DJ Models class 17 Clayton

Started by Dalek, February 03, 2018, 02:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

I think Dave will need to provide some rub down transfers of red diamonds and blue stars and we can all add what we think is correct.  :)

martyn

NeMo

Quote from: Snowwolflair on February 09, 2018, 11:46:48 AM
DJ invoices are out this morning, looking forward to progress.

Just paid mine. Definitely looking forward to this, even though not especially useful on my usual West Country layouts.  ;)

I've ordered the weathered one. I'm assuming that if he's using a Mercig master, it'll have a bit more than a blow-over with an airbrush.  :hmmm:

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Carmont

Quote from: Snowwolflair on February 10, 2018, 01:20:16 PM
I think Dave will need to provide some rub down transfers of red diamonds and blue stars and we can all add what we think is correct.  :)

In some cases, where the control equipment was changed, the blue star was painted/decaled (not a word, I know) over the top of the red diamond! #prototypeforeverything

Dalek

So now this is a goer.... who's doing the sound for one ?

Craig

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Dalek on February 10, 2018, 10:30:30 PM
So now this is a goer.... who's doing the sound for one ?

Craig

"Chinnor & Princes Risborough Railway has undertaken the recording of railway locomotives used on its line, and preparing a Loksound V4.0 chip using these recordings for sale to railway modellers using DCC and sound. The first three of these have been available for a number of months now. Recordings have been taken from GWR 1366 Class pannier, the BR 08 Vac only Diesel shunter D3018 "Haversham" and BR Class 17 Clayton D8511".

A micro Locksound chip should do it.

Caz

Wish I could find a 17 down Oxford way as I think they are quite cute.    ::)  :angel:
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Thorpe Parva

Quote from: Caz on February 11, 2018, 03:54:12 PM
Wish I could find a 17 down Oxford way as I think they are quite cute.    ::)  :angel:

Same here, I'm trying to find out if they ever made it to Leicester. So far it doesn't look like it as the Tinsley/Barrow Hill Locos appeared to either be out of service or on trip workings to local collieries. However I'm continuing to investigate. If no success then after the models are delivered maybe I'll look for an unpowered model on ebay and have it loco-hauled on it's way to the scrap yard!

Snowwolflair

NeMo

Gratuitous footage of my local Class 17, taken when visiting the Princes Risborough and Chinnor Railway last summer. It was here tailing a train fronted by a Pannier tank, hence the rather unusual (for a diesel) whistle part of the way through. Nonetheless, lots of nice Paxman music if that's your thing!

Strangely enough, this loco worked a few miles from where I live, up at the Hemelite works near Hemel Hempstead, where it was used for heavy shunting. Some time later it ended up working at Ribble Cement. But for this bizarre afterlife, this loco might never have made it into preservation.

Cheers, NeMo

Newportnobby

Blimey, Neil. That sounds like a right old bag of spanners. No wonder they were unreliable beasties!

NeMo

Quote from: newportnobby on February 12, 2018, 09:52:11 AM
Blimey, Neil. That sounds like a right old bag of spanners. No wonder they were unreliable beasties!

Indeed! But it's a regular performer at Chinnor, and by all accounts acquits itself well. Preventive maintenance is apparently in order with this class, and the DTG believe that this approach should have been taken by BR if they wanted to the class to behave itself. On the other hand, it's hardly overworked, and apparently works one-engine-only a lot of the time, making it very economical compared with standard big diesels.

Regardless, I can hear the definite whistle of the HST's Paxman 'Ventura' engines in the Class 17, particularly as it picks up speed.

By the way, the Chinnor railway is well worth a visit. As well as the ride out-and-back (which takes about an hour) there are some really good places to take photos, particularly this level crossing at the end of a short path. All the trains stop here, so the guard can open and close the crossing, making it easy to get these lovely close-up lineside shots. For sure there's not a huge variety of traction at Chinnor, but the 'Clayton' is literally unique, which more than makes up for the otherwise commonplace assortment of industrial tank engines and 08 shunters.

Cheers, NeMo

NeMo

Fascinating story, @Lindi; thanks for sharing that.

Changing the subject slightly, does anyone have any idea how the DJM model will cope with Peco Setrack? I'm thinking of building a little layout with a Scottish theme for its benefit, and perforce this will require the use of tight curves and short points simply to fit on the 5' shelf available to it.

Cheers, NeMo

Newportnobby

I'd have thought it would traverse 9" curves perfectly well, albeit with possibly a fair size overhang due to its length, but obviously I don't know that for sure and doubt even Dave does as his diesel bogies are an unknown quantity to us all :hmmm:

railsquid

Quote from: NeMo on February 11, 2018, 06:52:22 PM
Gratuitous footage of my local Class 17, taken when visiting the Princes Risborough and Chinnor Railway last summer. It was here tailing a train fronted by a Pannier tank, hence the rather unusual (for a diesel) whistle part of the way through. Nonetheless, lots of nice Paxman music if that's your thing!

(sound of barrel being scraped)

My maternal grandparents lived in a house in Princes Risborough which backed onto the Chinnor line and seeing the trains trundle to/from to the Chinnor cement works was a regular feature of visits there (as were the 115s blarting their way to/from the general direction of Banbury on the other side of the house). I have vague memories of saying "hello" to the guard in the brake van (pretty sure there was a brake van) when it came to a halt there once. This would have been late 70s. Would that be a sufficiently tenuous connection to justify a 17?  :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations