Isopropyl Alcohol misting over scenery

Started by Drakken, October 12, 2018, 04:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

I've been watching Boulder Creek Railroad (Luke Towan) on Youtube & it seems whenever there is any scenery to be glued he uses Glue then Isopropyl Alcohol then Glue again all mistings. Am I missing something but I thought Isopropyl Alcohol was used to unstick glue rather than help.

A little lost on this one or am I thinking of something else other than Isopropyl Alcohol for ungluing  :beers:

njee20

I wonder if it's to do with breaking surface tension, much like adding washing up liquid to the mix when ballasting.

Given how IPA can strip paint and what not I'd be reluctant to do that.

dannyboy

IPA can be used as a surface tension 'breaker'.  Just had a look on the net and there are quite a lot of scientific studies on the subject.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Snowwolflair

If it's the solvent base of the glue he is thinning the glue in situation to allow it to make a stronger bond.

outofgauge

He uses mod podge as his glue -mixed with water and a blob of dishwashing soap ( fairy liquid to you and me ) I avidly watch his videos on you tube -he is a master at scenery -and I've learnt a fair bit of watching him - then trying his technique  - Defoe worth a look see in my opinion ! Mod podge I get from the Range here in Southport- not that expensive
Regards
Neil

Remember -this is not a practice ! One go only !
And I was Born ready .

daffy

Quote from: dannyboy on October 12, 2018, 05:49:34 PM
IPA can be used as a surface tension 'breaker'.  Just had a look on the net and there are quite a lot of scientific studies on the subject.

And some advertising too - note the opening statements re 'easing tension':

https://hinterlandbeer.com/beers/india-pale-ale/

Best poured neat, but not onto the scenery. ;)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

crewearpley40

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations