Commercial N gauge models better than OO gauge?

Started by H, February 25, 2012, 07:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H

Quote from: PLD on February 26, 2012, 12:26:11 PM
Why do all discussions in this Hobby have to decend to "mines better than your's" arguments???

Quite obviously they don't - not everything is such an argument.

Yet oddly enough discussion where people don't always agree with everything said is rampant on forums. But it's not necessarily an argument. Many people can live with and accept differences without over-reacting.

And quite often many people simply want re-assurance that they made the correct decision for themselves although whats correct for one doesn't have to be for another.

H.

Elvinley

A lot of it is subjective. One person's perfect runner is another's dog. Some people still buy ancient locos that were bad even by the standards of the day and I'm sure they happily watch them dart around their layouts. Healthy discussion is fine as long as it doesn't descent to insults.

Roy L S

Quote from: PLD on February 26, 2012, 12:26:11 PM
Why do all discussions in this Hobby have to decend to "mines better than your's" arguments???

If it's not X guage is better than Y gauge, is Manufacturer A is better than B or Steam is better than Diesel....

Why can't we just accept the truth that there are some gems and also some lemons in every scale and in every manufacturers range, and be happy for each other to carry on doing what suits them...

The examples in the OP are probably correct; in those two instances N Gauge is probably ahead of 00 but that does not in any way extrapolate to a blanket favouring on one scale over the other!

Paul

Hi Paul

I'm not sure why my comments justified such an attack in response?

In many ways I am agreeing with you. I was merely trying to balance the argument in saying that 00 is not perfect either, as there have been some very high profile issues and real "lemons".

True, my preferred scale is British N. For me the new Farish steam in particular ticks all the boxes in terms of looks, reliability and performance, I have not yet had one "dud". That said I also have small amounts of 0, 00 and even some old Triang TT, so my eyes are wide open as to the releative advantages and disadvantages of each scale.

For example, as many on this Forum wil have worked out I am a big fan of the LNER B1, I thought the Farish model was awesome, but I am just blown away by that exquisite Hornby model....

Roy

Adam1701D

There are a few models where the N Gauge version is superior to the currently available version - the Class 150, Class 67, Class 86 and Mark 3 coaches. It's also worth looking at rolling stock prices - some coaches in OO are retailing at around £40-£50 now and these aren't even Pullmans or special editions.

As most N Gauge coaches are still under £20.00, it does make economic sense as well  :)
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Newportnobby

Speaking personally, I don't think anyone should take a stance of 'mine is better than yours' as it is pointless and adds nothing to the discussion. It is great that 'high street' journals should recognise that some N gauge has improved beyond OO standards, but PLD is correct in saying it is not a cover all statement and he is also right in saying there is good and bad in both. There are also advantages to be had in both gauges but these should not be used to decry one or the other - horses for courses springs to mind.
I haven't seen anyone 'over-reacting' and hope I don't as I like a healthy debate without any finger pointing. We all have personal reasons for modelling what we do, and this should be accepted by everyone as an individual's right without question. Likewise, we all have personal opinions but unless it contributes to the thread i.e. it helps or benefits other members I would suggest it is kept personal and not aired.

Elvinley

On a positive note, one of the gems of N scale has to be the Farish 03 / 04 shunters. I have a few of these now and I think they compare very favourable with the oo versions as far as looks go, and run so well when they are adjusted correctly that they are a joy to operate. Good slow speed on them too. Silent runners. I can even run slowly over an express point with an insulfrog which must measure the good part of an inch with them! The only down side is that the pickups sometimes need adjusting from time to time after many hours of running. This is a delicate operation, but after a couple of times it is easily done in ten minutes.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations