Slow?

Started by Jimbo, January 24, 2017, 04:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

Hi, this may not necessarily be a forum fault, it might be my 'pooter.....or even what's apparently known in the IT trade as a P.I.C.N.I.C. (Problem In Chair Not In Computer), whenever I click on a thread the little thing at the top keeps spinning round and round for ages and ages before anything pops up!? It started a couple of days ago and been doing it ever since, any ideas amongst the more computer literate among us please? Thank you!

Jimbo.
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

Jimbo

Just to add, the thingy that spins around as if the 'pooter is thinking about something is the one on my tab at the very top, not the little Black one on the forum page....although that seems to be going Ten to the Dozen a lot lately! LOL!
'Keep it country!'

Delboy

You could try re-booting your modem and computer.
I.e. Power down the computer and let it re-boot. Switch off or unplug the modem and restart that.
If that does not work, you may be advised to download some software, There is a free one which I use called CCleaner. It cleans all the junk and history from your computer which may be slowing it down.
Make sure you download the free version as there is one you pay for. Leave CCleaner on default setting but perhaps untick the cookies and make sure the "Saved Passwords" option is also unticked and run programme by clicking "Analyze". When it comes back with the results click on "Run Cleaner" option. I use it about once a month and the difference in speed is very noticeable.
You can download it from the link below:-
http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Jimbo

That's great! Thank you @Delboy ! Will try a disk clean up then (Just as soon as I can find out how! It's a fairly new laptop running Windows 10, still getting used to it!) that's what I used to do occasionally on the old PC (Windows XP), if not will look into the 'App' you suggested, thanks again!  :NGaugersRule:

Jimbo.
'Keep it country!'

themadhippy

occasionally getting the same thing as jimbo, opening threads or going back to the home page seem to take a bit longer than normal,not always thought,often reloading the site cures the problem,most certainly aint a windoze problem at this end,i aint using it
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

daffy

@Jimbo Have you checked everything under your desk? :hmmm:

It could just be a build up of fluff in the treadle bearings.  :D

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QwgjOf18msk/TEfom-2W0zI/AAAAAAAAAPg/NInX1GGJY9w/s1600/pdpcfinal5r.jpg

Either that or you're not treadling fast enough. :no: Try a few Mars bars. :D

Just trying to help. ;)

No problems here BTW.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Jimbo

LOL! Just had a couple of chocolate biscwits and a couple custard creamses!.....seems to be ok at the moment!!  :foodanddrink:  :thumbsup:
'Keep it country!'

Jimbo

Quote from: escafeld on January 24, 2017, 05:48:12 PM
Quote from: Jimbo on January 24, 2017, 05:08:06 PM
That's great! Thank you @Delboy ! Will try a disk clean up then (Just as soon as I can find out how! It's a fairly new laptop running Windows 10, still getting used to it!) that's what I used to do occasionally on the old PC (Windows XP), if not will look into the 'App' you suggested, thanks again!  :NGaugersRule:

Jimbo.

Disk Cleanup is on the start menu under Windows Administrative Tools in Windows 10

Great! Thank you @escafeld , I found administrative tools within the control panel, taking action on your suggestion, and have just this minute done a clean up by ticking several boxes in the clean up bit, then a progress bar came up and it said 'cleaning up unnecessary files on your machine', just hope I haven't got rid of anything the 'pooter wanted to run properly  :uneasy:, see what happens now!  :thumbsup:, in some aspects I think Windows 10 is easier to use than XP but in others it's quite frustrating! Still, as long as I can just do what I need to do i'm happy....it's wasted on me really! LOL!
'Keep it country!'

Jimbo

Just to add I've been 'surfing' the forum for a while now since the disc clean up and everything seems tickety boo so far! A definite improvement anyway, thanks y'all!  :claphappy:
'Keep it country!'

Tank

Glad to hear it. 

I know that this forum does get slow compared to others at times. :(

Bealman

Possibly due to slow mods like Bealman, Jimbo.  ;D

Glad it's sorted!  :thumbsup:

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

The other 5,131 of us weren't going to mention that, George :no: ;D

Jimbo

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:.

Quote from: Tank on January 25, 2017, 08:10:16 AM
Glad to hear it. 

I know that this forum does get slow compared to others at times. :(

Thanks Tank! No problems here, I'm never in a hurry, as you've all probably noticed with my layout!!  ;D.

Quote from: Bealman on January 25, 2017, 08:13:41 AM
Possibly due to slow mods like Bealman, Jimbo.  ;D

Glad it's sorted!  :thumbsup:

Not at all George!  :NGF:
'Keep it country!'

Jimbo

It's doing it again, not all the time though, weird! It seems to be a random thing.....it's not a problem for me though, the page does change eventually! I just thought it might be worth mentioning that's all, see how it goes! Cheers!
'Keep it country!'

Jimbo

........it's quite good actually, seems to be coinciding with my nodding dog impressions here on the settee.....been very early shifts all week it's catching up with me now  :sleep:
'Keep it country!'

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations