Farish ten year progress and price comparison.

Started by Elvinley, February 05, 2017, 10:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvinley

Some interesting observations looking at the catalogue with price list from 2007:

No steam locos remain from 2007

Diesels are a mixed bag. Some of the newly tooled locos had been released.

Coaches have all been replaced except Pullmans and suburbans.

Some wagons had been retooled by 2007 but some old clunky ones remained. One of the oldest in the new cataloge is an EWS MEA. The cat no is now on an 'F' after the number which shows how many batches have been made. It is pictured in the 2002 catalogue with the same cat number and may be even older.

Price comparisons are very interesting.

Class 60 cat no. 371-350 is in both catalogues, but is a different running number in the new one. The price in 2007 was £79.50 which would be £105.74 in todays money. The loco is £124.95 in the 2017 catalogue.

A new tooled 14 ton tank wagon was £5.85 which would be 7.78 is in fact now £18.95. Same tooling.

The most eye watering price in the new catalogue is in fact for the triple pack of GWR china clay wagons at £48.95

Interesting to see how much N gauge has come on in terms of detail and in terms of expense. The steam loco roster which contains 22 locos, most of which have already been released is particularly impressive.

Cheers,
Ian.

Bealman

Very interesting observations indeed.

Thanks for posting!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Elvinley

PLD

Was the Jubilee not in the 2007 Catalogue - IIRC the first ones were released towards the end of 2007 (Warley?)

Both the Pullman and BR Mk1 Suburban coaches were very recent releases in 2007 and TBH the only thing I could see to improve on those would be body mounted NEM couplings to close up the (rather large) gaps...

Elvinley

Quote from: JasonBz on February 05, 2017, 11:52:15 PM
Interesting as this maybe it is also irrelevant.
Prices are higher than you would like them to be?

Sorry its just how it is. Buy or Don't Buy is your two option realistic choice.

Very rude response. I am just showing a comparison here. Some people will find this interesting.

Elvinley

Quote from: PLD on February 05, 2017, 11:39:48 PM
Was the Jubilee not in the 2007 Catalogue - IIRC the first ones were released towards the end of 2007 (Warley?)

Both the Pullman and BR Mk1 Suburban coaches were very recent releases in 2007 and TBH the only thing I could see to improve on those would be body mounted NEM couplings to close up the (rather large) gaps...

The Jubilee, the 9F, the 3MT tank and the Ivatt were shown. None of these had been released at this point so actual photos or OO models were shown. as we all know the 9F was cancelled. All the actual steam models shown in the 2007 catalogue have now gone.

PeteW

I thought it was interesting. Don't think anyone is surprised by rising prices, but the price of wagons is definitely eye-catching. As a newbie to the hobby, I've been taken aback by the price of wagons generally.

Elvinley

Quote from: JasonBz on February 06, 2017, 12:49:27 AM
Sorry if it came across as overly rude, but its not like threads along these lines are exactly rare.

What exactly are you hoping to achieve by showing the comparison ?
I think we all know that prices generally go upwards as quality increases though remarkably in the early 21st C model railway prices did the very opposite.
This gave some people a false idea of where the market was actually at.

Please feel free to carry on with you comparisons.

When I used to post on here regularly years ago those kind of responses were never seen, only on the bigger modelling forum. This was always a friendlier place to be. I am not trying to achieve anything. This was just to show how things have changed in ten years. If you don't like it just ignore it.

Elvinley

Quote from: PeteW on February 06, 2017, 12:52:40 AM
I thought it was interesting. Don't think anyone is surprised by rising prices, but the price of wagons is definitely eye-catching. As a newbie to the hobby, I've been taken aback by the price of wagons generally.

I think this is because they require a lot of assembly with all the fiddly parts. I read somewhere that the Presflo wagons took ten times longer than others. This is not in the new catalogue.

Rabbitaway

Thanks Elvinley

Although probably hard to do a comparison of the regular selling prices would be interesting

When I first started back with N gauge in about 2008 after a break of a few years I was pleasantly surprised how cheap stuff was.

Examples are class 57 and 60 for £34 each from Hattons

These were the good old days  :(

Rabbitaway

Elvinley

Put this into your calculations to see if there is an increase in heavily discounted models

Frightliner 57 £34 in 2008 discounted price

FGW 57 £60 in 2016 discounted price

Thanks

JasonBz

Quote from: Elvinley on February 06, 2017, 12:53:51 AM
Quote from: JasonBz on February 06, 2017, 12:49:27 AM
Sorry if it came across as overly rude, but its not like threads along these lines are exactly rare.

What exactly are you hoping to achieve by showing the comparison ?
I think we all know that prices generally go upwards as quality increases though remarkably in the early 21st C model railway prices did the very opposite.
This gave some people a false idea of where the market was actually at.

Please feel free to carry on with you comparisons.

When I used to post on here regularly years ago those kind of responses were never seen, only on the bigger modelling forum. This was always a friendlier place to be. I am not trying to achieve anything. This was just to show how things have changed in ten years. If you don't like it just ignore it.

I am outta here
It would appear any disagreement with what you think is out of your safe space, and its just not friendly - like on the bigger forum (wherever that is)

have fun

Elvinley

Quote from: Rabbitaway on February 06, 2017, 01:12:19 AM
Elvinley

Put this into your calculations to see if there is an increase in heavily discounted models

Frightliner 56 £34 in 2008 discounted price

FGW 56 £60 in 2016 discounted price

Thanks

£34 is £43.18 now. Do you mean the class 57?

Rabbitaway

Yes I mean the 57

Need to stop posting this late as not good for straight thinking

:dunce:

acko22

OK just for clarity when you work out your prices from 2007 to now is that just inflation based on UK figures and exchange rates?

If so honest answer Elvinley may as well ignore it as there are so many variables in there with the money it makes it almost no use, just to name a few factors the inflation in China (bear in mind they have had around 7% growth for almost 20 years), the Chinese pay rises in the region if not bang on 20%, then the cost for materials add into all that exchange rates which in 10 years can vary so much you end up needing a master degree in maths to work it all out.

But the one thing your study picks out for me is how lucky in the past 10 years that the models been offered have come on massive steps in terms of quality and variety, we saw the boom just a few years ago with there been tons of new models on offer for us all to pick at.

But I think now after a spell of lots of models and relatively low prices we are going to have to swallow the pill that we now face a spell of consolidation and higher prices for models as manufacturers attempt to calm things down and balance things out from a boom period.
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations