Fitting NEM pockets to early Farish Coach Bogies?

Started by Paul-H, October 10, 2018, 09:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul-H

Hi all

I have been working through all my wagons from Peco, Graham Farish and Dapol converting them from the standard coupling by adding Dapols NEM pockets, done about 40 do far and all went well, so now gotvto working on my Farish Mk1 coaches, most new modrls so already have NEM pockets so all is well with them but some are from their older range with the coupler fitted to the bogie and centred with a spring, but these are giving me a head scratching moment as the NEM pocket needs to be level with the top of the bogie might be bottom, so it not just a case of clipping the old coupler box of and gluing the new one in place like it is with most wagons, it's almost as if I have got to cut a square of plastic out of the bogie so the pocket can mount higher.

Is this the only way to do it or has anyone found a better method

Thanks for any help with this

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

ntpntpntp

Which coupling are you using instead?  Is there no T-shank version of that coupling?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

PLD

Depending on what type of coupling you are fitting, it might be easier to turn the bogie through 180 degrees and fit the new coupling to the flat end without a coupling mounting.

Also; Do you keep your coaches in fixed rakes? if so you could just change the outer end couplings to whatever you want and leave those within the rake as the standard rapidos, much reducing the necessary workload...

bluedepot

what's your top tips for converting wagons then after doing so many?

I think on the bogie you could just cut out the old coupling box, add a shim of thin plastic to connect the end of the bogie at the base for strength, then glue the nem pocket on top of this? would that work and be the correct height?  gluing the nem pocket from the sides wouldn't work i don't think so that's why I suspect you need a shim of plastic to be a base to glue it on to...???

Tim

jamespetts

I have done this successfully with the Poole Farish air conditioned mark 2s. You need to remove the bogie, use a Stanley knife to cut away the existing coupling mounting on the bogie, then glue the Dapol NEM pocket in the same position as the original coupler pocket. I use UHU glue, following the instructions to add a layer, let it go tacky, and then add another layer before pressing the two parts together. It needs to be left to dry overnight before it is a strong bond.
Peertube > Youtube

BobB

I have done the same as jamespetts except that I use the shims supplied by Dapol to strengthen the NEM socket coupling box. I cut the shim to size using just the thin edge glued to all three bits of the bogie that are left after the original coupling box has been removed.

The extra strength allows me to use super glue rather than UHU so I don't have to wait overnight !

koyli55002

Quote from: BobB on October 11, 2018, 03:47:23 AM
I have done the same as jamespetts except that I use the shims supplied by Dapol to strengthen the NEM socket coupling box. I cut the shim to size using just the thin edge glued to all three bits of the bogie that are left after the original coupling box has been removed.

The extra strength allows me to use super glue rather than UHU so I don't have to wait overnight !

Any chance of a picture ?

koyli55002

GrahamB

I use the idea from a NGS Journal.

Simply remove the old coupling and spring. Insert the NEM coupling vertically and then turn though 90 degrees. It will be held firmly but can still be adjusted for height.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations