Scaling Down

Started by Train Waiting, August 15, 2018, 07:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Train Waiting

I don't know if this will be of much interest, but there was an article about 'Hot Wheels' cars in the 'Daily Telegraph' on 4 August 2018.  This range of 1:64 models has now been available for 50 years.  For me, the fascinating part of the article (I'm not really interested in how many models a collector has or how much the rarest one is worth) was a quote from Ted Wu, who is in charge of the Hot Wheels design team,  "When we create the Hot Wheels version of a real vehicle, people often think that we can just shrink the design but the funny thing is that vehicles don't look quite right if you simply shrink them 64 times."

Back in my P4 days, trying to model a station to scale, I had this niggling doubt that it somehow ... looked wrong.  I had done a lot of research, including site surveys, so I knew that the dimensions were right.  But they were so right that they looked wrong.

I've thought about this on and off over the years and was glad to read Mr Wu's observation.

The reason for this impression is probably multifactorial (viewing angle, light, background, photographs compared to the human eye and suchlike) and subtle, but I'm interested in Mr Wu's point.  Interestingly, the sub editor appears to be as well, because she made this one of these little highlighted quotes that newspapers use nowadays.

I wonder if anyone else on the Forum has thought this or should I give up trains and collect model cars instead?

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations