what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: silverfox on February 07, 2014, 07:53:39 PM
Is there no possibility of chopping the bottom of the girder sections away and mounting them on wider piers?

Thankyou I will consider that option tomorrow

Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

daveg

Must say I agree with not making a 'hasty' decision.

Hopefully you can see a way out but how about posting a pic or two of the problem area to see if our clever lot can offer a solution?

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Dave G

REGP

Peter
Sleep on it for a few days having posted a few more photos of the problem and see if someone can come up with a better suggestion.

Ray

petercharlesfagg

My thanks to everyone for their concern but I spent the best part of 2 hours contemplating just what I could do and the ONLY way is to reduce height and therefore the extent to which the Woodland Scenics inclines reach.

It is the ONLY way, I know that, but it is just hard to accept the fact that I have cocked it up again!

Warmest regards, Peter.

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

ParkeNd

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on February 07, 2014, 10:19:33 PM
My thanks to everyone for their concern but I spent the best part of 2 hours contemplating just what I could do and the ONLY way is to reduce height and therefore the extent to which the Woodland Scenics inclines reach.

It is the ONLY way, I know that, but it is just hard to accept the fact that I have cocked it up again!

Warmest regards, Peter.

Thinking about it for 2 hours is not much different from a snap decision. Spend a couple of days doing something else if necessary.

ACT IN HASTE - REPENT AT LEISURE.

Greybeema

Peter,

Is there the option of raising the other track rather than lowering the route? It might be easier.  There are always options even if it turns out to be an off stage cassette system.  Like the others on this forum - I would suggest, leave it for a while and think it through...  An option will be there - it just hasn't occurred to you yet...

:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on February 07, 2014, 07:07:16 PM
Friends,

The thread is what am I doing right now on my layout?

Well, I have had to make the decision to reduce the maximum height of my elevated track from 4 inches to 2 inches!

Why, because I cannot marry up a connection between the 2 inclines up/down because the ends are too close together!

Therefore it will mean dismantling 80% of the work that I have been trying so hard to achieve!   :'(

Regards, Peter.

To continue and possibly assist others in understanding my quandary!

As can be seen in this picture the end of the preceding piece of incline is to the far Left, the next section is 24" inches in length and would end up under the junction.  Originally I had laid every thing down and it only meant that there was a straight section in the transition section between a point and the incline.

Removing the 90 degree crossovers (Because my Fleischmann loco's didn't like them!) and reconfiguring another crossover, meant that either a point or the new crossover was half on/off the incline which made matters worse!  The point is up in the air as can be seen because I was persevering with my original plan but nothing would negotiate the point without derailing!

I cannot make the incline bend enough to accomodate because where the pile of track is lying is the edge of the baseboard.

I KNOW I should have made a plan but my brain doesn't work like that!

Warmest regards Peter.

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

What I am dong on my layout right now is improving my crossover section so that I can either continue with my trains running around the same track over and over or reverse their direction in my return loop so that I can enjoy them going the other way, hopefully!

Reverse loop at the bottom, incoming lower level at the Right hand side or down the incline at the back?

Regards, Peter.

Jerry Howlett

I go with the take a break option, I just worked on a solution for you and then realised I was trying to get rid of the wrong point!!

I'm still trying to finish the bridges that I have installed having hastily ripped out the lift out section 6 months ago.

Rest and recupriate.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

texhorse

Today, while trying to secure the shed door against the high winds which persist in blowing it open, I changed the couplers on my Kato GP38-2 from Rapidos to Microtrains couplers, and put a Digitrax decoder in a BNSF SD70ACe.  Both jobs were easier than I thought they would be.

Andy
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

4x2

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on February 08, 2014, 11:41:41 AM
Friends,

What I am dong on my layout right now is improving my crossover section so that I can either continue with my trains running around the same track over and over or reverse their direction in my return loop so that I can enjoy them going the other way, hopefully!

Reverse loop at the bottom, incoming lower level at the Right hand side or down the incline at the back?

Regards, Peter.
Great looking junction there Peter !  :thumbsup: Wish I had the space for junctions like that.... :(
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

ParkeNd

Take the recommended break for a couple of days. If you can't stay away from the layout maybe cleaning the environs up a bit would let the dog see the rabbit.

GeeBee

Stating to connect up the points on the outer 2 tracks and adding extra power leads where necessary, it's taking a whole lot longer now than it would have done 2 years ago, will try to post some photo's in the next week or so

daveg

Just made the time to test the new WD that arrived yesterdayl.

Same as my weathered version, beautifully smooth running and so-o quiet!

Now packed away till after the move, planned for later this year.

How I miss playing running trains!  :(

Dave G

NeMo

This weekend I have been mostly doing weathering. After having enjoyed D1059's recent photos of his City Basin Goods layout, I plucked up the courage to have a go at my D6300. Used a mix of Tamiya weathering powders, a little Modelmates rust effect, then a coat of matt varnish, and finally a spray of tan on the underframes and black around the exhaust.

I was aiming for the streaky faded-blue finish that seemed to plague any of the locos allocated to Laira. The photo makes the model look a bit dusty; it doesn't look nearly so bad in the flesh!

Cheers, NeMo

(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations