what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apsheehan

Just finished screening of my fiddle yard with a brick retaining wall incorporating several tunnel/bridge mouths and an inset warehouse.

Dock Shunter

Quote from: apsheehan on May 23, 2012, 07:37:01 PM
Just finished screening of my fiddle yard with a brick retaining wall incorporating several tunnel/bridge mouths and an inset warehouse.

Sounds very interesting......any  :camera:.....  :thumbsup:

Oldman

Cursing at the nightmare that is my Scalescenes warehouse kit.
Find it easier to build etched brass kits that this building.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

apsheehan

Quote from: Oldman on May 23, 2012, 10:39:00 PM

My "Inset Warehouse" is essentially the scalescenes kit I too struggled with. Rather than Low relief its essentially "No relief" now, stuck to the dividing wall!!

EtchedPixels

The warehouse is a pig if cutting by hand. A lot of the other kits are much much simpler to build so don't judge them all by that one.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Oldman

Alan, you have hit the nail on the head.
Love the others I have built but think I might stick to other manufacturers for my larger buildings.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Pengi

I made up this kit in OO and it took ages. Cutting the windows in OO by hand was bad enough . . .

As EP said, most of the other kits are much easier to build. I did suggest that Scalescenes put a grading on the kits in terms of completion time (or degree of difficulty) as I probably wouldn't have bought it if I had known how much time it took to do.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Oldman

Just got to the glazing section.
Think I may just use wooden supports inside  and forget about the interior.

Jerry Howlett

I did the full interior and then realised you can't see it !!!
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

longbridge

Finally got to the stage where I can start scratch building a few structures, a long time coming but worth the wait.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

tadpole

Two rails good. Three better.

Donkey

Motorising my Peco turntable. After much indecision I decided to control the turntable with my nce powercab. Got a cheap wired Bachman loco chip from local model shop on Saturday to do this. Started the project today and realised the Bachman chip will not let you program cv5 and cv6. Anyhoo, took chip back to the shop and asked to exchange it. The owner was happy to do so and suggested the new TrainSave chip which can accomodate changes to cv5 & 6. Although it is for 00 gauge and is fitted with an 8 pin socket it is fine for the turntable. It is running great and best of all as it was only £11.50 I got a £4.50 refund  ;D. As others on here have said, Frizinghall kit runs a bit slowly and is noisy. Tomorrow I intend tinkering with the gearing and trying to quieten it down by packing a bit of grease into the gearbox. If all goes well Tornado and her friends will be playing on their new carousel tomorrow night  :smiley-laughing:

Marty

RichardBattersby

Quote from: Donkey on May 24, 2012, 07:53:36 PM
Motorising my Peco turntable. After much indecision I decided to control the turntable with my nce powercab. Got a cheap wired Bachman loco chip from local model shop on Saturday to do this. Started the project today and realised the Bachman chip will not let you program cv5 and cv6. Anyhoo, took chip back to the shop and asked to exchange it. The owner was happy to do so and suggested the new TrainSave chip which can accomodate changes to cv5 & 6. Although it is for 00 gauge and is fitted with an 8 pin socket it is fine for the turntable. It is running great and best of all as it was only £11.50 I got a £4.50 refund  ;D. As others on here have said, Frizinghall kit runs a bit slowly and is noisy. Tomorrow I intend tinkering with the gearing and trying to quieten it down by packing a bit of grease into the gearbox. If all goes well Tornado and her friends will be playing on their new carousel tomorrow night  :smiley-laughing:

Marty

Hi Marty, could I be really cheeky and ask you to start a new thread and post how you've done this, maybe with a pic or two? I'm sure others would be interersted but the main reason I ask is out selfishness. I too have a Peco turntable, which is motorised and worked fine under DC, but I've converted to DCC and I have no idea how to convert it and even though it's still on 16v AC with the point motors it now doesn't work now so I'd love to know how you did it! It's the last bit I need to crack. No offense taken if you tell me where to go!  ;)
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Newportnobby

Get thee to the roundhouse, Richard.
Seriously, it's a very good question and hopefully Marty will do the biz for us.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations