anyone got their nelevators recently?

Started by wobberly, March 15, 2017, 06:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobberly

has anyone had a nelevator delivered lately? we ordered ours in december2015 and are still waiting.ors is order no 84,and according to the november 2016 newsletter we should be getting ours soon.I wish they could keep us up to date with what is happening,even if to say we are behind with the orders.

Kaian

I was emailed 2 weeks ago if i wanted mine yet due to my invoice number being next, i am not in a rush so said i would skip to pass on to the next with a priority. My invoice number is 35.

Sounds like they are up to speed in producing them now.
Craig

RailGooner

Hi @wobberly ,

That's a shocking amount of time, especially if meantime they haven't communicated directly with customers. I've just browsed their site. I note the plan to take on an apprentice, and of course apologies for the delays. I can sympathize with them - if a cottage industry grows at a rate greater than expected or planned for, I can see how restoring equilibrium could be difficult. But I find it hard to excuse a lack of communication - how can one understand if one isn't informed etc.

I see they've bought a van and plan to deliver and install Nelevators themselves. Very laudable customer service aspirations there. I hope they've not forgotten the basics of customer service @wobberly and have kept in touch with you - though your post suggests not.

njee20

I'd worry that they feel it necessary to install them, that should be a (very expensive) option!  :hmmm:

RailGooner

Quote from: njee20 on March 15, 2017, 08:39:57 PM
I'd worry that they feel it necessary to install them, that should be a (very expensive) option!  :hmmm:

The question that crossed my mind was, how can they catch up with an order backlog if they are out on the road delivering/installing? :hmmm:

njee20

ntpntpntp

Yeah but when the things cost around a grand anyway, probably better to have it fitted by the manufacturer.

I must admit such a device would be ideal for when I finally permanently retire my layout from exhibitions, and it takes up it's final resting place in my train room.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Ben A

Hello all,

I know Allen (the guy behind the Nelevator) pretty well and last time I went up to his place he had a small production line going.

I think demand has significantly exceeded his expectations, and so he is having to source far more parts than originally anticipated.

The van is very useful as it allows fully assembled Nelevators of all sizes to be delivered.

Cheers

Ben A.

RailGooner

I want to see the Nelevator go from strength to strength. They are an ingenious work of engineering art and if I could afford to, I'd have one mounted in a recess on the wall with a frame around it. 8)

And the backlog works in my favour, giving me more time to save up the pennies. :D

Ditape

The last time I contacted them I got the impression that 6-9 months was the lead time on new orders. :thumbsup:
Diane Tape

njee20

Yes, i really want one and wish them every success!

Chetcombe

I am still waiting for mine, but the guys have been in regular contact and kept me pretty much in the loop. As installation (by van or otherwise) is not an option for me, I am happy to wait until they solve a couple of design issues they have encountered.

So slow to deliver, but having seen a couple of more negative posts I wanted to provide a bit of balance about the customer service.
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

N-Gauge-US

I too am quite happy to wait, as I would want the DCC incorporated control that he plans on adding and want them to figure out all the bugs with overseas shipping! I'm hoping to have the money for mine together next summer and to see it next winter or the following spring :)
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Railwaygun

email today

Nelevation Newsletter - March 2017

Welcome to this newsletter and firstly may we apologise for not being able to attend Model Rail Scotland. It was a great shame as it is such a well organised and well attended event.

We can assure you however that we will be at Alexandra Palace (stand 85) this coming weekend for the London Festival of Railway Modelling and are looking forward to seeing some of you there.

N Gauge Build Progress
Our new apprentice Josh and a batch of N-gauge NelevatorsWith the help of Josh, our new assistant, we have been able to increase our production rate and have currently delivered 29 units, with a further six in the workshop ready to be delivered.

Where possible we are delivering in number order, but would be most grateful if you could drop us an e-mail to let us know your current layout status; particularly if you're in a position to take delivery and start using the Nelevator immediately.

We understand that you may be waiting for a Nelevator to build your layouts around. If this is the case, there is no need to wait to get your Nelevator. Please follow the mounting dimension guidelines on our website for the cut-out required in your baseboard, then when the time is right we will come and help you install it.

So far we have delivered units from the New Forest on the South Coast in the UK up to Cheshire, but are holding back delivering overseas for the moment until we are confident that early teething challenges have been completely resolved.

Manufacturing Challenges
We have had a few challenges with some of our first units, but are learning all the time; building up a knowledge-base of possible issues and correcting them before they happen. I have learnt from personal experience with my 6 foot version at home that the more time and care spent setting up the NelevatoNelevator Setup and Instructionsr, the better it performs.

To this end we have produced an installation and setup guide, which is available to view and download from our website, so please take a look.

Some of the technical challenges we have faced are:

Variability in Drive Belt Geometry: This was difficult to diagnose as it was hard to see what was going wrong, but on the occasional Nelevator when going one way the vertical alignment would slip by 12mm, but correct itself in the opposite direction. After careful examination the drive belt appeared to slowly climb over one pulley tooth in one direction and then climb back in the opposite direction. Measuring the belt thickness we noticed that it was 0.6mm (30%) thinner than a good belt. We now check all belts before assembly and have highlighted the problem to our supplier.

Worm Wheel Slippage: This has caused misalignment problems by allowing a slight motor movement before moving the drive shaft. Again this was caused by supplier manufacturing issues which have now been resolved.

Electronic Issue: We have had one electronic problem with the main control board resetting its home position. We haven't been able to replicate this fault in the lab, but suspect a mains electrical problem at the installation. We are working with the customer to resolve the issue by running the unit on a battery supply to isolate the mains. Once we find the cause we will know what to look for if this fault occurs again. We've changed power supplies and main circuit boards and the problem stays with the installation. Frustrating, but we'll get there; thanks for being so patient Douglas!

Additional Developments
We've also been working hard on some new developments which will be coming on line in the future:

Signal Light Control PCBTraffic Light Controlled Track Isolation: This is a great development that dramatically reduces the risk of a train entering the Nelevator when the Nelevator is moving. The system works by isolating the approach tracks if the Nelevator is moving, but also prevents it from moving if an optical beam is broken by the presence of a train. The traffic lights give a useful visible indication of the status of the Nelevator and isolated section. We're currently testing this on our demo layout and will be demonstrating it at the Alexandra Palace show.

Bluetooth Control via an Android Tablet: This allows wireless control of the Nelevator from up to 30ft away and has all the functionality of the standard handset.

DCC Control: We're still working with MERG to produce a system that will allow digital control of the Nelevator from their CBUS system, while also working on parallel DCC developments ourselves. We'll keep you updated of progress.

UK Delivery and Installation Costs
With our new van we are planning on delivering all Nelevators in the UK mainland ourselves at a delivery cost of £40.

As part of this delivery process we will also be offering an installation service at £50 per Nelevator (subject to the appropriate layout preparations being completed to accept the Nelevator).

Kit Build Nelevators
You may have noticed that that we have removed the option for kit build Nelevators from our website.

We have done this as we feel that we do not currently have time to support this option as we can foresee customers requiring a significant amount of assistance with the kit builds. We may bring this option back in the future, but for now all units will be delivered assembled. Any customers that need to assemble "on site" e.g. in a loft, then please let us know so that we can support your installation.

OO Production Units
We will be delivering the first four OO units in May and will of course be contacting customers in order number priority, but would like to get installations that are up and running so these first units get a good testing before opening up the remaining deliveries.

Forthcoming Show
The Nelevation show standIf you haven't seen the Nelevator and want to see it first hand, or would just like to catch up with us face-to-face, then you can see us at the following forthcoming show:

The London Festival of Railway Modelling: 25 - 26 March 2017, London: stand 85.

Thank you once again for your interest in the Nelevator and your continued patience if you're waiting for delivery.

We look forward to bringing you further updates soon and perhaps meeting you at Alexandra Palace.

Regards,
Allen Pearson
Nelevation Limited
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Tank

A very informative newsletter.  It's great to see that they are happily solving problems and happy to upgrade and adapt. :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations