopped me and he was very irritated when I took my phone out and took a photo of him, the dash and him again. We then had a very interesting conversation which I wish I had recorded but, needless to say, words of advice were exchanged and I went on my way without a ticket.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations