Spot the mistake.

Started by Phoenix, March 12, 2018, 07:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Phoenix on March 12, 2018, 10:39:52 PM
Hide in the Pub 'till it's safe to go out again  :beers: :beers: :beers:
good idea !

Re. quakes,   4 screws wouldna' work but three might ? :

sorry sorry ocd and residual coordinate transforms are to blame ! pse excuse  :)
nurse, nurse , quick, the pills

Phoenix

Cheers Malcolm,

Looking at that hut so close ...... that's a HUGE outside light  :goggleeyes:

Best wishes
Kevin

Off to get some copydex tomorrow  :D

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Phoenix on March 13, 2018, 02:00:21 AMthat's a HUGE outside light
Oh ! I thought it was an air raid siren :)

see elsewhere Spitfire refs :)  :D

The Q

I thought it was some strange telephone cover.
(The shunters hut on the station I'm modelling was a wooden shed with a wooden box on the outside for the phone to the signal box)

port perran

Leave the hut as it is.
In real lfe things are frequently not perfect.
Often with model railways we try to make things too twee and tidy.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Phoenix

Oh yes Martin,

You are quite right, the hut stays as is. Nothing in life is truly straight up and down. Here in Weymouth, where some houses date back to the Civil War, anyone who has tried to fit a wardrobe, of build a fitted kitchen certainly knows that. :D

I don't think the hut goes that far back though, but as PeteW says, it has charm !

The upside down sign was niggling me though  :D

All kind regards
Kevin

port perran

Quote from: Phoenix on March 13, 2018, 11:06:25 AM

Oh yes Martin,

You are quite right, the hut stays as is. Nothing in life is truly straight up and down. Here in Weymouth, where some houses date back to the Civil War, anyone who has tried to fit a wardrobe, of build a fitted kitchen certainly knows that. :D

I don't think the hut goes that far back though, but as PeteW says, it has charm !

The upside down sign was niggling me though  :D

All kind regards
Kevin
Quite right. We live in a 200 year old cottage.
Nothing is straight here. If we put up a picture it's either level with the ceiling or the floor - but not both.  And that poses problems for getting the railway level too.
All the best
Martin
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

JohnN

I can sympathise with that. Part of the reason things have been quiet with Dartley Coombe is we are decorating the hall, stairs and landing.

The upside with wallpapering a 200 year old cottage is I don't need a ladder to do the ceiling.

The downside with wallpapering a 200 year old cottage is there are no straight edges.  :confused1:

I like the leaning hut. Adds character.  :beers:

Apologies for going a bit off thread.

dannyboy

You talk of 200 year old cottages   ???. The new part of my 'cottage' was built about 1983, so no problems. The old part, (an old 3 roomed Irish cottage), is a different story - the room we use as the lounge is 12 feet wide at the rear wall, but 12 feet 5 inches wide at the opposite, chimney breast wall and as for the room I use as a work/modelling room!!! I have just built myself another workbench in there, it is 6 feet long and the two right hand legs are virtually the same length. The left hand rear leg is 2 inches longer than the right hand legs, but half an inch shorter than the left hand front leg! Took some doing to get the worktop level.  :'(. My theory is that the floor slopes as it does, so that it could be washed and then the water just swept towards what was at that time, the main door.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

The Q

Our 112 year old house has single brick walls and foundations all of a foot deep, hence one bedroom has a 2 inch slope across the room.

The worst I've been in, was a room I had in the White Hart Hotel, In Salisbury just outside the cathedral walls.
Due to the layout there is only one place for the bed but that leaves your feet several inches higher than your head. I solved that by sleeping with my head at the foot of the bed. If I owned the place, I would have put blocks under the feet to level the bed. Nice hotel though and good food.

Cornishnavy

Our first rented house was built in 1700 and something. Not much above high tide level on the River Tamar (Cornwall side) It had a well in the kitchen under a slate flagstone. This room was lower than the rest of the house, so could wash the floor and the water ran out of the door.
First house we bought in Looe, Cornwall could  only be reached via 70 steps. Good view of the harbour and kept us fit.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations