Viewing Heights for N Gauge

Started by Wingman mothergoose, November 24, 2014, 02:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calnefoxile

Ok I've measured it and the top of the baseboard is just shy of 48" afl (Above Floor Level).

But I might reduce that once the layout is built as it's going to be operated from behind and once the back scene is on, I think that even me @6' 1" might have trouble reaching over or even seeing over the backscene ;-)

At the moment it's at a comfortable height to work on without stooping over.

Regards

Neal

Jack

I have three of these...
[smg id=18976 type=preview align=center caption="P1020135"]
The uprights are 9mm ply while the cross members are 6mm.

The baseboard is 3ft height so as to sit over a set of Ikea drawers..,
[smg id=18977 type=preview align=center caption="P1020132"]
The baseboard doesn't rest on the drawers.

On previous layouts I've only used 2x1 for the legs.

As others have said, the board height and size should be to your comfort. There is an N gauge layout in the latest BRM magazine, Prestatyn, where he has his layout at 4ft 6ins high because it suits him. You can see the layout on RMWeb as to why he has it so high.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Wingman mothergoose

Realised I'd made an error with the legs, the Ikea trestles aren't wide enough! My baseboards are 3 feet wide, and the Ikea trestles in question are 60cm/2 feet wide, so they might not be so stable! Might go for the cheaper option of cutting down my existing legs, and instead of the unstable hinges at the top I think I may well screw them directly to the baseboard frames in the corners, then cross brace and see how sturdy that makes them....

Chris

Newportnobby

Quote from: Wingman mothergoose on November 26, 2014, 06:17:24 PM
Might go for the cheaper option of cutting down my existing legs

Scoop!!!! You heard it here first, folks. A layout with human legs :goggleeyes:

Wingman mothergoose

Will help when I move house!! ;-)

Les1952

My first exhibition layout "Furtwangen Ost" is too low- it sits with its lowest level 35" from the floor and the highest track is 2" above this.  It does pull on the back operating it

Hawthorn Dene is 41" above the floor with a bridge dipping 2" down and a colliery 2" higher.   Much less of a pull on the back, and the use of a pair of IKEA kitchen stools for the operators helps as well.

Wheelchair viewers are catered for on Furtwangen by giving them views into buildings and through arches that taller punters can't see.  On Hawthorn Dene the underbridge gives views upwards into the layout (rare in N) and a wheelchair viewer gets to look under the safety netting of the aerial flight.  Ray Lightfoot took a long time taking a picture that replicates this view- I hope it gets published next year.

All the very best
Les

JasonBz

I just wondered what other peoples ideas on the best view height for the layout was?

I mean for "at home" not "at exhibtions" that one opens a whole new can of worms about access etc etc

I've always thought N is better seen at a higher level, about 4foot6 or thereabouts as a mean track level from the floor

Bealman

Yeah, I'm of the same opinion. My home layout has a mean of 48" above the floor.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Webbo

I too prefer to look at my trains running at something at or a bit below eye level. However, rather than raising my layout, I drop my eyeballs. A favourite vantage point for me is sitting in one of those swivel office chairs with wheels on the bottom that can be winged around from place while seated. My track is an average of around 3' 5" off the floor. It seems to me that a higher layout would make for more challenges when trying to reach across it. But, milk crates come in handy.

Webbo

PLD

Quote from: JasonBz on July 29, 2015, 11:31:37 PM
I just wondered what other peoples ideas on the best view height for the layout was?

I mean for "at home" not "at exhibtions" that one opens a whole new can of worms about access etc etc

I've always thought N is better seen at a higher level, about 4foot6 or thereabouts as a mean track level from the floor
It's your layout so if that's the height you prefer, that is the "correct" height...

Simple!  :D

steve836

My layout (Cromford) is 3'9" above the floor. This allows me to use Ikea doors on the cupboards below and have the river 2" below baseboard height. The two 4'0" wide sections are a bit of a problem, but I keep a set of kitchen steps in the railway room which helps me to reach over when required. I know 4' is really too wide for comfort, but I wanted a folded dog-bone style and didn't want to compromise on a minimum radius of 18".
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Wingman mothergoose on November 24, 2014, 02:50:15 PM
What do you consider the ideal height for a layout? My current layout sits on legs 3 feet long, and I was wondering if this is too high? Or is it down to personal preference?

Chris

Hi Chris, personal preference but the nearer to eye level the better for model railways and I like to try for at least 4 feet, but Peltin Down (my layout) is at only 3'6" because it's built on top of some bookcases; I wasn't given a lot of choice.
I really don't think it matters but think of it this way. Your eyes are (probably around) 5'6" high (or some 750 feet in N scale) so with a layout set at just 3 feet you are looking at it from the top of a huge skyscraper building!
The lower to the 'ground floor' you are on the skyscraper more lifelike the model appears (if you follow) so in an ideal world a baseboard height of around 5.5 feet would be 'perfect' it would, for most of us, also be an impractical height to work on. 
I believe there are no hard and fast rules on this subject but, for what they are worth, these are my thoughts.
Best wishes,
Greg.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Agrippa

Depends on whether you're Ronnie Corbett or John Cleese....
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Newportnobby

Quote from: Agrippa on August 01, 2015, 01:33:38 PM

I know my place ;)

My main layout in the mancave is 45" from floor to track level and is viewed from a freebie gas operated barstool. My secondary layout is being constructed to rest on height adjustable trestles.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Agrippa on August 01, 2015, 01:33:38 PM

Or the late, great Ronnie Barker! :)
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations