2018 Commonwealth Games

Started by Bealman, April 09, 2018, 10:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Without wishing to belittle the achievements of many of the competitors it seems a significantly lower standard (at least in cycling) than, for example, the Olympics. I've never heard of most of the competitors!

daffy

Just watched the cycling Time Trial - well done Australia for two golds, and for England with silver and bronze.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

To be perfectly honest, the club patrons have completely abandoned the games coverage, in favour of rugby league, which rules, here in NSW.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

Keep yer eye on the balls, Mick. :D

Bealman

Roosters vs Rabbitohs, if anyone cares.... that's Canterbury vs South Sydney, translated.  ;D

I actually have half an eye on it 'cos I'm on top of the tipping comp at the moment!  :beers:

Bealman

And Geez, these big blokes go in hard!

daffy

Now c'mon, don't keep us in suspense any longer George! :no:

What's the score? :hmmm:

:D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

Dunno at the moment, and don't really give a  :censored:

I'm going to have me dinner, then watch a video.

Deltics on the ECML of course. :beers: ;D

njee20

Sorry, I misread the topic as Commonwealth Games, rather than rugby or cricket. ;)

Unusually for me, dragging a thread back on topic good to see an English 1-2 in the women's mountain biking, but a tiny field. Definitely feels like a bit of a second string event.

Edited to include a smiley, as it did read slightly churlishly, which was not my intention given my penchant for derailing threads!

Bealman

Closing ceremony starting. Loved the way the para games were integrated with the games themselves.  :thumbsup:

njee20

I agree in principle, but the flip side of that is that I heard virtually nothing of the para games. Literally one result that I recall.

daffy

Really enjoyed the games, including the paragames events - maybe being retired I get to see more on the live channel.

Australia did extremely well, and the last match I watched live - the women's netball, was brilliant and could have gone to either of two great teams. But well done the Roses for their spirit and determination. :thumbsup:

Watching from the UK with the BBC team was not the best experience - too much studio chat, and commentary on many events that was far too O.T.T. for my tastes. Much of it was mob handed, as seems to be the norm these days, with any one of two, three or even four commentators all vying for prominence and seemingly convinced that what they had to say took preference over whichever colleague happened to be speaking at the time.

Watching the gymnastics event, on the 'uneven bars' (I thought they used to be called 'asymmetric bars', but maybe I'm not dumb enough to understand the change), the male commentator, while edifying me with the names of each move the gymnast was making, thought fit to laboriously inform me of each transistion : " to the high bar......... to the low bar.... to the high bar...... to the low bar.....".  Streuth! :o

This was fairly typical, and I resorted to watching with zero sound in many instances. Do these folks go to Commentators School, where the First Rule of Commentators School is "Never let a second go by without filling it with words, no matter how pointless and inane that may seem". :hmmm:

But then I'm an irascible curmudgeon and grumpy old git. :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

Wow. That's a heck of a good reply!

But I agree totally.

The commentary always leaves heaps to be desired.

Obviously, living here, it is oriented to Australian results, but just as annoying.

Thanks!  :beers:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations