advice on buying a drone

Started by Pengi, April 14, 2017, 01:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

I went to a local scenic spot last year and found one hovering in my face. I looked over to the clifftop and saw the guy with the controls.

I swiped out it of my face onto the ground and was out of there before he could climb down the cliff and pick it up.

I don't think I've ever been so annoyed in my life.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

B757-236GT

This is always the issue with drones as they can be flown from anywhere. My 1700mm P51-D doesnt do VTOL so well which is why i only ever fly at my flying field, im covered by the insurance up to £50m public liability and i have plenty of open space. I will also say i had more fun flying the indoor one rather than the outdoor one as i found it more of challenge such as trying to land on that table or on the window sill.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

daffy

Like you George I am no great fan of drones. To start with, they...er... drone! It's an awful noise close up, and the big ones make a real racket.

Almost exactly two years ago I walked to the top of the Malvern Hills in Worcestershire one evening to watch the beautiful sunset across the Welsh Marches. It was a lovely still evening with bands of cloud radiating the myriad colours of the fading sunlight. I was alone on top of my world, save for a local lady who rode by on an enormous horse. Peace reigned supreme.

Then a guy arrived with his wife, took out this big white drone, and spent the last half hour of sunset flying it in circles around the top of the hill, with me at the centre of its operations!

I was sad that I had not brought my camera with me to photograph the waning sun. Sadder still that I had not brought a shotgun.

This damned thing had a camera on it that was showing a green light, so I guess there is footage somewhere of a grumpy old git sat atop the Worcester Beacon mouthing obscenities. My only joy - beside the sunset itself - is that he lugged it all the way up and got me in his frame for his pains.

Buy one if you must, but fly responsibly and with consideration.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Lankyman on April 14, 2017, 09:25:20 PM
My advice - Don't. Too easy to invade other people's privacy.

Ron

Yes I agree. I hate to be a kill joy but if I ever get one hovering over my house I will get my my air rifle out and have a bit of target practice! Although a great concept I totally hate them as they are already a threat to air traffic.

Pengi

There was a drone flying over St Mary's this afternoon  - alongside planes from Southampton Airport  :o

P.S. I will only be flying a drone indoors.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Pete @ EGLM

Mr Sprue

My eldest son is stationed at RAF Boulmer (google it!), trust me when I say these things are a concern!

gc4946

I saw one flown on York racecourse this lunchtime as I was on my way to the model railway show.

As long as they're used in open spaces, and under close control of the operator, I wouldn't have any problems with them.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Mr Sprue

Quote from: gc4946 on April 15, 2017, 10:21:14 PM
I saw one flown on York racecourse this lunchtime as I was on my way to the model railway show.

As long as they're used in open spaces, and under close control of the operator, I wouldn't have any problems with them.

It really depends on the operator and what their intentions are! I for one would not appreciate taking off on a flight to Malaga or somewhere with of one these things being flown directly into one of the turbines of the aircraft I am a passenger on!

scotsoft

This has gone way past giving advice on buying a quadcopter so I am looking this thread.

Cheers John.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations