!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: East Lancashire lines  (Read 89218 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: East Lancashire lines
« Reply #1500 on: November 05, 2017, 05:56:34 pm »
Great updates Chris, making good progress with the canopies, the weathering looks good, as do the coal loads

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1501 on: November 05, 2017, 11:17:35 pm »
Hi everyone, more work tonight painting the canopy supports. Then I decided to have a go at programing, it is so frustrating when my Powercab says can not read cv even after numerous attempts at cleaning my short length of program track, and the loco's run ok on it. Anyway I decided to try connecting JMRI Decoder Pro, I seemed to be having problems with that has well. I looked up the error message  then all of a sudden it started working  or I think it is for a while , it said writing cv**,then I started getting time out errors.Hope fully I have programmed the Union Mills 3F because that was the one I could not get to run smooth.Maybe a longer USB cable to the computer so I can connect it round the back might give a more reliable connection.

After I posted this I found a loose wire in the track connection plug to the panel, this would explain why the Powercab could not read cv's. Also after changing anything in decoder pro you have to re load the program, which may explain why it started to work after a while. After reading the manual I found online I might give it another go tomorrow night.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 12:23:24 am by lil chris, Reason: extra text »
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1502 on: November 06, 2017, 05:45:37 am »
Thanks Chris, you have answered a question I have had for a while... are Union Mills loco's suitable for DCC.

Offline Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #1503 on: November 06, 2017, 06:40:23 am »
It is frustrating when computers (that's what a DCC system is) play up, but there's usually a logical, but often obscure, reason for it.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1504 on: November 06, 2017, 08:31:30 am »
Glad that you were able to solve at least some of the problems, Chris. Faulty wiring seems to be a common problem. When all the wiring is finished at Cant Cove, a fault-finding test session will be the first priority after a thorough track cleaning.

Yes, Andrew, Union Mills locos. can be DCC-fitted (I checked with Douglas, at Wickness some time ago) but you may have to mill out space in the loco's. tender to fit the DCC chip).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 12:33:22 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected »

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #1505 on: November 06, 2017, 10:00:21 am »
Yes Andrew I have fitted a ct chip which is very small in the tender above the motor.i had to mill out some metal in the tender but not much.Union mills has changed motors so I had a bit of trouble getting it to run smooth but tuning on decoder pro has helped.i nearly changed the chip for a Lenz but ct gives good motor control.i have bought some bits from n brass,I intend to do some detailing on the loco soon.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:01:44 am by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #1506 on: November 06, 2017, 10:20:04 pm »
Hi everyone, I seem to have had some success with the programing with JMRI Decoder,unfortunately no luck with my Powercab, it will not read any loco's no idea why. Cleaned the loco's and the track and I have even rewired the track, new wire and soldered connections with no luck its not made any difference. At least de-coder Pro seems to be working, just about getting my head round how it works. My Union Mills 3f is definitely running better and my old converted GF 4f ,I can see the improvement with its basic Digitrax DZ125. Who needs the Powercab for programming anyway now JMRI is running, its a mystery its a mystery....I feel a song coming on......You can't beat 80's music.....
Lil Chris

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1507 on: November 08, 2017, 12:57:11 pm »
Good to read of the progress made, Chris. I hope you'll be able to sort out all the DCC problems, soon.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #1508 on: November 09, 2017, 11:19:12 am »
Well my Powercab and reading cv's, for a moment last night a loco moved it then told me the code for the make of chip, but then went back to "Can Not Read CV". Fortunately Decoder pro seems to be working, it takes a long time but I have seen a definate improvement in the  loco control which makes it worth the wait.
Lil Chris

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1509 on: November 09, 2017, 05:19:30 pm »
Good news, Chris.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #1510 on: November 14, 2017, 10:24:54 pm »
Well I have spent a lot of time these last few days learning my way around JMRI Decoder pro, I am slowly getting there. After advice given on this forum I removed the ZTC 262 chip from the 3F Jinty tonight and replaced it with a CT DCX76z. This was a soldering job because of problems when I first bought the Jinty. It did not run very well and subsequently I ended up hard wiring a chip in. The only one I had at the time was the ztc bought from a show, a mistake because it was a bit rubbish.
I am presently trying to program the chip with JMRI,also My Powercab still refuses to read any cv's on my program track so lucky I now have JMRI decoder working.
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #1511 on: November 15, 2017, 08:11:49 am »
I will be interested to hear your results once you get the new chip programmed.  I suspect some of my problems may be chip related.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #1512 on: November 15, 2017, 07:01:16 pm »
Well a bit of a mess up last night,while tuning my locos I decided to try and improve my Jinty 3f. Well I had hardwired a decoder in it unfortunately not a good one,so I installed a ct chip last night. Unfortunately I had my wrong head on and rushed the job and wired it the wrong way round. Subject to further testing I think itís knackered so I am now waiting for another decoder hopefully arriving tomorrow. Lesson learned from this is do not rush take your time and do the job properly.

Lil Chris

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1513 on: November 15, 2017, 07:28:41 pm »
Well a bit of a mess up last night,while tuning my locos I decided to try and improve my Jinty 3f. Well I had hardwired a decoder in it unfortunately not a good one,so I installed a ct chip last night. Unfortunately I had my wrong head on and rushed the job and wired it the wrong way round. Subject to further testing I think itís knackered so I am now waiting for another decoder hopefully arriving tomorrow. Lesson learned from this is do not rush take your time and do the job properly.
I used to be a terror for rushing and then regretting it at my leisure. Iíve learned to (and made myself) take things slower now and itís a big improvement. Iíve also learned (the hard way) not to attempt things when Iím tired - again, I always end up regretting it.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1514 on: November 15, 2017, 08:31:14 pm »
It's also my excuse for glacial progress :)

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here