Modelmaster/NGS decals

Started by trkilliman, October 13, 2017, 01:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkilliman

Just a general enquiry here... Modelmaster decals.

Has you purchased any in recent times?

If so how was the service now you order direct from M/Master?

Are the prices similar to when they were within the NGS shop, or have they risen in cost noticeably?

Dr Al

I ordered nameplates in July and still yet to receive. Reminds me I need to get onto them...

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

PaulCheffus

Hi

I've not bought any yet as the ones I want haven't appeared on the website. Prices even with discount seem to be higher than they were from the NGS shop.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

trkilliman

Well, I hope that we get a few more replies/opinions during the next day or two.

I looked at the Modelmaster website earlier today, and was a bit taken aback at the prices shown.

As you say Paul even with the 10% members discount they do seem noticeably more expensive. It may be my imagination or suspicious nature, this is why others comments will be welcome.

I do recall reading that when the stocktake was done after the joint long term shop resignation, there were huge stocks of many decals. I will assume that these had been purchased at lowish/preferential prices over some time.
What has happened to all of these decals, are they now with Modelmaster?
Has some or all of the former NGS shop become subject to re-pricing?

I have recently had some high quality decals custom made, and they work out about 25% more expensive than the full price of an equivalent sized sheet at Modelmasters full price.

I have always felt that the decals along with the NGS kits, and special commisions are a big draw/benefit of membership. I hope that handing the sale of the decals back to M/masters doesn't result in periodic price hikes. I would translate this as a loss of a membership benefit.

RailGooner

I bought some nameplates back in April, as soon as MJE began selling the ex-NGS stock.

I know it's been explained on here, how it was necessary to slim down the NGS Shop if it was to continue. And how the MJE solution provided the best chance of NGS members actually being able to buy the Modelmaster range. And, for me at least, that hope was borne out - I was able to order and receive within a week, the nameplates that for an age I'd wanted to but couldn't buy from the NGS Shop. I didn't notice whether I was paying more, but at £9.81 (inc. P&P before NGS discount) for a set of nameplates, I'm not complaining.

But Alan's experience sounds very opposite to mine and is an account of terrible service - not the experience the NGS had hoped for us.

silly moo

I ordered some etched nameplates at the beginning of August, they took my money and according to the website the order is being processed but trying to find out any more information has been frustrating, two unanswered emails so far.

I had wanted to change the delivery address but have no idea whether they have received the relevant email. I don't mind waiting a bit for the plates but the lack of communication is very frustrating. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get the nameplates. If I wasn't in Africa I'd phone them.

I didn't expect same day service but this is a bit much.

broadsword

Apart from etched nameplates are Modelmaster decals similar to those
from Fox Transfers ? I phoned an order to Fox at 3pm a while ago
and the goods arrived the following morning.

thebrighton

Over the years I found the Modelmaster ones to be of mixed quality especially with lining where the different colours could be offset. Never had any issues with Fox ones.

Farmer chap

Hi trkilliman,

I'd be interested to know where you had the custom made decals produced as I'm in the market for

some on a kit I'm building.

Cheers Ian

silly moo

Railtec are good for custom made transfers. I've used them in the past and was very happy with their service.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: silly moo on October 14, 2017, 02:11:47 PM
Railtec are good for custom made transfers. I've used them in the past and was very happy with their service.

Hi

However you may need to wait awhile before you get them. Two years later I'm still waiting for some custom transfers to finish my Polybulks. The wait when they do turn up though will have been worth it as they are very good quality.

Precision decals are another option. I had some printed from my own artwork recently. I paid £25 for an A4 sheet of black and white transfers.

www.precisionlabels.com

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

silly moo

Railtec were fine delivery wise but it was a few years ago, they all seem to have delivery problems, I just wish they would communicate better.

RichardBenn

I have two Modelmaster orders outstanding since June. I spoke to him a couple of months back and he said that the hold up was because (a) he hadn't realised that the NGS had renumbered everything and (b) the packs were all mixed up and required a lot of sorting.

I second the comments about Railtec. Very good quality and fast service for standard items but I've been waiting over two years for some custom DMU transfers.

trkilliman

Farmer chap.

I have sent you a reply...look in your forum message box.

silly moo

I keep on getting Modelmaster promotional emails which are really irritating because they still haven't replied to my queries about my order.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations