Goodbye.. and thanks for the inspiration

Started by grumbeast, August 08, 2017, 02:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbeast

Hi All,

Just wanted to say bye bye.. I'm leaving the forum, some of the conversations I've had lately have made me realise that
I'm not really a people person.

had a long why message planned.. .but on second thoughts I'll just like to say thanks to all the people that have posted really inspirational layouts over the years.

Wishing you all the best of luck

grumbeast

BoxTunnel

Hi Grumbeast,

If this is about the "joke" thread which I read some of and then decided to ignore I would ask you to think again and just ignore the thread.   If it's not about that thread then good luck in all you do in the future and it's a shame to see you leave.

Graham.
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

keithfre

NeMo

Looking at that 'Joke' thread, I totally understand why you're cross.

As a man in my mid 40s, I listen to people in their 60s and 70s and wonder how can they possibly think the way they do. But working with teenagers, I'm reassured by the way that their generation is incredibly inclusive and forgiving. For all their cynicism and celebrity-centric culture, young people can teach their "elders" a great deal about understanding, compassion and what it means to live in the modern, global community.

We're living in an age where what's socially acceptable is changing so rapidly we all, sometimes, feel either besieged or impatient. In my experience it's therefore best to step away from those who are vexatious to the spirit, as Max Ehrmann once wrote, and enjoy the company of those with whom your find common cause. I think there are A LOT of those people here at NGF, and I hope that after a short period of reflection, you'll choose to stay here and continue to contribute in your thoughtful and enthusiastic way.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Bob Tidbury

Dont leave just because of one thread ,I enjoy reading most of the threads but some I just delete without even looking at them for instance I will never go DCC because I have a large collection of old style Farish locos so there is no point in me reading the threads ,I dont read what are you listening to , and foreign layouts dont really interest me so I dont read ALL of those ,BUT THERE ARE LOADS OF HINTS ,AND TIPS AND HOW TO FIX IT THREADS THAT ARE TOO GOOD TO MISS .
So Grumbeast dont just leave us re think and stay .

port perran

I agree with BT. Please don't leave because of something someone said.
I agree that the posts in question are upsetting and really have no place on a forum such as this.
I too read only the threads that interest me and ignore the rest.
Hopefully you will think again.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

scotsoft

@grumbeast

That thread has now been locked, perhaps we left it too long before locking it but quite often if a thread is left, it dies of its own accord. This obviously did not happen in this case and I apologise for that. As moderators we do try our best and regularly there is a lot of discussion happening behind the scenes to try and work out the best way forward that will please the majority of the membership but we do not always decide on the right path. We do try to learn from any misjudgement we have made but it is not always an easy path to travel.

To say you are not a people person is just not true as the threads you have participated in prove. I ask you directly to reconsider your decision to leave, please think it over for a few days before making a final decision.

Cheers John.

javlinfaw7

Please do not leave over that thread ,consider also the fact your reasoned arguments may have shifted some peoples point of view ,the forum would be alot poorer without people like you who are willing to stand up for their principles

RailGooner

Graham, I'd like to echo the sentiments above. I hope you stay. I enjoy your posts and I was looking forward to following developments in the basement of Salmon Arm.

REGP

@grumbeast , I urge to reconsider over the next couple of days, we can't afford  to loose you.
Ray

dannyboy

grumbeast - if you are reading this far down the thread, re-read the post from javlinfaw7 - he makes a very valid point. At the very least, give it a few days thinking time, we can all learn from each other, (and not just about n gauge).  :beers:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Chetcombe

@grumbeast Another request for you to reconsider. I too felt the 'names' thread crossed a line, but unlike you did not have the courage of my conviction to say anything. If your reasons go beyond this one thread, then I fully understand and wish you the very best.
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

ozzie Bill.

Assuming that "the joke thread" referred to is that chain of racist drivel, I am ashamed to admit that I said nothing earlier. I wrote a message regarding it, then wondered if I was being too precious, but seems that perhaps that was not the case.
BTW, whoever inferred that it was a group of 60's and 70's and wondering how we can think the way we do, wow, that surely adds some fuel to the fire. I am certainly over 60 and the reaction I had to that thread was one of dismay, but please do not try to play the ageism card. Plenty of people of all ages, genders, religions, races etc make comments that are wholly inappropriate.
Regards, Bill.

NeMo

Quote from: ozzie Bill. on August 09, 2017, 09:21:41 AM
BTW, whoever inferred that it was a group of 60's and 70's and wondering how we can think the way we do, wow, that surely adds some fuel to the fire. I am certainly over 60 and the reaction I had to that thread was one of dismay, but please do not try to play the ageism card. Plenty of people of all ages, genders, religions, races etc make comments that are wholly inappropriate.

Hi Bill,

That was probably me, contrasting people older than me (I'm 46) with those teenagers I work with. It was indeed a generalisation, and if it caused offence, I apologise without reservation.

My point was merely that the different age groups tend to have different "tolerances" for certain types of behaviour or language. Understanding that helps me, at least, to avoid being offended or outraged when I'm interacting with different age groups to my own.

That said, the most radical and aggressively liberal-minded person I know is a Death Metal rocker in his late 60s!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

ozzie Bill.

@escafeld

"As a man in my mid 40s, I listen to people in their 60s and 70s and wonder"

Not about you at all! Bill.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP