Storm Ali

Started by dannyboy, September 19, 2018, 10:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

I am not sure whether Storm Ali has hit the UK yet, but here in Ireland, the winds are horrendous!  :o. We are prone to interruptions in the electricity supply where I live, but the power has gone off again. Having just checked an app' I have, there are that many faults showing on the map, I can not tell which one relates to my area!  :goggleeyes:. At least I have a little gas ring for such emergencies, so I can have a cup of coffee and some soup for lunch. I can't even do any work in the train room as there is no natural light in there.  :thumbsdown:. The laptop has about 3 hours of battery power so I can do some internetting.  :thumbsup:. Still, there are worse problems in life.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

dannyboy

Me and my big mouth!  I had just sent the above post when the internet and mobile phone went AWOL  :'(. So I have spent the last 3 hours reading a book - good job I enjoy reading. And I can now boil the kettle and have some decent lunch. On a more sombre note, there are still thousands without power throughout the island of Ireland and, sadly, one person has died in Ireland when a caravan was blown over a cliff .  :(
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Winds around 40-50mph today and fence panels a-rattling in their posts but all is due to calm down in about 2-3 hours.

port perran

Storm Ali was a damp squib down here but Storm Bronagh has well and truly arrived this evening.
Blowing a hoolie and absolutely teeming down here so shan't be going outside.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

I think Bronagh is due to hit us around 4 ack emma and last all day tomorrow :uneasy:

port perran

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 20, 2018, 08:24:52 PM
I think Bronagh is due to hit us around 4 ack emma and last all day tomorrow :uneasy:

Ack emma ?
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Quote from: port perran on September 20, 2018, 08:39:54 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on September 20, 2018, 08:24:52 PM

Ack emma ?

Sorry. A Forces term for ante meridiem. (a.m.)
p.m. = pip emma

Bealman

Bealette copped winds of 250 km/hour at her place in Japan during typhoon Jebi a month or so ago!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Chetcombe

We had the remnants of Hurricane Florence go through on Tuesday. About 3 hours of torrential rain like you rarely see and then gone just as soon as it arrived. I just can't imagine what it must have been like in the Carolinas to have had that kind of rain for several days...

Hope the folks on the forum who went through Ali and are going through Bronagh are all ok
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

The Q

Bronagh has mostly been through East anglia, there were 4 trees down in one area on the A47 So I guess they got a particularly strong gust there.
I've been on patrol round the garden with Ben the Border collie, this Morning at 06:00 he was keen to get back to the house out of the gale. Our garden with many trees seems OK, there were many small branches down on the way to work and some scaffolding.
Sunday afternoon / night they are forecasting stronger winds for us 60MPH plus, I think the weekend sailing may be called off, which is a shame as it's a big 2 day event ..The Wind has dropped to 41MPH at the moment.

I was checking the Motor boat on the sailing club Web Cams yesterday it seemed OK, as it does this morning, just bouncing around a bit on it's moorings...

Newportnobby

It's been pissistently raining for more than 24 hrs now and no sign of a let up until this evening according to the forecast. From 11am to 6pm winds will be over 40mph. Hopefully we'll miss the storm on Sunday up here :uneasy:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations