"Singles!" Have any Single driver locos ever been made in N?

Started by FourWheelCoach, January 24, 2016, 05:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FourWheelCoach

As my period of interest sinks further into the depths of time I have started to take an interest in teh 19thC Single locomotives, i.e. those with a single driving axle.  The Dean Singles used by the GWR and the famous Caledonian No.123 are perhaps the best known. There were many more though.

Have any ever been made in N?

Most N steam locos are Post-Grouping, in fact a list of Pre-Grouping designs in general would be quite useful. Most would be ones that had survived into post-1923 service I suspect. A Midland Fowler or two....?

Coming back to the Singles, here are a couple of examples:

Good list of locos here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rolling_stock_items_in_the_UK_National_Collection#Standard_gauge_designs_1870_to_1899

So, anybody ever seen an N gauge Single?

NeMo

Quote from: FourWheelCoach on January 24, 2016, 05:16:09 PM
Have any ever been made in N?

Yes. Minitrix made a version of the 2-2-2 'Der Adler' some years ago. The motor was in a carriage, so the locomotive itself was commendably elegant and petite!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

PostModN66

"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

CarriageShed

FourWheel, if you're a member of the N Gauge Society then you can join the Era 1 & 2 Group. They have a list of just about all pre-Grouping locos that have been produced, plus the same for kit locos. There's also a 'gazette' which covers hints and tips, member articles, many photos, and the latest news.

FourWheelCoach

Quote from: thebrighton on January 24, 2016, 09:14:28 PM
And here's a photo of it:

Gareth

That really is rather good! What was your method of construction?

FourWheelCoach

Quote from: Pete33 on January 25, 2016, 01:35:26 PM
FourWheel, if you're a member of the N Gauge Society then you can join the Era 1 & 2 Group. They have a list of just about all pre-Grouping locos that have been produced, plus the same for kit locos. There's also a 'gazette' which covers hints and tips, member articles, many photos, and the latest news.

I'll look into that, thanks!

msr

I have a Highfield Models Spinner which was a Peter Middleton commission comprising a white metal body on an Arnold chassis. It is rather crude by present day standards but a new kit is promised by Two MM Locomotives:
http://www.twommlocomotives.co.uk/TwommLocomotives/Midland_Railway_Locomotive_Kits.html

Our continental friends have two lovely pioneer locos to drool over:
the Minitrix 12709 'Esslingen'
the Arnold-Railex 0249 'Poelnitz'

The del Prado Spinner looks lovely in a siding and will only cost around a tenner on eBay!

thebrighton

Quote from: FourWheelCoach on January 25, 2016, 01:45:27 PM

Hi,
It was scratch built from brass sheet with modified boiler fittings from NBrass.
Gareth

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: FourWheelCoach on January 25, 2016, 01:45:27 PM
Quote from: thebrighton on January 24, 2016, 09:14:28 PM
And here's a photo of it:

Gareth

Understatement of the year! Gareth does some really amazing work. His Single is the physical embodiment of my envy. :P

Singles are uncommon rtr (I'm guessing they are not the easiest to get satisfactory traction and haulage out of without a tender drive, though why they aren't produced with a tender drive motor is beyond me), but there are a number of pre-grouping locomotives available rtr. I'm a big pre-grouping fan as well, so I've looked into this a little bit. :D

The GWR 2301 Class aka Dean Goods 0-6-0 (1883-1899) is being produced by Union Mills presently, who also produce a number of other pre-grouping models (the LSWR Adams 395 Class built 1881-1886, springs to mind, as does the LNWR Prince of Wales class, which is available in LNWR blackberry black livery). There is a thread on here where I posted the latest pricing and availability list for UM, which you can browse and get an idea for (a large number are pregrouping goods locos in various Big Four and BR liveries).

Dapol produce the LBSCR A1(X) Terrier (1872-1880), in several liveries, including LBSCR and they produce the LSWR M7 (1897-1911), though at present it is only in BR and SR liveries (previous batches featured a very attractive LSWR livery but, fair warning, see the M7 threads for the poor performance of this model).

Farish make the N Class in SECR livery and the NER E1/LNER J72 is currently in the pipeline for production (1898-1951), though no NER livery announced :( The Fowler 4F (1924-1941) is essentially a MR design (the MR 3835 Class) but the only pregrouping livery available for it is to join the Bachmann Collectors Club and buy the "4F" in SDJR Prussian blue (the SDJR had five), which squeaks by as I think the 4Fs they acquired were actually in 1922 and thus were MR built 3835s, even if the LMS later classed them as 4Fs. :)

Not thinking of many others currently in production, but I know there are some. I will add more as I think of them.

Hope this is helpful!

Philip
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

CarriageShed

Quote from: N-Gauge-US on January 30, 2016, 02:06:48 PM
Farish make the N Class in SECR livery and the NER E1/LNER J72 is currently in the pipeline for production (1898-1951), though no NER livery announced :( The Fowler 4F (1924-1941) is essentially a MR design (the MR 3835 Class) but the only pregrouping livery available for it is to join the Bachmann Collectors Club and buy the "4F" in SDJR Prussian blue (the SDJR had five), which squeaks by as I think the 4Fs they acquired were actually in 1922 and thus were MR built 3835s, even if the LMS later classed them as 4Fs. :)

Hi Philip

Here's a bit of info from the Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives that might help. The S&DJR 4Fs were superheated MR 4Fs (which were also by Fowler, with some batches produced by Armstrong Whitworth). The S&D's five were delivered in black livery. They never ran in S&DJR blue.

Have you thought about getting the Farish 'Landship Train' pack? That has an MR 4F in Midland lettering and black livery - No 3848 (built 1918).

Peter

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: Pete33 on January 30, 2016, 02:23:13 PM
Quote from: N-Gauge-US on January 30, 2016, 02:06:48 PM

Hi Philip

Here's a bit of info from the Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives that might help. The S&DJR 4Fs were superheated MR 4Fs (which were also by Fowler, with some batches produced by Armstrong Whitworth). The S&D's five were delivered in black livery. They never ran in S&DJR blue.

Have you thought about getting the Farish 'Landship Train' pack? That has an MR 4F in Midland lettering and black livery - No 3848 (built 1918).

Peter

Thanks Peter :)

I did know about them only running in black livery, but that had slipped my mind and is certainly worth mentioning given the topic at hand! The MR 3835 class I mentioned above is just another designation for the MR 4Fs, I think. :) Does your book mention if delivery was in 1922 or 1924? I've seen both and one would make it pregrouping, the other not!

I had forgotten entirely about the Landship train pack! The MR livery certainly makes it appealing and it comes with those lovely tanks....
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

CarriageShed

No problem, Philip.

Even Railway Modeller made the mistake of accepting the blue livery in their review, so it's surprising how many people don't know they were black. The book says delivery was 1922, but you can bet that a few probably didn't enter service until 1923 (or perhaps even 1924). The S&D five were delivered in 1922 though.

The Landship pack also comes with that lovely Deeley tender, and the loco could easily be re-lettered for LMS pre-1927 livery. The number doesn't need to be changed at all.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations