Acrylic paint options.

Started by trkilliman, August 17, 2017, 10:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkilliman

In previous posts I have said that my prefered acrylic paint is Tamiya. This is based on having had good results with it and it being quite widely available...Hobbycraft branches always see to have it if you haven't a model shop nearby.

Having said that my local H/craft in Truro decided to remove Tamiya from it's shelves, leaving Humbrol which I don't really rate that highly.

At the till I commented on it's removal and was told it was down to available space when they revamped the model area.  In there yesterday and they have it back on the shelf...albeit now 20p a jar more expensive.
I spoke to the chap who had given the reason for it's removal, and he said they had been frequently asked for it so decided to put it back. I bought a couple of colours I am gettin low on.

Whilst looking around I came across a range of acrylic paint under their own Hobbycraft label. At 60ml they are 6 x the volume in a Tamiya jar.  I picked out a reddish brown to use on brickwork, and a light grey that looks very similar to B.R. unfitted grey.  My daughter bought a copper colour to use on a small project and said the covering capacity of it was exceptional.

Haven't used my colours yet but will report back when I do with the results.

I did buy some 250ml bottles of an American acrylic a while back, crimson and cream that matched a Farish coach I had bought an hour before. They were £1.50 a bottle in a H/craft clearance sale.

So, Hobbycraft can sometimes offer a source of really cheap acrylic paint.

Have others found a cheap source for some of their acrylic colours?

Newportnobby

I usually stock up on 'Crafter's Choice' acrylics when I go to the craft shop at the Fleetwood outlet centre.
They're 59ml and seem to give good coverage.

elmo

I generally use Daler Rowney artist tube paint and mix my own colours. I thin down with both acrylic thinner and water. This can be thinned down foe airbrush use and lasts for ages in sealed jars.
Elmo

trkilliman

Forgot to mention that the H/craft own brand 60ml colours were £1.50, their normal price.
There will be times when you need a specific colour and the likes of Tamiya fit the bill. For other colours a much cheaper option with greater volume can often suffice.

I have looke at Lifecolour packs, seemingly "pushed" in some of the model press. Cannot see myself parting with my cash for these though when you can mix your own.

Dorsetmike

I prefer tubes as well, either Reeves from the Range or a box of cheap ones from Lidl, thin with water as and when needed.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Delboy

Mike,
Are the Lidi ones OK for airbrushing?
Dennis.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Dorsetmike

Sorry Dennis, not tried any airbrushing, I don't find any difference with a brush, don't see there would be much difference in an air brush, I've diluted them quite a bit when I use them for a wash they don't seem to have any "bits" undissolved.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

lil chris

I agree with mike the Range is very gòod for cheap artist materials,prices are a lot lower than hobbycraft for the same items.some items are expensive at hobby craft and I got ripped off buying a magnifying lamp from them that went faulty.so do not buy electrical goods from them.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Dorsetmike

Agree with Chris' statement comparing the Range and Hobbycraft, plus for me the Range is less than half the distance than Hobbycraft, what's more it's on a big retail park, Hobbycraft shares spece with a Garden centre.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

trkilliman

Oh' there's no doubt that Hobbycraft can be expensive. Their prices for plastic kits, plasticard and balsa are frightening  (oh' for the days of 2/6 airfix kits...lol) Recently though I have picked up some good buys in there.

A few months back they were doing sets of 5 Daler Rowney brushes for the knockdown price of £2. These were the ones with varnished honey coloured handles, consisting of pointed and chisel edged brushes. At this price I bought a few sets and am quite satisfied with them.

They do tend to be knocking selected stuff down to half price or below. Just yesterday my wife was buying Daler Rowney Artist grade watercolour tubes at £2 each. Some of them had a rrp of £7 each. They also had plastic bottles of ready mixed watercolour paint , inc brown and green,at £1, and stainless steel 300mm rules at £1.50
Maybe they are carrying a lot of stock due to their previous top whack prices on most things, and are freeing up some cash by discounting...just a guess on my part.  Anyway, I know the Range also offer some good prices.

elmo

With regard to air brushing tube acrylics I have found that you need to mix with acrylic thinners. Using just water they do not adhere to the surface very well puddling and leaving gaps. I use water very sparingly in instances where a thinned acrylic needs say one drop of water to perfect the consistency required.
Elmo

Delboy

Hi elmo,
Thanks for the info. I have not yet summoned up the courage to use mt airbrushing kit so am glad of any knowledge.
Dennis.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

elmo

What I have found is that due to the quicker drying time with acrylics the air brush blocks up after a short time requiring the pin to be cleaned. Just the pin in my experience, not a full washout, so you can pull the pin out, wipe it then carry on painting almost immediately. Acrylic thinners slow the drying time which reduces pin clean off sessions.
What I have found is that acrylics will not leave as good layer of paint as enamels. One example being a plain black coat. This would have taken one enamel coat. With acrylics it took four. However, with acrylics faster drying time the 4 coats were complete and dry before the enamel would have been. Also, multiple thinner coats allow model detail e.g. wood grain to show through better.
Elmo

Delboy

Thanks again elmo for your input.
Very grateful.
Dennis.

Karhedron

Quote from: Only Me on August 17, 2017, 10:30:06 AM
Citadel Acrylics are pretty good too, but by no means cheap!..

Humbrol IMO are awful as too thin

Agreed, Citadel are excellent and the wide range of colours means you can match most shades pretty well if you can get over the sci-fi names. For example, Mechanicus Standard Grey is an excellent match for Farish's GWR freight grey.

Vallejo also do an excellent range of acrylics including ones designed for airbrushing straight form the bottle.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations