what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveg

Quote from: stephen lewis on August 09, 2018, 11:27:16 PM
Approximately one year into construction of my first layout I have been trying my hand at scenery; building hills, road, tunnel mouths, static grass, more trees than Ashdown forest, etc.
Consequently no train running for about 6 weeks, I have started to be more irritable than ever at work, wake up shouting strange tongues and my dogs think I have finally gone barking mad.

Is this normal?

:pint: :pint

Yup!

Suggested remedy:

Several  :pint: followed by plenty of running trains which will soon have you back to whatever you and the dog(s) regard as 'Normal'!

HTH

Dave G

Bealman

Excellent advice.  :beers:

In fact I'm currently in the local bowling club doing just that.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Mike Hamilton

Just having a nice final running session on Parish End before I have my Total Hip Replacement operation tomorrow.  I'll be off my feet and unable to do much for a few weeks unfortunately
"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde

Newportnobby

@Mike Hamilton
Sorry to hear that, Mike. I had my right hip replaced 3 years ago and wasn't allowed to drive for 3 weeks. That was worse than the op!

Mike Hamilton

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 13, 2018, 04:16:01 PM
@Mike Hamilton
Sorry to hear that, Mike. I had my right hip replaced 3 years ago and wasn't allowed to drive for 3 weeks. That was worse than the op!

Thank you for the reply.

I'm not allowed to drive for 6 to 8 weeks.
No nooky for a minimum of 8.
No standing or sitting for long periods.
The list of cant do's goes on forever.
Hopefully I'll be able to crack on with the layout once the pain goes and I end up with a daily routine.
"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde

Portpatrick

My better half had a new hip last November.  The worst things were:
a) she had to inject herself with anti clotting stuff for 28 days.  And our surgery was very coy about taking the special waste box.  I took it to the surgery where I am chaplain each week.
b)  I had to change the anti clotting tight sock as she could not bend.

Indeed no nooky for a while and make sure you do all the exercises they set you

Portpatrick

As to what I am doing on the layout.  I recently made up a North Fife circle rake using Adam's sides on Farish coaches - runs behind my Dapol Class 68.  On the somewhat ropy track of the club layout we displayed at the Silverfox show last Saturday the coaches were bouncing and derailing.  So I have been sticking lead underneath.  Also on the Mark 2 coaches for the Deerstalker express - same problem.

I have also been working on a Class 29 - Langley body and Poole style 25/3chassis.  Still trying to get the body to sit lower on the chassis.

port perran

Hopefully all goes well for you Mike and that you return to full and complete functionality asap.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

dannyboy

Quote from: Mike Hamilton on August 13, 2018, 04:38:01 PM

I'm not allowed to drive for 6 to 8 weeks.
No nooky for a minimum of 8.
No standing or sitting for long periods.
The list of cant do's goes on forever.

That is a cruel list - fancy not being able to drive for 6 to 8 weeks!  :o

Good luck  and I hope all goes well.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Portpatrick

Allanbrae gets its first public outing on 13 Oct, at our Open Day.   Yesterday I drilled holes on the back of the baseboard frame so I can operate it from behind.  At home it is operated from the front.  Must now check all the cassettes are fine.  Have tested the more complex movements, eg arrival and shunting of mail freight and sleeper trains.

When it goes to the Marlow and Maidenhead show in January it will have a proper fireproof skirt across the front and ends.  My wife has no time to do this before 13 Oct, esp as we have not yet sourced the treated material.  We may end up cutting Portpatrick's in 2 and using part for Allanbrae and the hole for Portpatrick.

Train Waiting

I'm sitting with a small libation watching two trains running round.  An 'A2' with a passenger train and a 'J27' with a goods train.  Both trains are running very nicely.  Every now and again, I slightly adjust the speed of one of the trains.

This is the life!

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

The Q

Some points have arrived, so tomorrow night, I start laying track for the new fiddle yard, before I put a hillside over it...

GScaleBruce

Testing my Fleischmann BR50 following repairs. Last time out, it wasn't running well... which wasn't surprising as I discovered that the solder joint between one of the wires from the pickups (on the locomotive wheels) and the tender (where the motor is located) had broken. Slightly to my surprise, and much to my relief, I managed to disassemble the locomotive sufficiently to be able to re-solder the joint without melting the loco body... and it's back in service :) .

Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

GScaleBruce

Quote from: GScaleBruce on September 18, 2018, 07:28:22 PM
Testing my Fleischmann BR50 following repairs. Last time out, it wasn't running well... which wasn't surprising as I discovered that the solder joint between one of the wires from the pickups (on the locomotive wheels) and the tender (where the motor is located) had broken. Slightly to my surprise, and much to my relief, I managed to disassemble the locomotive sufficiently to be able to re-solder the joint without melting the loco body... and it's back in service :) .

Well, testing revealed that the other wire had also been on the point of breaking - I'd checked it when repairing the first wire and it seemed ok, but the loco started glitching a short while later and investigation revealed that the other wire had now broken. So this morning it's back on the workbench for an identical repair on the other side. Just hoping this won't become a regular feature because there isn't any spare wire left!
Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations