N gauge coal

Started by Newportnobby, May 10, 2018, 10:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Luckily the Leyland Massive have an arrangement with the local plod whereby remittance of Nobby's Nutty Slack is allowed. ;D

scruff

just a thought.. I deliver to the Co Op stores.. and frequently deliver bags of coal. I think there is about 5Kg  :-[ in a bag though, so perfect if you want to do that power station layout! :thumbsup:

Cheers
Mark

Caz

I use the Peco fine real coal in all my sound installs to replace the original plastic coal load http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PEPS-330&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Peco+PS%2D330

Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

ngaugepaul

Hi

I can recommend Atwood Aggregates Welsh Coal Fine which is ideal for N gauge.

Sorry I don't have a web address but do have a contact number 07581119781.

They produce a range of ballast, china clay etc.

Hope this will be of help.

Paul

Newportnobby

@dannyboy
David - the coal has arrived. Thank you very much. My HST is due from Rails tomorrow and I'm not entirely sure where to fit the coal in the damned thing :help:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41406.0

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 17, 2018, 03:41:23 PM
@dannyboy
David - the coal has arrived. Thank you very much. My HST is due from Rails tomorrow and I'm not entirely sure where to fit the coal in the damned thing :help:

Mick you obviously haven't purchased the optional corridor tender version.  !!
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on May 17, 2018, 04:29:42 PM
@dannyboy

Mick you obviously haven't purchased the optional corridor tender version.  !!

The only tender thing at the moment is my wallet, Jerry :'(

d-a-n

I've used some BBQ charcoal crushed - should be plenty about with the weather we've been having!

dodger

@dannyboy

Down the exhaust pipe I should think as they always seem to be burning coal when I see them!

Dodger

Newportnobby

@Caz
@Dr Al
@Atso
@Snowwolflair

Obviously it's an easy task to create wagon loads/filling for coal staithes etc but how do folks go about the coal in loco tenders/bunkers please? Paint PVA over the plastic coal and then add a thin layer of the real stuff? Hack away the plastic coal and substitute real coal for it?
The latter I am loath to do, but as some of the false loads are so full some hacking may have to be done :hmmm:

Snowwolflair

My favorite glue is the clear transparency glue n' glaze.  It is strong but is solvent free and is peel-able if you want rid of it later.

This makes it ideal to add coal to existing molded coal.

Dr Al

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 20, 2018, 02:31:20 PM
@Caz
@Dr Al
@Atso
@Snowwolflair

Obviously it's an easy task to create wagon loads/filling for coal staithes etc but how do folks go about the coal in loco tenders/bunkers please? Paint PVA over the plastic coal and then add a thin layer of the real stuff? Hack away the plastic coal and substitute real coal for it?
The latter I am loath to do, but as some of the false loads are so full some hacking may have to be done :hmmm:

I never use real coal, primarily because it's fairly mucky.

I've always used a tub of Carr's scale coal - one tub will do you for life as it's large! I've done loads of locos and a whole rake of 21/24ton 4 wheel coal wagons.

I do use PVA, as you describe - either in an existing empty bunker, or if the bunker is full to the brim of moulded coal I carefully carve out the coal, fit a white plasticard base (lower down generally), paint that black, then overcoat it with PVA, then the Carrs coal. It pays to vary the loading, some locos quite well filled, others getting down a bit - it adds to the variety and realism.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

broadsword

I had a few chunks of real coal about the size of a golf ball and tried to
make scale coal by putting it in a plastic bag and hitting with a hammer,
ended with a lot of irregular chunks and lots of dust .Now use ballast
painted black.

Newportnobby

As I intend to make the wagon coal loads removeable (just glue a washer underneath and then use a magnet on a stick) I don't mind coal dust as I'll paint the interiors black, apply PVA and then sprinkle the dust/small pieces on top. Vacuum out when dry and all should look good.

Snowwolflair

If you use crushed coal then rinse it in a tea strainer.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations