Hattons enter n gauge market as manufacturer

Started by NGS-PO, November 19, 2018, 12:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy L S

Quote from: Snowwolflair on November 19, 2018, 02:03:32 PM
Quote from: marco neri on November 19, 2018, 01:51:50 PM
I’ve read it on facebook....
but starting with another most simple model...wasn’t a good idea?(IMHO)

Marco

Having built several garrets the last two being accurate rebuilds Of The Skytrex kit using pairs of Dapol Fairburn chassis I have my doubts on performance.  My garrets pull +50 wagons as they should but I doubt a single motor version will pull many more than 20 and the result will just look silly.  We shall see.

I disagree. With traction tyres on some of the driven wheels and adequate traction weight over them it should do fine as long as it picks up off the other six drivers too. It isn't really any different to (say) a tender driven Farish B1 which is powered in effect off the six rearmost wheels and will comfortably pull 40 plus wagons.

Regards

Roy

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Roy L S on November 19, 2018, 08:26:33 PM
I've read it on facebook....
but starting with another most simple model...wasn't a good idea?(IMHO)

Marco

Having built several garrets the last two being accurate rebuilds Of The Skytrex kit using pairs of Dapol Fairburn chassis I have my doubts on performance.  My garrets pull +50 wagons as they should but I doubt a single motor version will pull many more than 20 and the result will just look silly.  We shall see.

I disagree. With traction tyres on some of the driven wheels and adequate traction weight over them it should do fine as long as it picks up off the other six drivers too. It isn't really any different to (say) a tender driven Farish B1 which is powered in effect off the six rearmost wheels and will comfortably pull 40 plus wagons.

Regards

Roy

I can see why you say that but the problem with that concept is in your view. 

There is not enough space in the bunker end to put sufficient weight, traction tyres or not. 

The weight in the boiler is split between the front and rear units equally and every bit of weight added there adds drag the the front.    The reason tender drives work is that the loco in such an arrangement is very lite and adds little resistance something that is impossible in a Garrett configuration.

If you have not played around with Garrets or Fairlie locos I can understand why you don't see the problem.  Think back to the early Farish class 101 DMU and HST models with a single powered bogie and how hopeless they were.  This is a similar weight distribution problem.

JonHarbour

I don't Model LMS or ex-LMS. I have question marks over the haulage capability. Will it stop me ordering one? Probably not!
Still planning a layout...

davidinyork

Seems a very ambitious loco to model for their first foray into the N gauge market.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: JonHarbour on November 19, 2018, 08:46:05 PM
I don't Model LMS or ex-LMS. I have question marks over the haulage capability. Will it stop me ordering one? Probably not!

That's the view i'm taking and I will probably order two, knowing I have two others to pull the long trains.

Roy L S

Quote from: Snowwolflair on November 19, 2018, 08:40:58 PM

Marco

Regards

Roy

There is not enough space in the bunker end to put sufficient weight, traction tyres or not. 

The weight in the boiler is split between the front and rear units equally and every bit of weight added there adds drag the the front.    The reason tender drives work is that the loco in such an arrangement is very lite and adds little resistance something that is impossible in a Garrett configuration.

If you have not played around with Garrets or Fairlie locos I can understand why you don't see the problem.  Think back to the early Farish class 101 DMU and HST models with a single powered bogie and how hopeless they were.  This is a similar weight distribution problem.

I see your point as well, and acknowledge that you have also built some very nice examples so speak with some experience! I guess what we don't know at this point is whether there will be a weight in the boiler or just the front "truck" and then how much (it need only be enough to ensure stability and good pickup). I would hope that Hattons will have done at least some evaluation before arriving at that configuration knowing what the prototype would be expected to pull. Mine (yes already ordered!) will not be regularly called on to pull more than 30 max in any case so should hopefully be OK.

Regards

Roy

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Roy L S on November 19, 2018, 08:51:21 PM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on November 19, 2018, 08:40:58 PM

Marco

Regards

Roy

I see your point as well, and acknowledge that you have also built some very nice examples so speak with some experience! I guess what we don't know at this point is whether there will be a weight in the boiler or just the front "truck" and then how much (it need only be enough to ensure stability and good pickup). I would hope that Hattons will have done at least some evaluation before arriving at that configuration knowing what the prototype would be expected to pull. Mine (yes already ordered!) will not be regularly called on to pull more than 30 max in any case so should hopefully be OK.

Regards

Roy

Yes and that is my "we shall see" reservation.  They might get a good balance and matching mechanism but as a design task it's an order of magnitude greater than a conventional loco.  We can only hope their experience with their 4mm model will contribute to this design, although by all accounts its a poor puller  :doh:

Ben A

Hello all,

I think it is fantastic news that a large retailer has taken the decision to launch a model in N.

It suggests that they have the confidence and ambition to develop the market, which has to be a good thing for all of us.

Personally, I'd be very happy if their next move was any of the Plasser crane, FEA-S flat or Beilhack snowplough.

cheers

Ben A.

Paul-H

Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

emjaybee

Hate to burst your bubble, but there's already five threads on this!
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

voltan

This makes me happy, till I remember I've got no money and can't get one. Overall though, it makes me happy.

Paul-H

That's odd, none of them showed when I searched, I was a bit surprised thinking almost 12 hours after getting the email from Hattons that no one had posted about it.

I wonder why I am not seeing the other threads.
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Stuart Down Under

Checking back at the 2016 poll, the Garratt came 35th on the steam locomotive list. I assume that Hattons have passed over the other 34 because they have already paid for the research on the Garrett. A couple of the top ten are already "promised" by DJ and Dapol, but any SR 4-6-0, or a Standard 4 4-6-0 should outsell the Garrett 2 to 1! Having said that, I'm up for it. If I "stretch" the dates and my imagination, maybe I can use it to haul a failed Blue Pullman!!!
:hmmm:

NinOz

I disagree. With traction tyres on some of the driven wheels and adequate traction weight over them it should do fine as long as it picks up off the other six drivers too.
No! Not traction tyres!  I hate traction tyres! :veryangry:
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations