what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jameswgm

Hopefully finishing the two main circuits this weekend so I can run some stock. I'm pinning the flexi which is allowing good accuracy on the curves but takes ages. Especially when the rail starts moving creating a massive gap at the join!

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Jameswgm on March 16, 2014, 10:19:57 AM
Hopefully finishing the two main circuits this weekend so I can run some stock. I'm pinning the flexi which is allowing good accuracy on the curves but takes ages. Especially when the rail starts moving creating a massive gap at the join!

Just a suggestion, but being faced with the same problem of making tight curves (all "off stage") with flexible track I got around it by using 3rd and 4th radius Peco Set track. Although it is Code 80, and the flexi track is Code 55, it gave no problems when joining or running over the joints.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

port perran

Quote from: newportnobby on March 15, 2014, 09:47:05 PM
Look forward to seeing the pics :D

Will post  some pics once Port Perran station has been rebuilt.  That's my next project !
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

texhorse

Well, that's the track bus wiring pinned up, ready for conversion of the layout to DCC.  I'm doing preparation jobs ready for the big day at the moment, and continuing to run on DC until I get the Powercab.  Next job is to change all the frog fishplates from metal to plastic, to stop short circuits.

I've got 44 US locos, and only nine have decoders right now, so it's going to be a steady change over.  I think it's worth it though.

Andy
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

port perran

Hooray !!!! :claphappy: :claphappy:
For the first time in 11 weeks I've been able to run some trains this evening having electrified my points and added some street/building lighting.
It was good to see some trains running again. Just a couple of problems to be rectified next week :
a) One point motor needs a little adjustment in position as it doesn't quite shut the blades completely.
b) On 3 or 4 points, I've left the point motor rod a little too proud and they catch some locos/stock (but not all).
Other than that, I'm rather pleased and it was so good to be able to run trains in succession without having to get up every two minutes to switch the points over manually.  Also, good to run trains with only street lighting for illumination.
Adding point motors was a big and at times very frustrating and difficult task (not to mention the huge learning curve for me) but, I think, well worth the effort and time (and......at no small cost I might add!).
Next it's on to the redevelopment of Port Perran station area and the installation of more street/building and yard lights.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: texhorse on March 16, 2014, 05:27:02 PM
Well, that's the track bus wiring pinned up

Andy

Ah, the "bus" in question is a model of the infamous "rail replacement vehicle", I presume.  :)   Well, it is a Sunday! ;)
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Tdm

Have been fairly busy the last few weeks making additions & improvements to my relatively new small & simple layout. Apart from adding new rolling stock, sent for and assembled a few lineside kits, and made some items from odd bits & pieces.

Decided to add a small higher level branch line to the layout to accommodate the “Kibri” bridge just acquired (which I coudn't resist as it looks good & reminds me of the Widnes/Runcorn bridge when I lived in the area).

Will need to order some flexitrack for the new branch line, but in the meantime below is a Link to some photos just taken of what I have been assembling & running. My own  building skills are a bit amateurish I know, but I simply haven't got the patience for complicated structures & layouts, and I do like to see trains continuously running.

Recent rolling stock new additions are :– 4 Gressley teak coaches (still awaiting delivery), Class 31 in yellow, WD Austerity, and 3 car DMU in blue.

Recent trackside new additions :– 2 gantry cranes over track, Kibri bridge, signals, buffers, culverts, etc.

My layout is now called the “Anglezarke and Belmont Railway” after two lovely rural hamlets close to where I once lived in central Lancashire, including nearby Rivington.

Hopefully below (shortly) there will be a Link to a Picasa slideshow showing the above (very slow Internet at moment).

YouTube Link -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe4efC53_ZA

Photobucket Link - http://s379.photobucket.com/user/Tdmak/media/Model%20Railway/2014-03-16.mp4.html

Jameswgm

Quote from: Tdm on March 16, 2014, 08:28:16 PM
Hopefully below is a Link to a Picasa slideshow showing the above.

C:\Users\TDM\Pictures\Picasa\Videos\2014-03-16.wmv

That's the location on your computer, easiest thing I'd suggest is to upload it to Youtube?

Tdm

With regards my earlier "missing/wrong" Link am currently both uploading to YouTube and Photobucket but having problems with the Internet on Tenerife at the moment - it's running terribly slow. Will amend my post as soon as one of the uploads finishes. 

Tdm

As regards my post #1261- correct YouTube & Photobucket Links have now been inserted.

ColinH

Pics have made it to Youtube. Looking really good.
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

Jameswgm

First layout issues have arisen, made the gauge to tight on the curves and will have to relay the outer to avoid head on smashes. Anyone have an idea what the spacing between parallel tracks has got to be to accommodate intermodal wagons, I've only got MK3/4s to test atm?

daveg

You may find this link helpful, James, as it give the dimensions of the intermodel wagon.

http://www.ehattons.com/26749/Graham_Farish_377_351A_Intermodal_Bogie_Wagons_With_Two_45ft_Containers_Axis_/StockDetail.aspx

You perhaps mock up something so you can check for clearance. Looks like they're just a bit longer than a MK 1 coach.

I'm sure you'll get good advice regarding track spacing/curve radius very shortly.

Dave G

MattJ

Just before starting to lay down the sidings & loco depot, I have completeley revised how I'm going to do it....  Now a couple of points that I have are the wrong way round from what I need!   :hmmm:
They're there for their tea.

Bealman

Don't worry - they'll come in handy somewhere.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations