stripping paint from locos and stock

Started by guest311, March 22, 2013, 01:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

Hi, apologies if this has been mentioned before, and I can claim no credit for this method, as I found it mentioned on a thread on, IIRC, RMweb. Hopefully there is a link on my computer at work, but I forgot to e-mail to my home pc.

anyway, the method suggested was to use normal household Dettol, the brown version was specified so I assume there are more than one.

having added a bottle to SWMBO's shopping list, and with her out of the way this morning, I decided to try it out on a Farish class 52 shell.

I stripped off the buffers and glazing, then placed the body and fuel tank / battery boxes mouldings in a plastic take away tray, and covered with neat Dettol.

I left it to soak for about an hour, then used the standard toothebrush and liquid soap to clean off the fuel tank moulding in a sink of hot water.

the paint came off quite easily, leaving a clean plastic moulding, but I did find when I started on the bodyshell that it was preferable to scrub the shell with just Dettol, and then clean the moulding with soap after all traces were removed.

the original article suggested straining the used Dettol through an old teastrainer, and then returning to the bottle for reuse.

for now I'm straining it, then leaving it in the sealed takeaway container, and will use it again for the next strip. I'll then give the bodyshell a quick soak in a second container in fresh Dettol just to ensure it is totally clean.

no risk of caustic burns etc as with my previous method, MrM oven cleaner, no fumes and a pleasant smell left behind.

even scored brownie points when SWMBO came back 'oh, have you been cleaning?'

now what would you say, lads  >:D :angel:

if I find the link to the original article I'll add it when I'm back on nights sunday.

hope this is of some use to someone.

cheers

alan

cernem1alt

Yes it works and it must be Detol and not any cheaper brand or any Detol with added pine those wont work.
I have used it successfully on wargames figures however on my skin It did burn a bit so I wore throw away cellophane gloves

Zaonite

An old wargamers trick for stripping models;

For metal models I chuck mine in Nitromors or just bog standard paint stripper / acetone. Be aware that this method will get rid of any glue on the models and it WILL melt any plastic parts. Any stubborn bits can be removed with a wooden toothpick or old toothbrush. Be very careful in handling or wear gloves!

For plastic models I drop the minis in Dot4 brake fluid and leave them overnight. Models afterwards will need scrubbing with a toothbrush to remove any stubborn paint. It can soften some plastics very slightly but after the model has been washed and allowed to dry it hardens up again. I have known Dot4 to weaken plastic glue too. So if a mistake is made all is not entirely lost!
Free OO gauge card kits that can be scaled down for N gauge use!

http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk/

Phil Hendry

Dettol is pretty good, if you can stand the stink!
I am not a complete lunatic - there are pieces missing!

longbridge

Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner does a great job, beware of Brake Fluid on some plastics eg Kato plastic will dissolve in Brake Fluid.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Skyline2uk

Hi

To re-enliven an old thread I have today stripped an old Poole loco using a bath of neat Dettol.

When I posted this on the NGF I was swiftly answered with warnings that I should use dilute Dettol or risk melted plastic.

As it happens, that was not my experience on the Poole 47 body I am working on and it's now fully stripped.

However, others clearly have had issues.

And this is my point: Experience is everything.

You can ask all the people in the world for advice and get different answers from all of them.

If my body was now a warped, plastic mess, I would never use Dettol again. As it is, I am just a bit cautious...

Skyline2uk

Richard G Dallimore

I have used Dettol on Oxford Diecast and base toys neat and left for 24 hours with bad results. I have since been recommended Biostrip 20 this is designed to remove graffiti from any surface. It is safe to use and pour down the sink. It works fast brush it on generously and leave for a few minutes and brush off, first attempts were not great, just need another go. Plastic was not damaged and the clear plastic seems to return to being clear. I think I went wrong by washing it of under the cold tap, this seemed to make it set and go gooy, hence seconded attempt need. It also does not smell as much as dettol, although not as neutral as claim once at work. Hands went attacked like dettol does either, come in a large tub from Amazon amongst others for about £10ish.

I need to try it again but it seems better, quicker and safer than dettol. It stripped the diecast chassis very well, made it nice and shine.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP