It's only a matter of time

Started by cycletrak9, December 30, 2016, 10:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

javlinfaw7

Diesel hydraulics inspired one of the biggest forms of mass transport  think V200 and

Webbo

Not knowing what a V200 is, I resorted to Google which tells me that it can be a German diesel hydraulic loco built in the 50s or a type of Chinese ute (pick-up truck). I exclude the Chinese ute even though it can be bought with a turbo diesel motor.

I don't follow the reference to the Kombi van except that the V200 locomotive shows some resemblance to it. Right?

Webbo

daffy

I think the reference is to this loco @Webbo

"DB Class V 200.0 (from 1968: Class 220) was the first series production diesel-hydraulic express locomotive of the German Deutsche Bundesbahn and - as Am 4/4 - of the SBB-CFF-FFS in Switzerland.  86 built, retired in 1984." Wiki.

But like you I fail to see the VW reference at all. :confused2:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

javlinfaw7

The v200 locomotive and the VW Type 2 Transporter were part of the post war German industrial resurgence . The appearance of VW was said to be based on the V200 . Some re engined V200s were operational in Italy as late as 2012 ,

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Webbo on January 01, 2017, 10:31:35 AM
Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on January 01, 2017, 09:55:08 AM
OK, but (getting off topic - slightly) if we can only travel one way in time then that means we can never get back to the present - but then were I to return to c1965 - 70, the WR as it was - all worked by Hydraulics  :D :thumbsup: and no steam engines  :beers: then I'm not sure I'd want to come back.

I have to admit that the fascination of some for diesel hydraulics is curious as they have been proven to be a dead end in locomotive development. Less efficient and less reliable than diesel electric. Hydraulic transmissions seem to be suitable for low horsepower applications but not for serious power. Am I waving a red flag in front of a bull?

Webbo

Your opinion - NOT a fact. The truth is simply that Diesel Hydraulics in BR use were defeated by the 'not invented here' mentality in the boardroom, not because of any fault in design or operation.
And beyond this I will keep quiet as I don't want to risk getting kicked off the Forum!
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Mito

I read somewhere that in the beginning there were serious problems with the hydraulics especially the torque converter but at the end they were more reliable and efficient than diesel electrics. Their looks were great. The Hymeckś beauty was in its ugliness but the Western just breathed power.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Jerry Howlett

When I were lad..  at Swindon loco, I used to cadge the odd lift on freights and parcels trains back cab or up front if (I was lucky. The Swindon drivers LOVED the hydraulics as they always reckoned they could push them that little bit harder than their counterparts.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations