what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: DCCDave on March 09, 2014, 04:00:41 PM
Trying my hand at some natural light photography:

A3  60045 Lemberg waits in the loop at Cruikglen.

Cheers
Dave

That's a good looking layout, Dave.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

texhorse

Today, as I couldn't sleep, I went down to the shed at 5.10am and painted dots on all the fuel tanks of my locos to identify them, should any of them be taken to an exhibition layout in the near future....!!!

:smiley-laughing:

Andy
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

silverfox

Not a lot at the moment....progress on the three layouts I've got on the go has been unexpectedly curtailed by Mrs silverfox unfortunately breaking her arm  :ouch:.......thankfully only in one place....so I've told her not to go back to that place!........yeah I know, I can't claim that one, It's Tommy Cooper's :D

Six weeks in a sling and hopefully she'll be right as rain and back to wondering why there's solder on the worktops again and I'll be nursing dishpan hands and housemaids knee! ;)

D1042 Western Princess

Sorry to learn that your wife has broken her arm. Hope she gets better soon.

bees

Hi All,

This morning I have been fitting Scharfenberg couplers to my Second Generation DMU's so that all three I have can run with my dummy 158
[smg id=10901]

The biggest issue has been fitting them to a 150 which has a different coupling pocket to the 155 & 158, the 156 has it fitted as standard by dapol!

[smg id=10902]

The coupling has only been fitted to one end for now so that I can test it when it's dry for going round corners!
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

bees

Quote from: bees on March 13, 2014, 10:59:22 AM
Hi All,

This morning I have been fitting Scharfenberg couplers to my Second Generation DMU's so that all three I have can run with my dummy 158
[smg id=10901]

The biggest issue has been fitting them to a 150 which has a different coupling pocket to the 155 & 158, the 156 has it fitted as standard by dapol!

[smg id=10902]

The coupling has only been fitted to one end for now so that I can test it when it's dry for going round corners!

Works perfectly, so the coupling has been fitted to the other end too.

Fettled a curve on my layout too, it kept derailing the inner bogie on my 101's and the 150's trailing vehicle.

Productive day, happy days

Steven
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

johnlambert

Working on a small Perspex 'wall' for the front of my layout to reduce the risk of stock falling off the front.  I'll also add some plywood sides to protect the Celotex on the front corners of my layout and maybe look at some sort of protection to stop stock falling off at the back of the layout too!

port perran

I now have 19 point motors working perfectly and installed my first street lights (and some interior building lights) which look really good. Just re-connected my fiddle yard and tomorrow will be adding all the stock so I can run my first trains since just after Christmas.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Quote from: port perran on March 15, 2014, 09:32:11 PM
I now have 19 point motors working perfectly and installed my first street lights (and some interior building lights) which look really good. Just re-connected my fiddle yard and tomorrow will be adding all the stock so I can run my first trains since just after Christmas.

Look forward to seeing the pics :D

texhorse

Quote from: johnlambert on March 15, 2014, 06:01:48 PM
Working on a small Perspex 'wall' for the front of my layout to reduce the risk of stock falling off the front.  I'll also add some plywood sides to protect the Celotex on the front corners of my layout and maybe look at some sort of protection to stop stock falling off at the back of the layout too!

Very wise indeed John.  I think at one time or another, most of us learn the hard way about locos taking the dreaded 200 feet scale drop to the floor and its outcome.  As for the back of the layout, I stuffed newspaper down the back and landscaped over the top.

Andy
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

texhorse

As for me, I have stripped some electrical cable into the live and neutral wires, and used them to put up a DCC bus wire under my layout.  I don't have DCC yet, I'm just preparing for the inevitable....

Andy
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

johnlambert

Quote from: texhorse on March 15, 2014, 11:09:50 PM
Quote from: johnlambert on March 15, 2014, 06:01:48 PM

Very wise indeed John.  I think at one time or another, most of us learn the hard way about locos taking the dreaded 200 feet scale drop to the floor and its outcome.  As for the back of the layout, I stuffed newspaper down the back and landscaped over the top.

Andy

Cheers Andy.  My layout is only small and free-standing/portable so I can get to all sides.  The back is a cross between a fiddle yard and motive power depot with some improvised wire operated points.  I'll probably use more plywood to make a back wall with cut-outs to clear the point rodding.  One of the many lessons learned from this layout is not to put track so close to the edge of the board!

mr magnolia

I've finally got around to making up a county rolling stock tin roof shed that I've had lying around for ages:
http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/mrmagnolia/Snapbucket/?action=view&current=D6A10F65-orig_zps2afbbc3a.jpg

I definitely need much smaller hands...

Komata

Only cos' you asked:

As it's Sunday afternoon in New Zealand, and available railway traffic is light, the Tickford Valley Railway Co. (London) Ltd. (TVR)'s, Kereru (Care-rare-roo) branch line is playing host to TVR No.4 , a 2-10-0, hauling a  16-crossing-total  goods train from Koha (co-hah) Junction to Kereru Consolidated Wolfram Ltd.'s mine at  Kereru.  Train No. is 23RR.

Locomotive No.4 had recently arrived at Koha Jctn from Tickford with another service (TVR Train No.7RR) and  the Loco Foreman apparently saw little point in letting it cool-off and lighting-up another locomotive to do the mine-re-supply  run.

As the 'Branch base board measures only 7ft x 2 ft 6 in, (to quote one Greenslade, W): 'It's all in the mind you know...'

As I said, only 'cos you asked,

"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

D1042 Western Princess

Today I hope to finish building the road network, and begin the landscaping work in the Peltin Down stabling point area. Last night I put the finishing touches to a fuel storage tank and a retaining wall around it.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations