Electra Vinyls HSTs

Started by TheEdge, September 24, 2017, 04:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEdge

Quickie as I develop a little plan in the dark corners of my mind for a layout I don't have the same or money for, though, who does?  :)

Do the Electra Vinyls HST sets fit the Dapol HSTs are are they only good for the GraFar one? The GraFar HST does seem to be becoming hard to find these days so being able to fit it the Dapol one would be very useful.

Maurits71

from adam's website

The following HST Vehicles are available to order in N Gauge, designed to fit the Graham Farish Mark 3 coaches and power cars.

but why not asking the master him selves, he doesn't bit
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

MJKERR

I personally would not recommend using vinyls for locomotives
They are fine for coaches
Basically, you will lose all the detail, which becomes obvious on locomotives, especially the latest models

You could obtain a basic repaint from Millfield Models, which can include (generic) weathering

jacowin80

Quote from: MJKERR on September 24, 2017, 06:27:12 PM
I personally would not recommend using vinyls for locomotives
They are fine for coaches
Basically, you will lose all the detail, which becomes obvious on locomotives, especially the latest models

You could obtain a basic repaint from Millfield Models, which can include (generic) weathering

I've used Adams graphics on a 43 and a 91 and both (to me) look very good, I can see where you are coming from for the locos, with something like a 66 you would just lose all detail, and I am sure Adam has said the same in another thread or on his website.  I think the Electra graphics are perfect for the older gra far coaches and dmu/emu's.  I am also sure they would be much cheaper than commissioning a repaint.

TheEdge

If my intention goes ahead I'm after a late BR early privatisation period in the south west. Now the various version of early Great Western are not particularly well produced. So lots of Mk3 and Mk2s with vinyls (which all agree is decent) but hopefully also full HST sets and 47s in various liveries which will also need vinyl.

Is this maybe not a practical idea?

njee20

Everyone has different standards, vinyls can look great certainly, but you'll lose a lot of detail on something like an HST which has a lot of relief in the grilles etc.

I'd consider getting some Dapol power cars resprayed, you can use with Swallow mk3s entirely prototypically. Or it would be a pretty easy respray to do Merlin liveried coaches. Great livery, incidentally!

jacowin80

The suitable mk2's and mk3's seem to be getting very hard to get hold of so that may be a worry to you. (unless you have a stock, or know where to get).  I don't have a class 47 but by what I have seen the models without much side details eg grilles etc seem to look ok.  I am looking at class 90's at the moment as i'm sure Adam does something for them and also have a class 350 i'm wanting to put the new trans pennine graphics on.

rusticged

Hi

Not the era you are planning, but there are a couple of examples of HSTs with vinyls on the latest video of my layout. One in East Coast livery and one in Virgin Trains East Coast livery.
You can carefully cut the vinyls so that you do not overlay the grilles and, in that way, preserve some of the detail.
This is the link to the video if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htZcHzlDAIA

cheers,
Ged.
Rusticged

Layout: 'Leefield & Ashpeth'
Modelling Freelance British outline from the 1960s to the Present day.

Cape Town Trev

I have a number of Grafar HST sets. I get Chris of CJM to put in his Saturn chassis.

I did start using Adam's vinyls for an ECML but I messed up the loco. Fortunately I had not put a Saturn chassis on  :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations