Started by Newportnobby, March 26, 2018, 02:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

if you excluded :

Spit
Hurri
Lightning
Vulcan

I wonder what people would choose as their top three RAF aircraft ?

daffy

Camel

Buccaneer

Phantom

- but then I would never restrict my choice to just three as there are just too many great aircraft I could name, and for myriad reasons. So these are just the three that first came to mind after reading the question.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

guest311

for me ............

SHACK

BRIT

ARGOSY

as you can see, I'm a  firm believer that proper aircraft, with the whirley things, rule over blow jobs

RailGooner

Vickers-Armstrongs VC10

RAF SE5

Avro Anson

Ask me on another day and I'd probably come up with alternative 2nd and 3rd, but the VC10 will always be number 1. A phenomenal aircraft which holds more world records than any other type. :admiration:

I can't believe the Phantom doesn't make it. Ask me again tomorrow. :D

javlinfaw7

Newportnobby

Mosquito*
Lancaster*
Harrier

* Basically, anything with a Merlin engine, the sound of which just reduces me to a wreck

guest311

in the begining, god created 10 sdn, then when they whinged that they had nowhere to fly in their shiny VC10s he created the rest of the world to shut them up !

dannyboy

I have to agree with NPN re the Merlin engine. To me that sound is so evocative of WWII aviation.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

guest311

javlinfaw7

How did you guess ? Also have a soft spot for Hunters  ,VC10's and Nimrods.

guest311

hunters ok, we had 2 sdns [8  & 208] when I was in the Gulf, seem to remember DO NOT WALK IN FRONT OF ARMED ONES, could fire off a few 30mm rounds if it got too hot !
hence parked at the end of the line, facing out to sea .

The Q

Mr Sprue

A great program, enjoyed every minute of it.. :thumbsup:

But on another note it's so sad to notice how much our forces and their bases have been depleted by our wonderful politrickians.  The part about Biggin Hill deflated me seeing all those empty derelict buildings from what was once a very active base.

As I recall there were plans to even knock down St Georges RAF Chapel Grade II Listed Building!

Lawrence

Chinnok
Hercules
Tornado GR1 (especially when fully loaded, flaps and slats at mid and taxiing towards you in the early dawn, just looks pure evil  :) )

OwL

Quote from: class37025 on April 01, 2018, 05:02:18 PM
if you excluded :

Spit
Hurri
Lightning
Vulcan

I wonder what people would choose as their top three RAF aircraft ?

Eurofighter Typhoon
Harrier
Tornado GR4

That's my line up! Dunno why they got rid of the harriers!! The yanks are still using theirs and even bought our retired airframes as spares!

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations