For all speed freaks out there

Started by Newportnobby, February 22, 2012, 01:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moogle

Was that the Stig in disguise?  :smiley-laughing:

Hope mine last a wee bit longer....
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Sprintex

The man's an idiot  ::)

All his driving is stupid showing off, but put him on a proper rally stage with mixed surfaces, tight timing and trees to hit and he's not so clever as he has proved numerous times!  ;)

Better car control is demonstrated by PROPER rally drivers all year throughout the WRC season  :thumbsup:

Paul

4x2

Quote from: Sprintex on February 22, 2012, 01:56:06 PM

All his driving is stupid showing off, but put him on a proper rally stage with mixed surfaces, tight timing and trees to hit and he's not so clever as he has proved numerous times!  ;)

Better car control is demonstrated by PROPER rally drivers all year throughout the WRC season  :thumbsup:

Paul
I'll second that !  :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong, he clearly has a talent - but if he was that good - why isn't he playing with the big boys instead of wasting tyres in the local ASDA carpark...  ::)
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Fratton

theres a similar video to this promoting one of the latest rally games on consoles but doing all this in the battersy powerstation site, some great control
Charlie.

Calnefoxile

Paul

Paul,

Sorry to disappoint you mate, but Ken Block is a PROPER rally driver!!!

Here's the Top Gear footage of him on different surfaces, albeit in a Scoobie rather than the Fiesta he now drives.

Top Gear - Ken Block Airfield Rallying

Regards

Neal.

galway

Great bit of driving! Very similar to me in the Iveco today.
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

tim-pelican

I've done a "rally driving for dummies" session at Silverstone (separate mud-bath from the regular track).  Respect is due, it's madness.   Having done it ourselves with the instructor shouting a lot to go faster, turn harder, etc, we then did a few laps in the navigator's seat - how they follow a map under those conditions amazes me too!

Greybeema

I'm with Neal, Ken Block is a proper Rally Driver.  And yes that is terrific car control which the vast majority of us could never hope to come close to.

:Class414:
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

polo2k

Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Mustermark

Nobby, that is a very cool video. I think that is a fantastic display, very cool exhibition driving. What a great place to have fun like that. I have done a bit of rally training and i can only imagine the delicate level of control required. Plus the mental strength to not actually want to run over that Seguay! :smiley-laughing:

Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

When i get more time i will also warch Polo's truck vids.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Sprintex

Quote from: Calnefoxile on February 22, 2012, 04:38:44 PM
Sorry to disappoint you mate, but Ken Block is a PROPER rally driver!!!

I respectfully beg to differ - how many rallies last year did he actually score points on?  ;)

As shown HERE he scored points on just two of the eight rounds he entered, finishing outside the points on 5 and retiring from one. Yes he's a verygood driver, but there are much better drivers out there at the top of that table  ;D

Speaking as someone who did a fair amount of road-rallying in my teens/twenties the proof as always is in the results  :thumbsup:

Ash - don't get me started on 'Drifting', the most pointless form of competition ever devised !!  ::) Since when did driving like a "mammary appendage" for no apparent reason become a sport? Just sums up the current trend in everything of "image over function" to me  :(

Paul

Mustermark

Paul, are you saying that competing and scoring points in the world's premier rally competition doesn't qualify him as a bone fide rally driver? Seriously?

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Sprintex

Not for one minute, just pointing out that there are much better drivers out there that don't feel the need to make "demonstration" videos to big themselves up  ;)

Paul

polo2k

Hold on a moment guys,

Ken Block is not a WRC Driver (He does that mainly for a bit of fun)
Ken Block is a world renound Gymkhana driver.

Gymkhana is not a widely acknowledged sport and is often bundled with rallying

Ken block actually started in fashion, where him and a friend started a shoe company (DC Shoes). As the comapny progressed they became popular within the extreme sports field. At this time Mr Block was probably sat at home lighting cigars with "Fiddys" and decided to do some driving. Turns out hes epic at it! Now he has started another career as a driver, where he is also using it as a marketing platform for several other vendors, Smart bloke overall!

As for drifting, I see your point. However it is again a situation where the sport is often not fully understood.
Drifting originally started as Togue driving, where a convoy of cars drove fast through the japenese canyons (not competitively, just for a blat). Over time the restriction of not passing, promoted "ego stretching" in the corners. Over time these guys wanted to show off a bit more, but not in the canyons, so they did it is cordoned off areas (This eventually evolved into gymkhana).
Drifting is not an attempt at speed, it is purely for looks. As an example, one of the highest ranked UK cars is an impretza that has had its 4wd removed and replaced with a RWD setup and a Skyline engine. Not as fast on a rally stage but~:

It does what its designed for VERY WELL!

The competitions are scored based on the extremeness of the drifts and placement is not considered important.
A perfect illustration of the "just for looks" is that you can buy tyres that do different coloured smoke!

So I Agree, pointless as far as speed is concerned*, in the same way that rowing boats are pointless on motorways. ;)

(* if you have a couple of spare hours, watch a  film called "Initial D" and this explains how it is actually faster and smoother to drift)

Now if we want to redirect some anger and want a new pointless competition... I present ...

Concourse du rupteur!!

http://youtu.be/4nTWak8JDho?t=25s

http://youtu.be/9na9HTAHPRA?t=35s

Literally, Limiter competition!

Yours Truely,

A petrolhead ;)

[Devils advocate] Im sure they would say that playing with little trains is pointless too! [/devils advocate]
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations