Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveg

upnick

Bealman

Must admit I like the colour scheme - very icey!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

1936ace

Quote from: Bealman on July 25, 2013, 12:33:55 AM
Try this:
[smg id=6148 type=preview align=center width=400]
[smg id=6149 type=preview align=center width=400]
Dunno if you can make out the sticker there in the top right hand corner.... bought at a model railway shop in Adelaide, South Australia - A$43.50, which equates to 25.97 British!!

Still, I just loves the six wheels! :thumbsup:
What the! Just goes to show how much we pay for things in Oz. Hobbyco in Sydney charge $65 for the three cattle truck set by farish.
Nice tankers though, looks like I will have to bit the bullet and get some they look so much nicer then the little peco ones.
Bart

Bealman

Yeah, they are streets ahead of the Peco ones.

Thanks for the heads up on the cattle truck set. Will keep that in mind next time I'm in Sydney (which will not be until aftermy up-coming trip to the UK and Europe).  :thumbsup:

George

steam-driven boy

Hi,
Quote from: Bealman on July 27, 2013, 02:50:07 AM
Must admit I like the colour scheme - very icey!
Question is, how far to take the weathering when I get to it  :hmmm:
http://www.krunk.org/~joeshaw/pics/ns/emd-locos/ns3329-6-montg-tunnel-medium.jpg
http://thecrhs.org/Images/NS-3329-CR-6358  :smiley-laughing:
I think I'll just stick with the underframe and a little light dusting on the bodywork  8)

Regards, Gerry.
...being a bear of very little brain...

Bealman

Oh heck, yes. Don't go spoiling that. Anyway the photo of the prototype in your link doesn't look too dirty.  :thumbsup:

bbdave

Love the U.S. locos wish I had room for a U.S. layout

Dave

CarriageShed

Back to the UK ;)  Here are my latest buys, for a forthcoming (honest, it really is forthcoming) Somerset & Dorset layout set in 1930. I've been after both of these for some time, and the LMS Crab is just beautiful (and a bargain, at more than £40 below retail price. Yum!). I need more of the Writhlington wagons, and I think that might take a while.

All the best
Peter

Trev

I've got a black crab, it certainly is a nice model.
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

CarriageShed

Quote from: Trev on July 27, 2013, 10:31:21 AM
I've got a black crab, it certainly is a nice model.

I've seen a few of the black ones about, and also the one with the number on the tender, but I kept missing out on those as the bidding always went too high. This one was a bit of a lucky auction find that few people seemed to notice (it ended at 8.30 on a Sunday morning, which helped no end!).

I can justify a Crab on the S&D as one was tested there in 1927 and they returned in the 1940s. That's close enough for me!

Trev

One thing I've wondered is, did the crabs ever apear in LMS maroon
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

CarriageShed

Quote from: Trev on July 27, 2013, 11:23:02 AM
One thing I've wondered is, did the crabs ever apear in LMS maroon

It's pretty hard to tell just by looking through the predominantly b&w photographs, but this might help (my emboldening and colouring):

"Horwich 2-6-0 No 13064 in red livery was tried over the S&D in November 1927 and the conclusion reached 'That the engine was not capable of keeping time on the banks'... No more 'Crabs' appeared until 1942... apparently they had a good turn of speed."
Somerset & Dorset: Life on the Bath to Bournemouth Line, by Colin G Maggs, Ian Allen 2007.

So they were fast but not especially strong on a heavy incline...

Bealman

Pete33,

The late David Jenkinson would have been proud of ya. Lovely locomotive and livery.  :thumbsup: Ok, Settle & Carlisle, it ain't..... but he loved everything LMS and I'm sure he would have approved.

daveg

Great stuff Pete!

Well done for keeping watch and getting a great deal.  :thumbsup:

Dave G

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77%