K-Type Pullmans

Started by Stuart Down Under, January 13, 2018, 12:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Down Under

Has anyone worked out how to produce K-type 1928 Pullman cars? I would like to recreate the Master Cutler Pullman. Graham Farish have very kindly produced the Mk1 Parlour and Kitchen cars, but this train was topped and tailed with K-Type brake 2nds. I believe that this was typical of other East Coast Pullman trains of the 1960s. BH do show a kit in their catalogue, but they have never replied to my e-mails, so I assume that they are not currently in production.
:helpneededsign:

Snowwolflair

K's changed in 1931/2 from wood side to steel side.  The most noticeable characteristic was the stepped roofs at the ends of the wooden earlier designs.

Early Farish +40 years ago did the 1921 designs as a generic diner and a brake.

See my current build thread which will include these converted as 12 wheeler Kitchen Parlor Brakes as Car 94 and 95

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39964.msg484607#msg484607

Stuart Down Under

Hi Snowwolflair!
:thankyousign:

You are of course correct, it is the steel-sided version I need. These were first introduced on LNER in 1928. The earlier wooden-paneled K-types first used on LNER were built in 1924. As there were no parlour brakes in the 1960 build, they ran with K-type brakes, some of which were rebuilds from parlours and kitchens. (Dates from "Pullman, Travelling in Style", Haresnape, 1987)

I have thought about converting old Farish to Parlour brakes, but it looks like a big chopping job to only achieve an approximation of the real thing. The Farish coach has only four window bays, but the K had five bays which appear to be closer set, plus two windows, door and ducket for the brake compartment. And then the sides need flushing! If there is no alternative, then I will have to go that way. I was watching your other thread with interest. That's what made me think about the K-type project!

Snowwolflair

Yes there is only so much conversion you can do and every window correct is a limit, however I am going to change the coaches with six wheel bogies, adjusting the pivot points, and I plan to make some modifications to the interiors where it will be noticed.  I also plan to whitewash the windows where appropriate.

My thoughts this morning have turned to a suitable loco and I have extracted from my "to build" store a BH Enterprisese SR Class N15 King Arthur kit and and a late pool era black 5 for its mechanism.

Progress last night allowed me to cut and fit all the sides and later this evening I will touch up the edges where necessary.  I am also waiting on the arrival of copies of Pullman profiles 1 & 2 which I have perused several times at shows but not enough to memorize all the details and further changes will be made using them as references.

The main thread on the coach build is here http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39964.msg485184#msg485184

RailGooner

Stuart Down Under

Yes, I have now ordered the K-Type Profile book too! It might make it clearer the extent of the work required. It would be good to know if anyone on the forum has been able to acquire the BH Enterprise kit, or found another solution. I thought that all those Mk1 cars from Farish would have driven someone else to solve this problem.

Stevie DC

MikeJ of North of England Line fame, converted eight Farish Pullmans into K-types to represent the Queen of Scots; a lovely job he did too!

IIRC, he cut up the sides to get the correct window spacing and filled in the wooden panelling. I think that Precision Labels did him some appropriate bits for the K-types so that he could complete the set. Hopefully, he'll post up some pictures of his rake.  :D

Stuart Down Under

Thanks, Atso! A project always seems simpler if you know someone else has done it!
:thankyousign:

Stuart Down Under

So I have decided to go for it!  It will be the biggest bash I have attempted to date. Step one done - coaches cut into pieces to reduce window spacing;

I only need two brakes to top and tail the Master Cutler, so it isn't a huge task. The inaugural train of 28 Sept 1960 consisted of Mk1s Eagle, Falcon, Amber and Car No.332, plus the K-type brakes. There is no record of which brakes were attached in the first run. Usual motive power was a shiny new Class 40.

It may be a while before there is anything more to post on developments!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations