dumb question but...

Started by 1936ace, August 01, 2015, 12:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1936ace

hi all,
would a small station although still busy with milk goods and coal have had a turntable.
when i put the track down for the branch station it was a end of the line station with only the coal mine beyond the station yard
with the rebuild i was thinking should i have put in  a turntable. i was doing early blue diesels but with the recent happenings i have bought steam locos. the only steam locos i had previously for the branch were ivatt 2m(heritage runs) and the little jinty that still worked the coal mine private track
i think there is room for one
although modelled on no real area its a br western region area
thanks in advance for the advice
bart

JasonBz

Very probably not, unless it was regularly used by largish tender engines is the simple answer.

1936ace

What hope do I have, just realised I spelt the title wrong
:doh:

[mod]Sorted :)[/mod]

Bealman

There are many pictures of relatively small termini with burnturntables  :D

I'd put one in... your terminus is ficticious after all, and a turntable would enhance operational interest.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Jonny

I can't comment on any western region happenings. In pre grouping times the Lancashire and yorkshire railway at holmfirth station (last of the summer wine fame).  installed a 45' turntable as they were not happy running Tender/bunker first on the return leg.
You basically had the table at the end of the track in. Where the loco would turn 180 deg then run around the stock and attach the opposite end.

So it did exist

Hth

Jon
Live each day as if it's your last

As one day you may be right.

Carlisle to Silloth. 1854-1964
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_and_Silloth_Bay_Railway

D1042 Western Princess

Hello Bart, although unlikely, unless set in the steam era, that there would be a turntable in real life these were not unknown in diesel days with the most famous being at Old Oak Common (just outside Paddington), Swindon and St Blazey (near Par) all of which lasted until quite recent times, certainly into the 21st Century .
My answer to you is for strict prototype accuracy I would say that, while most unlikely, it was not impossible, Peco make one and, finally, in this case a rigid application of Rule One would not hurt.

I hope I've helped, rather than confused you further,
Regards, Greg.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Kris

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on August 01, 2015, 06:58:25 AM
Hello Bart, although unlikely, unless set in the steam era, that there would be a turntable in real life these were not unknown in diesel days with the most famous being at Old Oak Common (just outside Paddington), Swindon and St Blazey (near Par) all of which lasted until quite recent times, certainly into the 21st Century .
My answer to you is for strict prototype accuracy I would say that, while most unlikely, it was not impossible, Peco make one and, finally, in this case a rigid application of Rule One would not hurt.

I hope I've helped, rather than confused you further,
Regards, Greg.

St Blazey still has a TT

Jack

Quote from: Kris on August 01, 2015, 08:29:35 AM

St Blazey still has a TT

St Blazey has a turntable.... to look at.

It's been out of commission for a long time and there is a local campaign group trying to save it, but finding someone to cover the cost of bringing it back into service still goes on. The only people that would use it are the Steam Charter companies when venture into Cornwall. The German rail company that owns St Blazey yard are not interested as it servers no purpose for them.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Kris

Quote from: Jack on August 01, 2015, 10:16:04 AM
Quote from: Kris on August 01, 2015, 08:29:35 AM

St Blazey still has a TT

St Blazey has a turntable.... to look at.

It's been out of commission for a long time and there is a local campaign group trying to save it, but finding someone to cover the cost of bringing it back into service still goes on. The only people that would use it are the Steam Charter companies when venture into Cornwall. The German rail company that owns St Blazey yard are not interested as it servers no purpose for them.

It has been used within the last year, and had it not have been for the removal of the charter operators licence would have been use again earlier this year.

JasonBz

St Bz is hardly a BLT though

Jack

Quote from: Kris on August 01, 2015, 11:42:37 AM

It has been used within the last year, and had it not have been for the removal of the charter operators licence would have been use again earlier this year.

My understanding is that it was used last July, at the total risk of the loco owner. Officially it has been declared unsafe and off limits by DB Schenker.

However, we are drifting :offtopicsign: and I'll say no more.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Newportnobby

Don't forget that turntables were also used to turn observation carriages round ;)

d-a-n

Quote from: JasonBz on August 01, 2015, 11:45:52 AM
St Bz is hardly a BLT though

I really want Subway now...

How big a town does this station serve? Minehead is a Western region, single track in, little terminus with a turntable. Put one in as a device for just turning locos without sidings coming off it (like Minehead, which incidentally, you can see from the air on google maps) It won't dominate the layout and you'll still have a lot of fun with it.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations