DCC fitting videos on Youtube

Started by Dsolds, December 07, 2017, 11:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dsolds

I've been watching some how-to videos on Youtube regarding fitting DCC chips and most informative they are too. One thing I have noticed though, and it's not so much a criticism as an observation, but the common denominator with pretty much all of them is that nobody I've seen so far can solder properly, whether it be due to cheapo soldering irons - usually with a tip the size of a garden spade, un-fluxed solder, or just a lack of skill.

Reason I mention is is to ask, is this the kind of standard which I could expect if I were to have someone fit the decoders for me? If so I shall continue battling with old eye syndrome and do the things myself.

Vonzack

I wouldn't be put off because people on YouTube can't solder. Have you had a go yourself, it's not all that difficult. If you are thinking about having locos converted, contact whoever is doing it and ask for some pictures of their previous conversions. Hopefully you'll be able to see the quality of their work for yourself.

Cheers

Dsolds

Yes, I have fitted many decoders to OO gauge stuff over the years and that was easy. My soldering skills (if I say so myself) are top notch, but then when you consider I have been an Electronics Engineer for the thick end of 35 years you would expect me to be rather good at that.  ;) It would be rather embarrassing if I weren't to say the least, kind of like a Doctor who couldn't stitch a small cut.  :-[

My issue is the small size of N Gauge and 53 year old eyes. This is the main reason I have been considering having them done "professionally" but on the basis of what I have seen so far, which does include some shops I might add, well I think the money is better spent on a magnifying visor so I can do them myself.

Vonzack

Ah, well, if you're an Electronics engineer you shouldn't have any problem at all  :D

NinOz

Quote from: Dsolds on December 08, 2017, 09:55:17 AM
My issue is the small size of N Gauge and 53 year old eyes.
Young whipper snapper!
Try 64 year eyes and hands which vibrate and dance. :goggleeyes:  Still solder my decoders.  Made a 6pin socket today to fit in an old Farish steamer (mind you it only needed 4 wires attached to the 1.27mm female header, no lights).
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Dsolds

Quote from: NinOz on December 08, 2017, 11:13:56 AMYoung whipper snapper!

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:
Erm, that'll be "Mr" Young Whipper Snapper to you Sir  :D

I suppose the positive is that I didn't go for Z Gauge or T Gauge - that might have been even more fun  :laugh:

Just ordered an optivisor off Amazon   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Stuart Down Under

I have used Wickness Models to fit DCC. Great service - he sends a video of the converted loco running before requesting payment. For me he has done older Farish - 4-4-0 and Crab, plus 04, 08, Dapol M7 and Ivatt 2-6-2T plus some Union Mills. The only one he said "no" to was the Dapol Terrier! 

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations