Feedback about the forum

Started by guest2, December 01, 2012, 12:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I have to say that as part of the Moderating Team I always use the 'Unread posts since last visit' facility, then use the Home/End/Page Down/Page Up buttons to scoot around.
As we have to read everything regardless of interest (gotta keep an eye on everything >:D) I also find it helpful to have 2 tabs open for the forum

Steve.T

Can you remove the "Bargain Basement" section then the family may get a holiday next year with all the money I will save  :).

Or perhaps not  :no:

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

Pengi

:laugh:
Quote from: Steve.T on December 13, 2012, 09:54:54 AM
Can you remove the "Bargain Basement" section then the family may get a holiday next year with all the money I will save  :).

Or perhaps not  :no:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

kaiwhara

I'm wondering if the "Recent Posts" section down the bottom of the home screen could be made "Clickable" with an expanded list. One thing that keeps bugging me is, someone replies to a post I am watching that I really wanna read when Im at work on a break (means on the mobile but I use the full site page), however it means when I get home, theres sod all in the "Unread since last visit" as having logged in on the mobile wiped it, and I can't see what everyone has been writing!  :(
:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

longbridge

There are model railway forums that have the list of latest posts at the top of the page not the bottom, personally I think having it at the top of the page is far more convenient.

Keep on Smiling
Dave.

MikeDunn

Apols if I mis-understand your point - but if there were multiple ones surely you'd then have to read up the screen from the last one you read to the current last post  :confused2:

Sounds a lot worse to me ...

longbridge

Its actually quite simple, shove this up to the top of the page and fit a scroll bar at the side of it so more threads can be seen, it would certainly save having to scroll past 43 sections to get to it.

Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Lawrence

Quote from: oldrailbug on December 13, 2012, 07:27:27 PM
Its actually quite simple, shove this up to the top of the page and fit a scroll bar at the side of it so more threads can be seen, it would certainly save having to scroll past 43 sections to get to it.

Dave you can just hit the END key on your keyboard and it will take you to the bottom of the page, then hit HOME to return to the top  :thumbsup:

kaiwhara

Quote from: Lawrence on December 13, 2012, 07:37:52 PM

Dave you can just hit the END key on your keyboard and it will take you to the bottom of the page, then hit HOME to return to the top  :thumbsup:

My point being however that there is a limit of how many posts this will display, and a late shift at work in New Zealand whilst you Poms get up and have your morning Latte's wil actually see more topics written on than there are lines to show individual posts! If it could have the option of being scrolly and more lines - it means I would be able to look at select topics I am watching whilst at work without losing track of what else is going on when I get home and have more time!

Just a thought

longbridge

Quote from: Lawrence on December 13, 2012, 07:37:52 PM

Well i'll be blowed Lawrence after 20 years messing around with computers I find out something simple like END takes you to the bottom of a page  :doh: :doh: :doh:

I guess I am just a Mouse addict, thanks for that mate it will make things a lot easier  :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Newportnobby

Do you not use the 'Show unread posts since last visit', as that shows all the posts and then you can choose what to look at from there ???

ORB - please see reply #90, and then have a play

kaiwhara

Quote from: newportnobby on December 13, 2012, 08:16:57 PM
Do you not use the 'Show unread posts since last visit', as that shows all the posts and then you can choose what to look at from there ???

I do. My problem is though that if I log on with the mobile - often a good several hours before I get home, often I am on because someone replied to a thread I am watching, and I don't have a lot of time to trawl through the rest of it. When I get home however, there is sod all on the unread list - certainly nowhere near what has been written since I went to work, as logging on on the mobile wipes this purely because I visited!  :(

Newportnobby

Quote from: kaiwhara on December 13, 2012, 08:23:25 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on December 13, 2012, 08:16:57 PM

I do. My problem is though that if I log on with the mobile - often a good several hours before I get home, often I am on because someone replied to a thread I am watching, and I don't have a lot of time to trawl through the rest of it. When I get home however, there is sod all on the unread list - certainly nowhere near what has been written since I went to work, as logging on on the mobile wipes this purely because I visited!  :(

Strange that :worried: If I bail out halfway through reading the unread posts, those I haven't read are still there when I log back in :confused1:
Does anyone know if this is peculiar to mobiles because, being a luddite, I only use a mobile for texting and making calls :dighole:

Caz

I often use my mobile for catching up quite often and all the posts I haven't read are still there when I get home and use the laptop indoors.  If I remember correctly there are various options if using the mobile, one of which is "mark all posts as read", maybe this option is inadvertently ticked when you click done etc. 
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Pengi

Quote from: whiteswan on December 13, 2012, 08:35:42 PM
I often use my mobile for catching up quite often and all the posts I haven't read are still there when I get home and use the laptop indoors.  If I remember correctly there are various options if using the mobile, one of which is "mark all posts as read", maybe this option is inadvertently ticked when you click done etc.
I've just checked this on my mobile and it works for me too.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations