Mainline steam / charter train coaches in 1980s and 90s

Started by bluedepot, January 20, 2018, 01:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

hi

what coaches were used pre privatisation and back into the 80s for mainline steam charter trains?

was it always just blue and grey or intercity livery coaches used in england?  were coaches painted in any heritage liveries to be used back then?

Tim

Adam1701D

Hi Tim

There were a couple of private charter rakes doing the rounds in the late 1980s, the Pilkington Mk1 set in a rather alarming green and orange livery and also a "Pullman Rail" maroon Mk1 set that saw use in the Intercity celebrations in 1987.

Intercity took over the West Highland Mk1 set in green and cream, which saw general charter use off-season and also appeared frequently on the newly electrified ECML on relief services.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Intercity

Wasn't there also an all green rake based at Bounds Green, I'm sure I recall seeing engines allocated to a BN set for charters on TOPS.

bluedepot

ok cheers for the fast replies

i think the pilkington rake must have been what i've seen in videos with city of truro, duchess of hamilton and other locos.

anyway i'm not too worried about being fully accurate i just wanted to check what livery coaches were used so i can at least get that bit right.

i'll keep looking around on youtube at videos anyway for 'research'/entertainment

cheers

tim

The Q

As a member of the srps,  I seem to recall that carriages as they were restored were put into their original colours. Not surprisingly the for railtours use, they were mostly br mk1, but not entirely. IIRC a LNER teak painted restaurant car recently restored into teak being borrowed back by BR for some reason..
Hopefully this link will show you a changing Range of  pictures  of our tours
http://www.srps.org.uk/railtours/

Steven B

The Steam Locomotive Operator's Association (SLOA) had a rake of Mk1 Pullmans. They were mostly Parlor Seconds with one second kitchen. Brake vehicles were BSK, in either blue n grey or Pullman cream and umber. Standard Mk1s would be used to make the train longer if needed.

Steven B.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations