Locked threads

Started by Steamie+, April 24, 2017, 06:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steamie+

I don't usually say anything against Moderators, but can you please stop locking threads far to soon, i have been reading two threads over the last few days, one this morning and another last week and both have been locked. We don't all sit in front of the laptops or PC's (Though i can be on mine for a few hours lol) most of the day or night and so we catch up when we can, there have been some very interesting threads and i and i suspect other members would have like to have had the opportunity to make a comment,but alas it was not to be. Mods please remember we don't all have the time to make comments so can you please allow us to make comments.

Some threads by the way are so old they are still open from when this forum started, just wanted to point that out. 

This is still the best forum on the internet and i would hate it if we started to be like most of the others, where the moderators locked threads because they just felt like it, whether they thought the thread had run it's course or not.

Has i have said "The Moderators do a fantastic job on the Forum, and they are some of the most tolerate of people" but please allow members to have a say on threads that can run a lot longer, so long has the thread isn't being political or abusive that is.

Happy Modelling.       :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PLD

Quote from: Steamie+ on April 24, 2017, 06:46:08 AM
I don't usually say anything against Moderators, but can you place stop locking threads far to soon, i have been reading two threads over the last few days, one this morning and another last week and both have been locked.

Mods please remember we don't all have the time to make comments so can you please allow us to make comments.

Some threads by the way are so old they are still open from when this forum started, just wanted to point that out. 
Locking of threads has nothing at all to do with the age - usually it is because they have drifted so far off topic or have got into banned areas such as politics & religion or descended into circular arguments or personal insults.

Sometimes, if you have a valid comment that adds quality or understanding to the original topic, then a PM to the moderators may get the thread temporarily reopened to allow your post.

P.S. I predict this one being locked in under 20 posts...  ;)

njee20

It's usually because they've drifted slightly off topic. This is stupid when people are still posting. The speeding one is a good example, I was going to post something back on topic on it, but it got locked because there were half a dozen posts slightly unrelated. It is a real irritation.

It only takes one post to get a thread back on topic! IMO threads should be locked if they break forum rules, or turn abusive. But we're having this discussion once a month currently, and nothing changes.

emjaybee

There was a thread a few days ago about someone wanting advice on buying a drone. It wasn't particularly old, a few days, the discussion was still about drones, and it got locked.

I'm on a number of forums and I still can't believe how heavy handed the mods are on here when it comes to topic direction.

When you have a regular conversation about anything, there is very often a little deviation from the original subject matter before the conversation returns to the original subject. I find this "over-moderation" unnecessary and unwelcome as it makes the flow of "conversations " a little boring and sterile.

I respect your job in curbing language violations, stealth advertising, moving threads to the correct location, etc., but please ease up on playing god on conversations.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Steamie+

Quote from: PLD on April 24, 2017, 07:40:48 AM
Quote from: Steamie+ on April 24, 2017, 06:46:08 AM
I don't usually say anything against Moderators, but can you place stop locking threads far to soon, i have been reading two threads over the last few days, one this morning and another last week and both have been locked.

Mods please remember we don't all have the time to make comments so can you please allow us to make comments.

Locking of threads has nothing at all to do with the age - usually it is because they have drifted so far off topic or have got into banned areas such as politics & religion or descended into circular arguments or personal insults.

Sometimes, if you have a valid comment that adds quality or understanding to the original topic, then a PM to the moderators may get the thread temporarily reopened to allow your post.

P.S. I predict this one being locked in under 20 posts...  ;)

Don't think the topic i was reading had gone of topic at all, and i do realise that it has nothing to do with age by the way. And i agree it will or 21-22-23 depends on how the mod is feeling.

Quote from: emjaybee on April 24, 2017, 08:25:08 AM
There was a thread a few days ago about someone wanting advice on buying a drone. It wasn't particularly old, a few days, the discussion was still about drones, and it got locked.

I'm on a number of forums and I still can't believe how heavy handed the mods are on here when it comes to topic direction.

When you have a regular conversation about anything, there is very often a little deviation from the original subject matter before the conversation returns to the original subject. I find this "over-moderation" unnecessary and unwelcome as it makes the flow of "conversations " a little boring and sterile.

I respect your job in curbing language violations, stealth advertising, moving threads to the correct location, etc., but please ease up on playing god on conversations.

Agree with above. Now that's all i am going to say against the moderators, because i do believe they have a thankless job and if you have seen my posts praising them and the forum, you will see i will defend them has much as possible.   Happy Modelling.       :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

austinbob

Trouble is, there could be other forum members who complain about the content and the drift off topic of some threads and ask for them to be locked or brought back in line.
This forum is pretty big now with so many different topic categories and threads.
So the mods can't please everyone all the time whatever action they take.

I must say I have noticed, over the past year or two, that some posts are becoming more aggressive and outrageous (if that's the right word) and promote aggressive responses. I'm sure many of us have been guilty of this at some time, I know I have for which I apologise. Sometimes it is just so difficult not to respond to some of these 'dodgy' posts.

So this also, I would guess, makes the mods more sensitive to making comments or locking threads. They just can't win really.

Psychoanalysis over - further analysis can be carried out for a small fee.
:) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Steamie+

I do agree Bob, but the thread i was reading had not gone off topic, there was no aggressive comments or bad language so i didn't see why it got locked, there was i feel still a lot to be said really by members,but it's getting a bit negative now on some threads, it's ok for members to make jokes ( I have nothing against that ) which can be boring and run for pages but nothing is done about that. Why can't mods delete posts they feel are not appropriate, but inform the poster 1st that they may be going the wrong way with the thread and their post is been considered for deletion. That i feel is a more democratic way of doing things, because lets face it some mods do say some things out of order themselves. They are only human after all, but saying anything against them posting some you feel is wrong is not it seems the done thing. 

Happy Modelling, going to the model shop now to have a browse and see if they will put anything i see to one side for me until tomorrow. Last PAY DAY yeah.      :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bealman

The drone post was actually initiated by a moderator, and, looking back through it, the original post was getting clouded by video privacy issues. The OP actually said it was for indoor use.

The speeding thread began as a point of information, but then, as already noted, drifted. Even if back on topic, the issue seems cut and dried. The law will change, and every member I'm sure, would agree that the simple response  is to not break the speed limit.

So basically, the issue has been addressed.

We are primarily a model railway forum, after all.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

But it's a discussion forum. Yes, the speeding post could have been a PSA with no responses, but so could many threads - anything about a new product for example. The whole point of a forum is to engage in conversation with people, surely? That is regularly stifled. 

As for your last line, why not ditch all the non n-gauge forums then? Serious question, if you don't want "discussion" (using the term lightly) about anything else? Not unreasonable, as you say, it's a forum for model railways. Keep it niche.

It is a real shame, it's a good forum, but the over moderation is a fly in the ointment.

But anyway, this is at least he 4th thread on this now. If members do request topics are locked they've never said anything, whilst a number have said it's a real pain. Perhaps there's a silent majority who don't want to speak out.

emjaybee

They better watch out on the TINGS thread then, as they're currently discussing traffic lights.

(Actually, I'd rather it was left alone as it's rather amusing)

Perhaps rather than locking a thread without warning, or deleting/moving deviant threads, how about putting in a warning (after a reasonable time) that the thread is drifting or that the original topic has run its course and that if there is nothing new to add the thread will be locked.

(I've never actually seen another Forum that locks threads other than "informational" ones)

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

austinbob

Quote from: emjaybee on April 24, 2017, 09:18:21 AM
Perhaps rather than locking a thread without warning, or deleting/moving deviant threads, how about putting in a warning (after a reasonable time) that the thread is drifting or that the original topic has run its course and that if there is nothing new to add the thread will be locked.

I think the mods often do this emjaybee. I'm sure I've seen them do this quite often although its not something that sticks in the memory. Example, looking back at the speeding thread Pengi said 'Are we all done on this discussion then?' Bealman said 'Is this thread about speed limits, or tyre sizes?  ???'
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

dannyboy

They better watch out on the TINGS thread then, as they're currently discussing traffic lights.

I didn't start that - 'onest Guv'  :)

(Actually, I'd rather it was left alone as it's rather amusing) We all need some humour in our daily life, including the forum!  :thumbsup:

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Steamie+

Quote from: Bealman on April 24, 2017, 08:58:48 AM

The drone post was actually initiated by a moderator, and, looking back through it, the original post was getting clouded by video privacy issues. The OP actually said it was for indoor use.

The speeding thread began as a point of information, but then, as already noted, drifted. Even if back on topic, the issue seems cut and dried. The law will change, and every member I'm sure, would agree that the simple response  is to not break the speed limit.

So basically, the issue has been addressed.

We are primarily a model railway forum, after all.  :thumbsup:

I agree George that no one should be speeding and i for one have no time for the idiots that do, and yes this is a model railway forum , but was it not both threads in general discussion so it should be left alone to run and run.

While it is me that has started this thread George, i do believe, has i have stated that you all do a great job and this is still the  best forum on the web for N Gauge and others gauges if one so desires and i will support you all has moderators 100%, but please leave threads alone and let the members make there own conclusions on the thread and if a member is being abusive or getting on some body's back then it can be reported to yourselves to see into them.

Please carry on doing a brilliant job George and the other Moderators, but again leave the threads for the members to carry on posting.    Happy Modelling to you all.      :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbs:

Now differently going to the locos model shop.     lol.        :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

Steamie+

Quote from: austinbob on April 24, 2017, 09:28:02 AM

I think the mods often do this emjaybee. I'm sure I've seen them do this quite often although its not something that sticks in the memory. Example, looking back at the speeding thread Pengi said 'Are we all done on this discussion then?' Bealman said 'Is this thread about speed limits, or tyre sizes?  ???'
:beers:

Bob the tyre size is a relevant point, the bigger the size the faster you will go, that's why these street guys have bigger wheels on, not only to look good but to go that bit faster.      :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bealman

Thanks, Rod.

In the end it is referred to Tank.

I love this forum and think that generally we have a great mix of lighthearted banter and serious stuff.

But we do sometimes stuff up.  :beers:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations