It's only a matter of time

Started by cycletrak9, December 30, 2016, 10:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

FM or Long Wave pips used to be accurate as they had a direct line from NPL to BRoadcasting House. The BBC  compensated for the fixed link digital delay. I.e. They sent the pips early to Scotland. The long tone should be Used to set your sundials.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Bealman on December 31, 2016, 10:48:01 AM
Jerry:

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Well don't blink in two hours time when they let all the fireworks off in Sydney...... I won't, 'cos I intend to be asleep!  :beers:

Typical Australians - always jumping the gun re New Year - it doesn't happen for another 6 hours (or just over) but they have already celebrated - just like last year!
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Ian Morton

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on December 31, 2016, 05:52:23 PM
Typical Australians - always jumping the gun re New Year - it doesn't happen for another 6 hours (or just over) but they have already celebrated - just like last year!
It's an Aussie dodge to get an extra 6 hours of drinking time.  :beers:

Beans39

Take the time to read this. So I've been told/somewhere once that time travel is possible. Scientists say the most accurate time peices are atomic clocks. They left one in London and flew one out somewhere cannot remember where. The one that was on the plane lost something like 0.9of a second. So if we could travel at the speed of light. In theory we could travel back in time as th difference was due to the flight speed. We could only go back and not forward as the future has not happened yet. Will scour the net (in time) to find the article if I can. Just wanted to let you know.
Craig

D1042 Western Princess

OK, but (getting off topic - slightly) if we can only travel one way in time then that means we can never get back to the present - but then were I to return to c1965 - 70, the WR as it was - all worked by Hydraulics  :D :thumbsup: and no steam engines  :beers: then I'm not sure I'd want to come back.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Beans39

We in theory could come back. As what you come back to has already happened.  So it not the future. .

daffy

One question re time travelling:

Why? ???
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Webbo

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on January 01, 2017, 09:55:08 AM
OK, but (getting off topic - slightly) if we can only travel one way in time then that means we can never get back to the present - but then were I to return to c1965 - 70, the WR as it was - all worked by Hydraulics  :D :thumbsup: and no steam engines  :beers: then I'm not sure I'd want to come back.

I have to admit that the fascination of some for diesel hydraulics is curious as they have been proven to be a dead end in locomotive development. Less efficient and less reliable than diesel electric. Hydraulic transmissions seem to be suitable for low horsepower applications but not for serious power. Am I waving a red flag in front of a bull?

Webbo

Sprintex

Quote from: Webbo on January 01, 2017, 10:31:35 AM
Am I waving a red flag in front of a bull?

Webbo

Probably ;)

Nothing wrong with discussing the merits or otherwise of different types of locos though as long as it's objective and constructive, rather than just running other peoples' preferences down :thumbsup:

Paul

Webbo

Fair enough Paul

I apologise if my post caused offence to anyone - not meant. Hand on heart.

Webbo

Beans39

No point in time travel. If I would to change history in the past, it means the next man would and so on and so on, so where we are now we would not be doing. Sorry for the past posts. Going off the subject some what. Would go back in time to change if I could.....  OK. I am sorry now. Leave it a that. Lol

Sprintex

Quote from: Webbo on January 01, 2017, 08:51:24 PM
Fair enough Paul

I apologise if my post caused offence to anyone - not meant. Hand on heart.

Webbo

I was making the point that your post IS objective and constructive and in no way being offensive :thumbsup:

Paul

daffy

Quote from: Beans39 on January 01, 2017, 08:59:11 PM
No point in time travel. If I would to change history in the past, it means the next man would and so on and so on, so where we are now we would not be doing. Sorry for the past posts. Going off the subject some what. Would go back in time to change if I could.....  OK. I am sorry now. Leave it a that. Lol

Hey, no apology needed at all.  My question, short as it was, may have been misunderstood.

And there is always room for discussion, and it's entirely on topic, sort of, for as this thread is titled, it's only a matter of time.

And I have travelled in time - when I get off the plane in Zurich it seems I have been transported thus by a full hour! ;)

:beers:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

Webbo and I are eleven hours in the future to you guys!  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Beans39

Not sure where I am. Half bottle of jd and work at 8.30.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations