what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodger112958

Don't have a layout yet :'( so trying my hand at a small diorama to use for photographing my locos (er one at the moment) and rolling stock. Just put on the strips of kitchen roll with a pva/water mix. Not done anything like this before so will see how it dries.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Newportnobby

Quote from: dodger112958 on April 04, 2013, 08:11:10 PM
Don't have a layout yet :'( so trying my hand at a small diorama to use for photographing my locos (er one at the moment) and rolling stock. Just put on the strips of kitchen roll with a pva/water mix. Not done anything like this before so will see how it dries.

I don't know what you're using for formers, Dodger, but I have previously soaked full sheets of kitchen roll in a thinned down mix of a well known Filla and that dried to a good tough shell :thumbsup:

dodger112958

Quote from: newportnobby on April 04, 2013, 08:19:22 PM
Quote from: dodger112958 on April 04, 2013, 08:11:10 PM

I don't know what you're using for formers, Dodger, but I have previously soaked full sheets of kitchen roll in a thinned down mix of a well known Filla and that dried to a good tough shell :thumbsup:

Just a few bits of balsa wood for base, back wall and formers. Looks ok but will probably need a little more kitchen roll and pva/water mix as it is a bit thin. Next time though I will squeeze out the paper towel strips a bit more, what a blooming mess! :doh:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Oldman

Going insane cutting out 52 arches to laminate into stacks of 4 for my brick kiln.

All the other parts are cut out and laminated but sitting under volumes of that well known encylopedia to dry.

Next nightmare will be covering all the parts with their respective cover layers.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Alex

Building an incline using Woodland Scenics incline kit. Looks ok, just need to cover it all with plaster bandage.

Alex :wave:

Sprintex

Quote from: Sprintex on March 31, 2013, 10:27:09 PM
Still adding varying shades of 'turf' in different areas, and today I made my bug-zapper-based static grass applicator, haven't tried it out yet though  ;)

Still more turf added (sod of a job, geddit? ;) ) plus static-grassing using bug-zapper job. Wait till tomorrow for glue to dry now before hoovering off the excess and seeing what a total fu mess I've made of it!  ;D

Paul

Greybeema

Adding a super elevated track bed before the track laying can start..
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

longbridge

On my new layout, lifting all my track again to make way for a new American Tram/Trolley layout.

I had layed the track for another railway but with some encouragement from SWMBO decided a Tram layout would be more fun, still have my other layout to run trains.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: Oldman on April 14, 2013, 12:58:42 PM
Going insane cutting out 52 arches to laminate into stacks of 4 for my brick kiln.

All the other parts are cut out and laminated but sitting under volumes of that well known encylopedia to dry.

Next nightmare will be covering all the parts with their respective cover layers.

Mike don't forget that it may be wise to colour in the card around the edges as I have found that on the Power Station the folds for openings leave TINY gaps.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Luke Piewalker

I'm currently building an overy-undery incliny layout with spectacularly tight curves.
The question is, will any of my engines actually get round them....

daveg

Quote from: Luke Piewalker on April 18, 2013, 04:39:15 PM
I'm currently building an overy-undery incliny layout with spectacularly tight curves.
The question is, will any of my engines actually get round them....

:hmmm: Very interesting!

How about letting us have a peek at the track plan?

Dave G

Luke Piewalker

It's a somewhat organic plan at the moment....  :doh:
As in.... there isn't really a plan....  :uneasy:
But I'll try and knock something together to give you an idea...  :hmmm:

Luke Piewalker

If it worked, that should be a rough image (very rough, I'm not very good with the CAD program). The incline (3%) starts at the end of the curve on the top right, then goes up, round the curve to the bridge (beautifully drawn as two thick black lines). It then comes down round the inside of the curve (a bit steeper than 3%) to be back at ground level at the end of that curve (where the points are). It then has a little interest in the way of sidings, before curving round under the bridge and around the end back to the start of the incline.
I'm using streamline for most of it, with the points and sidings being settrack. I think the board is 1200x600 or something along those lines, so a bit (or a lot) tight...
The inclines are made of woodland scenics foamy stuff. The bridge is a short length of wood with a couple of peco girder sides on it.
If I'm feeling particularly keen and the track layout 'works' I might end up cladding the inclines with brick paper.
If nothing else manages it I'm hoping my little blue NCB J94 will get round...

ReBeginner

Me? Doing? Nah ...... just more research and wondering what to start next - also waiting for pal to come and do the DIY thing, extend the base board by 41" - and asking Metcalfe to confirm their PO209 Viaduct kit they say is OO but ideal for N Gauge double track is in fact, suitable - any comment or opinion on this would be very welcome.
Best wishes to all, and thank for the mines of information here, from you all,
Regards
David
Less is more .............. So I'm told!

What do we want?
Hearing Aids
When do we want 'em?
Hearing Aids

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations