PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR BREAKS COVER

Started by acko22, September 11, 2016, 08:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alibuchan

That looks very smart. Keep up the good work.

Alistair

Mustermark

This is an amazing project. Congratulations on getting it off the ground. I will be supporting it; such a worthy cause. And hopefully you manage to complete the set of three - good luck.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

dannyboy

As 'Mustermark' said - "an amazing project". Count me in for at least one of the models and hopefully all three.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

dannyboy

I am not sure if it has already been mentioned, but there is a small piece about this on page 7 of the October issue of 'Model Rail'.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

acko22

I have already had the piece read to me so I will be picking it up on my way to the next meeting for the project tomorrow (I never thought I would have to go to so many meetings!)

It is also on page 92 of the current issue of BRM, and will be in some more mags as the month goes on.

I just want to say thanks to everyone for all the support you have shown for this project.
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

acko22

Hi everyone,

Ok an update on the project before things slow down a little for the day job to take hold even more than normal!

I am very pleased to be able to announce that Freightliner Class 66 locomotive 66418 will be named PATRIOT at a special ceremony on the 11th November.

The nameplates are as we speak been produced and are very purposefully reminiscent of the plates carried by the original LNWR PATRIOT nameplates carried by Claughton Class which was numbered 1914.

There are a few alterations to the nameplate but the design will for the most part remain the same.

If any of you are at the Dapol collectors club open day next weekend, and want to know more I will be there so don't be shy come and say hello and ask away I will be more than happy to chat and answer as many questions as I can.

Regards

Gareth

www.projectrailwayhonour.com
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Mustermark

Hi Gareth,
That looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it in model form...
Do you know yet if the nameplates on the model will be brass or printed?
I am hoping brass! They would definitely we worth the extra.
Mark

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Neonoodle

As a ex reg cav (light dragoons) soldier and now reservist I this is a fantastic idea and will most certainly getting my hands on at least one of them.

This is a brilliant idea and hands off for making it happen.

Neil

acko22

Hi All,

I had an interesting day at Dapol on Saturday meeting some of you who were there and well my horrific speech (Trying not to swear when your in the army is difficult!)

The project for "Patriot" has had a minor set back we were hoping to have the models ready for Warley but due to unforeseen issues they have missed their production slot. Although the plan is still to go live with the sales at the opening of Warley and have a Sample there so everyone to see and online for those that wont be there.

We are now working very hard to get the issues that have pushed the production back sorted and get them out as soon as possible to all those that purchase one. While it is a set back for the project and for me personally these things happen and the way I look at it is that going from the real thing to an actual model in such a sort time frame is still an achievement.

I am hoping to have some pictures very soon of the real nameplates which will go online in due course

robert shrives

Rats on the delays, use some of your day job skills to wake them up and get into action !
I know it will be worth it and look forward to update at NEC...
regards
Robert 

Ben A

Hi Gareth,

Delays are inevitable in any project like this.

The most important thing is to keep your customers informed and reassured, which you've done, so no problem.

Cheers

Ben A.

acko22

Hi all,

Ok well time for another update after another rounds of meetings today, and things are getting real now it seems like only 2 years ago I got the idea (one of the few good ones I get).
Today it was all about the actual naming, sadly all the naming will be private due to constraints placed upon us although there will be a chance to see the loco on the day of the naming for those that want to see it up close and personal, details will come out closer to the time although it will be a close thing again this is due to a number of constraints placed on us especially with the military aspect of things. I am sure you will all understand this and we will do what we can to get this info out to you in a timely manner.

Ok as Robert puts it use my military position to encourage those people to speed up production, well sadly no can do now it is what it is but I should have a sample Model at Warley where I am been kindly hosted on the Revolution / Rapido stand.

Now on to the juicy bit for today I have received a picture of the wooden plaques to be used in the nameplate making process and I love it and it really does make it real:

It really goes back to the original PATRIOT name plate and personally I cant wait to see there plate come from wooded plaques through the process and into actual cast plates! Its getting exciting but also terrifying the best way I can think of it is like a swan calm and graceful on top but under the surface kicking like hell!!

alibuchan

Doing a good job. Plates look very good.

An wat to see it at Warley and get my hands on the models when they arrive.

Alistair

acko22

Hi All,

Something that I thought I would share with you all as this is one of the key things that made me really want to go ahead with this project it is the story of a railway man who left his protected trade working for LNWR to face the horror of the trenches.

This is an extract from the London Gazette on the 27th November 1918:

No. 59812 Pte. Wilfred Wood, 10th Bn., Northumberland Fus (Stockport)
for the most conspicuous bravery and initiative on 28th October, 1918 , near Casa Vin, Italy when a unit on the right flank having been held up by hostile machine gun guns and snipers, Pte. Wood, on his own initiative, worked forward with his Lewis gun, enfiladed the enemy machine gun-nest, and caused 140 enemy to surrender.
The advance was continued till a hidden machine gun opened fire at point blank range. without a moments hesitation Pte. Wood charged the machine gun, firing his Lewis gun from the hip at the same time. He killed the machine gun crew, and without further orders pushed on and enfiladed a ditch from which three officers and 160 men subsequently surrendered.
The conspicuous valour and initiative of this gallant soldier in the face of intense rifle and machine-gun fire was beyond all praise

For his brave actions Pte Wilfred Woods was awarded the Victoria Cross and was one of 3 members of the LNWR to be awarded the VC with a Claughton class locomotive named after him and when they were rebuilt as the PATRIOT class his name was carried over by what became LMS.

He continued to work on the railway until his retirement in 1960 as a Supervisor at Longsight shed, he passed away on the 3rd January 1982 at his home in Hazel grove, the name plate to the Patriot class locomotive can be found at   Regimental Museum of The Northumberland Fusiliers at Alnwick Castle in Northumberland where a brass name plate from 'Patriot' number 5536/45536 bears his name.

The reason this hits home for me personally is that Pte Woods joined the army at the same place I did the Armory at Stockport, and before been transferred to the Northumberland Fus he joined the Cheshire regiment the same regiment I joined.

This man was lucky to survive the war unlike the 20,000 railway employees who never came home, but his bravery is a glowing example of all of their bravery choosing to fight when they had a get out clause!

Ben A

Hi Gareth,

That's a fantastic story, thanks for posting.

Cheers

Ben A.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations