Thinking of getting a class 31

Started by Griff, July 06, 2018, 05:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griff

Can I ask what are peoples views on the Farish class 31 as I'm thinking of getting. The reason I ask is a while back I read somewhere somebody was disappointed with the model.

Paul-H

Hi

I am not a rivet counter so quite pleased with mine, and it takes the Hornby TTS sound decoder without too much work.

Not had any issues with mine.

They have a new one listed so you could wait for that one, but given Farish's release history it's probably more than a year or two away from release.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Griff

Thanks Paul, just thought I'd check before parting with my cash.

red_death

The new Farish 31 has been available for some time.  The version that hasn't arrived yet is the refurbed 31.

Just be careful that you know what you are buying as there is an older Farish Poole 31 (which is still a nice model but not as good as the recent version IMHO).

Cheers, Mike

ntpntpntp

..... and definitely stay away from the old Lima 31 !!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

crewearpley40

hi i have heard that benefitting from an upgraded chassis from the refurbished class 31, farish offer the original class 31 with the same specification for ease of Digital Sound fitting

did bachmann have any input ?

on the European scale, lima was smaller (1:160 European vs. 1:148 British). Some of the old Lima rolling stock is more likely to be at 1:160, but the locos are often hugely overscale even for the larger British N Gauge, even coaches which were poor and Lima N gauge stuff is pretty dreadful from both accuracy as a scale model and giving decent performance perspective and aged 30 plus years old, my old lima loco broke doWN SO SIts in a siding modelled with sheets - modellers licence waiting scrap after a loco fire weathered such just to gain practice on plasticky blue

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: ntpntpntp on July 06, 2018, 06:04:34 PM
..... and definitely stay away from the old Lima 31 !!

Damn you! and there was I thinking,sold the blighterafter all these years..

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

crewearpley40

was it not an italian model made for the uk market ?

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: crewearpley40 on July 06, 2018, 08:25:05 PM
was it not an italian model made for the uk market ?

Well today mine is a model of a UK engine that I would love to sell in an Italian market.

Sorry its getting late here...
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Newportnobby

Here's my old Farish class 31 D5672 371-104 head on......

and the more recent D5596 371-111 with directional lighting.....

and both.............

crewearpley40

great transition  / dieselisation era locos. you run  model shop jerry ? chris

Portpatrick

I bought the one I fancied.  The "current" version in green with small panel from John Dutfield while at the Royston Show last November.  He did me a very fair price - perhaps as I was wearing an exhibitors badge!  I have been delighted with it.  Captures the loco beautifully.

Bealman

I haven't got one, but would like one. I've always reckoned that it's a good looking locomotive.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Nice looking model, looks like a 31 to me (and much better than earlier models). Motor is a bit "growly" though. The main complaint I have is that the sandbox thingies on the bogies fall off if you look at them.

crewearpley40

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations